Would You Buy a Custom Fiberglass Facepro

XukeLho

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm not selling anything yet, just asking around to see if there is a market for it.

I'd like to know if you guys would buy a LOWER face protection, made from fiberglass, from a mold of your face. The idea is to replace the old lower face pro mesh mask. It would fit better in your face (because it would be made from a mold of your face) and it would also fit better around face pro (because you would have the face pro on you when you make the mold).

This would take some work on your part, because of the mold. I haven't yet figured out the best way on how to do this, to keep your work at a minimum.

I'm thinking around 50€ per mask + shipping. How does this price sound to you? For a mask that would fit your face pretty well and not be constantly messing with your eye pro.

Is it too much and I gotta bring it down? Or is its value too low?

If this works out, in the future I could do some more artist work like a Scorpion lower mask. Maybe atempt full face masks (but this would require alot of testing, to make sure its safe to use).

All custom fit ofcorse.

EDIT: To get the face mold, the user would take pictures of himself from different angles (a tutorial video would be provided to help with the process) and upload them so that I can generate a 3D print of theyr face to serve as a mold for the mask.

Let me hear your opinions please.

Edited by XukeLho

8 minutes ago, XukeLho said:

I'm not selling anything yet, just asking around to see if there is a market for it.

I'd like to know if you guys would buy a LOWER face protection, made from fiberglass, from a mold of your face. The idea is to replace the old lower face pro mesh mask. It would fit better in your face (because it would be made from a mold of your face) and it would also fit better around face pro (because you would have the face pro on you when you make the mold).

This would take some work on your part, because of the mold. I haven't yet figured out the best way on how to do this, to keep your work at a minimum.

I'm thinking around 50€ per mask + shipping. How does this price sound to you? For a mask that would fit your face pretty well and not be constantly messing with your eye pro.

Is it too much and I gotta bring it down? Or is its value too low?

If this works out, in the future I could do some more artist work like a Scorpion lower mask. Maybe atempt full face masks (but this would require alot of testing, to make sure its safe to use).

All custom fit ofcorse.

Let me hear your opinions please.

Hi @XukeLho

I take it this mask would be in kit form and very much a DIY kit?

My initial thoughts are that it could be messy and maybe bit involved. I've done fibreglass work on cars and you have to be cautious with that stuff. So how safe would it be for average person to do?

Once the mould is made would it need sending to you to prepare and paint?

Regards 

18 minutes ago, Shamal said:

Hi @XukeLho

I take it this mask would be in kit form and very much a DIY kit?

My initial thoughts are that it could be messy and maybe bit involved. I've done fibreglass work on cars and you have to be cautious with that stuff. So how safe would it be for average person to do?

Once the mould is made would it need sending to you to prepare and paint?

Regards 

This would not be a diy kit. You would send me the mold of your face (still working on the best way to do this) with eye pro, and I would then send you back the lower mask, ready to use.

Sanding would be done, yes, specially on the interior, so it doesn't scratch your face with movement, the exterior would be sanded enough to give a polish look, but not a smooth surface.

For painting I was thinking of black only for starters, but later adding cammo and tan.

Edited by XukeLho

Only issue I could see with using fibreglass and covering the mouth/nose area is anything that causes any kind of damage could cause fibre particle breaking off on the inside and in turn the end user inhaling said particle and fibreglass particles/dust is a bad bad thing to inhale. 
You may want on line the inside with a barrier but that wouldn’t stop any chipping around the air vents...

I can only think that you would have to supply a sheet of thermo softening material that the customer would have to heat and quickly push it intothe nooks and crannies of their boat race.

I really can't see that working out well.

Regards 

I work with fibreglass quite a lot and what you are proposing has been asked before and it always comes up with the issue of getting the wearer to mold their own face. For somebody who knows what they are doing its still tricky and then the mold still has to make it to you without distortion or damage for it to be usable.

if you can solve that within the budget you'll do well.

• Supporters

ANY manufacturing process that involves a member of the public as the end user that also needs them to take accurate measurements of any sort is 100% guaranteed to fail . I speak from experience ! 🤦‍♂️

2 hours ago, Shamal said:

I can only think that you would have to supply a sheet of thermo softening material that the customer would have to heat and quickly push it intothe nooks and crannies of their boat race.

I really can't see that working out well.

Regards 

that shit goes from meh to hot really fast and it’s very ouchy if you get the timing/heat wrong and I hope the vendor has some really good lawyers and insurance.

you have seen that numpteh who used gorilla glue to smooth her hair right ?

Edited by MiK

4 minutes ago, MiK said:

that shit goes from meh to hot really fast and it’s very ouchy if you get the timing/heat wrong and I hope the vendor has some really good lawyers and insurance.

you have seen that numpteh who used gorilla glue to smooth her hair right ?

Haha.Well between you and me years ago I had a light bulb moment regarding nasel hair removal.

I applied cyanoacrylic glue to a cotton bud and inserted in gonker with the plan of a quick tug and presto no hairs

I started to become unsteady on my feet,passed out and wife found me on floor with cotton bud firmly attached up me beak!

They laughed at hospital though😳

Regards 

• Supporters

Not quite as funny as the Asian girl who put a curling brush in a power drill, a real lmfao moment 🤣 

Oh yeah, the one where the guy trys to eat corn on the cob using a power drill too, who knew teeth were so fragile 😁

25 minutes ago, GenuineGerman said:

She has to have surgery as well to remove the glue/hair. Sad reflection on our society really when you feel is ok to put gorilla glue in your hair. 

Haha. Yeah I really can't understand some peoples thinking processes! 😉

39 minutes ago, GenuineGerman said:

She has to have surgery as well to remove the glue/hair. Sad reflection on our society really when you feel is ok to put gorilla glue in your hair. 

thats after she was gonna sue gorilla glue for her hair problems ..... yup you can’t make that shit up ...........

• Supporters
24 minutes ago, Shamal said:

Haha. Yeah I really can't understand some peoples thinking processes! 😉

reckon the reason you can't understand it is because you're assuming that thinking is involved....

7 minutes ago, MiK said:

thats after she was gonna sue gorilla glue for her hair problems ..... yup you can’t make that shit up ...........

to be a fly on that wall.

i mean i can only assume that the glue worked exactly as intended- it glued things together.

but ofc america is the place that brought us the "caution- hot" label on coffee cups, i mean if it ain't feckin hot it's not feckin coffee (coffee being interchangable with tea in that statement)

21 minutes ago, MiK said:

The irony is she would probably win this as there is no disclaimer about not putting in your hair haha 

Edited by GenuineGerman

Can't say the prospect of inhaling fiberglass if the mask breaks up under impacts appeals. Also chances of a customer taking a good mold in the frist place and then it not deforming or breaking during delivery are not high. I could see this being a serious money loser.

What would be good is if you could make a precise model from photos, 3d print your moulds. 

Though I'm not sure if that possible yet and if so how expensive it would be or what equipment is required.

10 minutes ago, Keldon said:

What would be good is if you could make a precise model from photos, 3d print your moulds. 

Though I'm not sure if that possible yet and if so how expensive it would be or what equipment is required.

That is a pretty cool ideia. I'll research that option.

Would have to buy a 3d printer to print the face molds but if it works, would probably be the least  anoying way to get the client face mold.

Updating the OP.

• Supporters

Serious question To OP 

, what experience have you in manufacturing or production ?

plus how old are you ?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.