Lunacy in Public. Man Points Bb Pistol at Police.

AlphaBear

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Another example of complete lunacy! A man with a gas bb pistol rampaging in Leeds. What Is wrong with people? He’s lucky he didn’t get shot for real!

8514C7F6-D9C8-46CC-8290-E535100FC6B7.png

3817D061-49DE-48AF-A12B-834667274500.png

Edited by AlphaBear
Title edited

• AlphaBear changed the title to Lunacy in Public. Man Points Bb Pistol at Police.
  • Supporters

Thing I’d like to know is why didn’t the copper fire ? I know it’s only a single picture and we don’t know the whole story BUT short of actually firing it the nutter with the fake couldn’t look more like a threat to life if he tried ?

direct quote from the Police guidelines ;

The primary intention of the police, when discharging a firearm, is to prevent an immediate threat to life by shooting to stop the subject from carrying out their intended or threatened course of action. In most circumstances this is achieved by aiming to strike the central body mass (ie, the torso).”

So why’s he still breathing ? taking that picture at face value me personally I find it quite worrying that the bloke is still alive . Either the police knew 100% it wasn’t real or it shows some serious hesitation on behalf of the officer confronting him ?

• Supporters

i think some commendation for the police should be given here, as tackle edit: druid mentioned that kind of situation could have escalated to a lethal response and i can only assume it was either remarkable observation or bravery on the part of the officer to have resolved this in a way that left everyone breathing.

i don't know what was going on inside this guys head, was he off the rails? was he trying to get shot 'murca style? or some convoluted political statement?

regardless congrats to the police involved for keeping a cool head and denying the media a clickbait title

There’s any number of reasons why the officer didn’t fire, anything from not having a clear background for over penetration or a miss, to information being passed that it was likely a replica firearm. But that said, from that picture I think he would be totally justified in taking the shot. Although whether the IOPC, press, social media and 5 to 10 years of inquests and court cases would think the same is another matter. Massive credit to the officer though for the bravery and restraint shown.

Stuff like this shows the stupidity of the laws around replica firearms in this country. You have to prove a defence in order to buy a black or realistic coloured airsoft gun, but you can walk into any outdoor activity shop and buy a black pellet gun which looks exactly the same. I can just imagine the comments from people seeing this wanting anything that looks like a gun banned, regardless of the fact that the only person who’s life was at risk in this situation was the idiot with the BB gun.  As far as I’m concerned you should be able to buy what ever replica you want and if you’re stupid enough to act like this idiot with it, then so be it. Let Darwin sort everyone out.

Slowly shakes head.......... 😞

If you want the definition of “Lunacy in Public” you need not look further than a youtuber live streaming in the safe zone at Phoenix Airsoft breaking all of the covid rules of breaking social distancing nor wearing a face mask 

1 minute ago, MiK said:

If you want the definition of “Lunacy in Public” you need not look further than a youtuber live streaming in the safe zone at Phoenix Airsoft breaking all of the covid rules of breaking social distancing nor wearing a face mask 

Was thinking the same lol 

• Supporters
44 minutes ago, MiK said:

tell me, does this youtuber normally wear a mask in-game? covered in leaves perchance?

56 minutes ago, MiK said:

Ahh bless him.

He has the look of a man in love....wiv himself lol.😉

Regards 

25 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

tell me, does this youtuber normally wear a mask in-game? covered in leaves perchance?

13 minutes ago, Shamal said:

Ahh bless him.

Regards 

dunno guys - what do you think ?

4FD30429-17DE-4087-B0C5-05201719E731.jpeg

Edited by MiK

1 hour ago, Shamal said:

Ahh bless him.

Regards 

Clearly in love with his own right hand.

37 minutes ago, Captain Darling said:

Ah, that stay fresh clown.  I was booked in at Phoenix next weekend - I've just cancelled due to this display of utter idiocy.  Not good.

Clearly above the rest of us. 

