Airsoft Range Background?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

7 minutes ago, p90_robATyahoo.com said:

I need a good shock absorber for my range,  I think thick carpet and my partner says foam, but I think foam will damage more with hits where as carpet is made for more wear and tear, does anyone know of anything different? 

Are you trying to keep noise to a minimum? 

Are you setting up outside?

Basically a cotton bedsheet folded over a line will stop a bb and have a degree of sound absorption.

Thick carpet would be overkill and heavy i think unless you are thinking of mechanically fixing it to a solid wall.

👍

Regards 

Regards 

Carpet over foam every day to stop rounds going through. The foam will start breaking away and rounds may go through on parts that have been hit multiple times.

Do you need to control BBs from escaping or deaden noise?

Fine construction netting is pretty much site boundary netting.

A reasonably thick sheet hung and able to swing will aid to deaden noise and reduce force

Foam would then be fine behind it, or rugs/carpet 

I've been told that BB's will work their way through a mesh. We tried fine builders mesh and it didn't even slow them down.

I've tried light cotton dust sheets but even doubled up I got full penetration at 3m. The only thing I've found to work so far is plastic backed heavy duty cotton dust sheet doubled up over a line. I got penetration of the first layer and stopped by the second layer at 3m. The layers are more effective if hanging loose in a pleated way rather than flat. I haven' yet tried non plastic backed dust sheets which may be more effective as they are lighter and able to move more.

I'm willing to give the cotton bedsheet idea a try as lighter weight material may be able to absorb energy better.

We need to protect the walls in our range so we have to contain the BB's fired at very close ranges.

If anyone does have any cheap effective methods I'd love to hear them too.

Old blackout curtains.

If you can find the double lined velvet ones they should be heavy enough not to move a lot, and with a dense ruffle I doubt a bb will even make them move.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fabulous-1970s-Vintage-Curtains-Brown-Velvet-Velour-Retro-210-drop-228-width/254912494297?hash=item3b59f7fad9%3Ag%3A0fQAAOSwLEJgT2Ab&LH_Auction=1

Edited by Iceni

get some gd old shag carpet perfect for stopping the bbs

• Supporters
14 hours ago, miserydrift said:

get some gd old shag carpet perfect for stopping the bbs

He said “shag” Funar Funar ! 🤤

I use closed cell insulation board wrapped in Duck Tape (2"-3" thick) when plinking in the garden.  The BBs embed into the board and the Duck Tape keeps the board from falling apart.  Makes a satisfying thunk as well.

Guys, thank you, all great ideas, my girl did point out to me that I should have specified the range would be in the rear of a large vehicle and space is limited but it’s approx 5metre range and that’s why I’m thinking carpet or foam, I don’t know if there any thing else on the market that can help, but I like these blanket/sheet/curtain ideas for the garden 🤙  I had been using 2 large open fruit&veg boxes (from Iceland), filled with extra flattened boxes to stop everything and and then gorilla taped together round the sides and then tin cans in front of that 🤣

10 hours ago, Druid799 said:

He said “shag” Funar Funar ! 🤤

Very grown up! Lol 🤭😀

4 hours ago, RebelScum said:

I use closed cell insulation board wrapped in Duck Tape (2"-3" thick) when plinking in the garden.  The BBs embed into the board and the Duck Tape keeps the board from falling apart.  Makes a satisfying thunk as well.

Do you mean cellotex? That stuffs bloody expensive lol.

• Supporters
8 minutes ago, Shamal said:

Very grown up! Lol 🤭😀

"I know you are, but what am I?"😛

3 hours ago, Shamal said:

Very grown up! Lol 🤭😀

Do you mean cellotex? That stuffs bloody expensive lol.

I had some left over from a loft insulation job.  Turns out it's also good for absorbing BBs.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.