Ak74 Gas Tube Rail 11.1v Stick Batt

solitaire360

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

This is one for the AK74 owners, could do with your insight.

Am thinking of getting this (see attached/uploaded image). As per the subject, do you think I'll have an issue fitting an 11.1v stick batt in the gun, once this has been installed?

Not being much of a techie, I intend to have this pre-installed, along with a perun v3 mosfet, and a bunch of other things; before I take that leap, I thought I'd best mine our friendly community for information first.

All the best.

20210404_154000.jpg

Edited by solitaire360

• Supporters

it'll vary on the manufacturer, but the railed tubes seem to have a smaller inner diameter to the standard.

for sure the slim-type 7.4v's fit but not so sure on the 11.1v slim variants.

you may end up having to go under the top cover instead which is a tad less convenient for external mosfets.

While you could theoretically put a 11.1v stick battery maybe a 1000mAh, 1100mAh and possibly a 1200mAh I don't believe currently any airsoft manufactured AK does place the battery in the gas tube as it limits the size even more also it would be extremely awkward to install and remove, long wires from the gearbox to the battery connectors not to mention  disassembly and also if you want to change out the gas tube 

Most AK battery's are under the top receiver cover or rear stock model dependant. I know G&G used to do a AKM with the battery housed in a special lower handguard. 

Appreciate the responses, Adolf Hamster & Sniper780.

I was indeed aware of where the battery normally goes on most AK's (including the CM.040 I've got my eye on), but seeing as the last time I used an AK, it took an old-fashioned 9.6v stick battery that was placed under the cover, but could also slide into the upper handguard/gas tube section; not being so familiar with Lipos, I thought perhaps this might be an issue going forward.

Adolf Hamster, as my intention was to use an 11.1v for the sake of upping the rof, if there indeed ends up only being space for a 7.4v once both the mosfet and gas tube have been installed, would it therefore be a better bet to install a higher speed motor instead?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by solitaire360

• Supporters
59 minutes ago, Sniper780 said:

currently any airsoft manufactured AK does place the battery in the gas tube as it limits the size even more also it would be extremely awkward to install and remove

my jg aksu seems intentionally setup, it's the "recoil" model which means they presumably didn't want to shred the battery with the machinations of the mockl bolt cycling, indeed the gas tube is cut out specifically to allow more space.

i still use it as the 800mah 11.1v's i have sit nice and snug, although the recoil mech has long been disabled.

27 minutes ago, solitaire360 said:

the last time I used an AK, it took an old-fashioned 9.6v stick battery that was placed under the cover, but could also slide into the upper handguard/gas tube section; not being so familiar with Lipos, I thought perhaps this might be an issue going forward.

that's still pretty much the case, at least for the non-recoil models i've worked on. it's convenient if you can stuff the end into the gas tube especially if you have a sizable mosfet to deal with.

31 minutes ago, solitaire360 said:

Adolf Hamster, as my intention was to use an 11.1v for the sake of upping the rof, if there indeed ends up only being space for a 7.4v once both the mosfet and gas tube have been installed, would it therefore be a better bet to install a higher speed motor instead?

you can approach it either way, a decent 7.4 with the right motor/gear combo can be plenty snappy enough. really depends which approach you'd rather take.

4 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

my jg aksu seems intentionally setup, it's the "recoil" model which means they presumably didn't want to shred the battery with the machinations of the mockl bolt cycling, indeed the gas tube is cut out specifically to allow more space.

interesting, to be fair there is not many other place you could really house the battery on electric blow back aksu so a widen gas tube is the best place. Do you have to remove the gas tube to install the battery or do you install it via the top receiver and place it in to the/ rear sight block/gas tube?

Edited by Sniper780

I have the Cyma Krinkov AKS-74U and a stick 11.1v LiPo (AK speck, 19mm dia?) will fit all the way through the wooden hand guard, I also owned the "Tactical" version and again the battery would slide into the front grip / gas tube area. Obvs the CM040 is a different beast but it might work.

It currently runs a 7.4v lipo (120mm x 14mm x 18mm) that slides in easily (Ooh Matron!) and leaves plenty of room for the Gate NanoHard Mosfet. With a M115 spring, 16:1 gears, short stroked 3 teeth and a SHS High Torque motor it is a little monster :) Full auto isn't crazy fast but the semi auto trigger response is great (even with the horrible v3 trigger)

• Supporters
12 hours ago, Sniper780 said:

interesting, to be fair there is not many other place you could really house the battery on electric blow back aksu so a widen gas tube is the best place. Do you have to remove the gas tube to install the battery or do you install it via the top receiver and place it in to the/ rear sight block/gas tube?

you could put the battery in through the trunnion if it were narrow enough, the ones i use are just small enough to even fit so i have to pull the upper handguard, feed the wires through the trunnion, set the battery above the barrel and pop the upper handguard back on.

essentially it's a normal enough gas tube with the bottom half cut open so you can get a bit more space between the upper handguard and the barrel.

i'm not sure how the bolt aksu's do it, afaik the recoil mech on those is much more substantial so i can only assume the gas tube is the only free space they have for a battery as well.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.