• Supporters
On 04/04/2021 at 11:45, Adolf Hamster said:

i think some commendation for the police should be given here, as tackle mentioned that kind of situation could have escalated to a lethal response and i can only assume it was either remarkable observation or bravery on the part of the officer to have resolved this in a way that left everyone breathing.

i don't know what was going on inside this guys head, was he off the rails? was he trying to get shot 'murca style? or some convoluted political statement?

regardless congrats to the police involved for keeping a cool head and denying the media a clickbait title

Actually don't think I have commented here yet, gotta commend the officers for their restraint though, one would hope they had humint from the offenders family or friends that it 100% was a rif, & the guy was having some kind of "emotional episode", possibly hoping for "suicide by cop" etc.

it is ridiculous though the fallout from armed officers in the U.K. discharging their firearms, its already proven that the training regime for these guys is the most rigorous in the world, the shitstorm that comes down on them, & the time spent on administrative duties afterwards, even if it's shown to be a righteous shooting, is enough to plant the seed of doubt in the mind of some officers, which in turn puts everyone involved at risk.

thats not acceptable, but I personally can't see a solution being found ?

• Supporters
17 minutes ago, Tackle said:

Actually don't think I have commented here yet, gotta commend the officers for their restraint though, one would hope they had humint from the offenders family or friends that it 100% was a rif, & the guy was having some kind of "emotional episode", possibly hoping for "suicide by cop" etc.

it is ridiculous though the fallout from armed officers in the U.K. discharging their firearms, its already proven that the training regime for these guys is the most rigorous in the world, the shitstorm that comes down on them, & the time spent on administrative duties afterwards, even if it's shown to be a righteous shooting, is enough to plant the seed of doubt in the mind of some officers, which in turn puts everyone involved at risk.

it's a very tricky balance to be struck.

i agree that micro-analysing over years and judging someone for a decision that by its very nature is a split-second choice made under extreme pressure (with all the human fallibility that entails) isn't good, however at the same time i do think that the accountability is needed to ensure officers don't get gung-ho. we need something to motivate them not to pull the trigger unless it is the necessary course of action.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Tackle said:

Had a really good chat with a firearms officer a while ago(I was sorting his shredded arm after a raid) and we were discussing shoot don’t shoot scenarios then , his take was as a British policeman his core ideal is to save life not take it and living in a society that is so against guns so they really are not the norm , no matter how much you train with them there’s still very few officers who don’t have that split second even micro split second hesitation before they pull the trigger , hence when there where all those raids on suspected terrorist sites a few yrs ago and there was thought to be a real risk of suicide bombers it was predominantly SF leading the breaching teams , No hesitation .

Which I freely admit I’m more than happy having a police force the still sees firearms as a necessary evil and NOT something encouraged to be carried every day . 

De-escalation is something I think is something our police use more in general. I see videos from across the pond and they are very quick to pull weapons but then the prevalence of guns there would probably necessitate that.  

9 hours ago, GenuineGerman said:

De-escalation is something I think is something our police use more in general. I see videos from across the pond and they are very quick to pull weapons but then the prevalence of guns there would probably necessitate that.  

It is not the prevalence of weapons that increases use of deadly force in the usa, it is the complete lack of training that many police departments give to de-escalation training, and other issues that I wont point out here due to their political nature.

Unfortunately not being there or having access to all the information the officer had means any commentary on what should or could've happened is just armchair generals. As for policing in the UK and the USA, they're a very different job so comparisons between them is a case of apples and oranges

44 minutes ago, Jaylordofwaargh said:

It is not the prevalence of weapons that increases use of deadly force in the usa, it is the complete lack of training that many police departments give to de-escalation training, and other issues that I wont point out here due to their political nature.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/05/07/the-spy-who-came-home

At Georgia’s state police-training facilities, the focus is “all tactics and law,” Skinner told me. Officers are taught that “once you give a lawful order it has to be followed—and that means immediately.” But the recipient of a “lawful order” may not understand why it’s being issued, or that his or her failure to comply may lead to the use of force. There’s no training on how to de-escalate tense scenarios in which no crime has been committed, even though the majority of police calls fall into that category. It is up to the officer’s discretion to shape these interactions, and the most straightforward option is to order belligerent people to the ground and, if they resist, tackle them and put them in cuffs.

“This is how situations go so, so badly—yet justifiably, legally,” Skinner said. Police officers often encounter people during the worst moments of their lives, and Skinner believes that his role is partly to resolve trouble and partly to prevent people from crossing the line from what he calls “near-crime” into “actual crime.” The goal, he said, is “to slow things down, using the power of human interaction more than the power of the state.”

Really good article, ex-CIA officer who became a rookie cop

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.