Gov Has Changed the Rules

oddjob

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

was looking through groups and found the gov has changed the rules for airsoft and other actives co we dont have a recognised body

looks like we have to wait after the 12th April to shoot 

Who this guidance is for

This guidance applies to all indoor and outdoor sport facilities, including but not limited to:

• Indoor gyms and leisure centres
  • sport courts and pitches
  • swimming pools
  • fitness studios
  • golf courses and other single or multi-sport facilities (such as climbing walls, driving and shooting ranges, archery venues and riding centres, and skate parks)

It also includes guidance for providers of saunas, steam rooms and hot tubs such as spa pools or hydrotherapy pools, which may be located in a sport facility or another type of facility.

This guidance does not apply to:

• Facilities which can be used for sport but are primarily used for leisure (such as trampoline parks, bowling alleys and ice rinks) or which provide physical activity which is not a recognised sport (such as airsoft venues) unless these facilities are opening for the provision of elite sport. These types of facilities should follow guidance for the visitor economy.
  • Children’s playgrounds, which should follow the guidance for outdoor gyms and playgrounds, or guidance for soft play areas.

TB H I thought it was pretty clear already, but colour me surprised at a Tory Govt changing things again...:/  So when is the new date then?

As I said in the other thread:

Having read the more detailed guidelines rather than the summaries in the news it always seemed rather optimistic to be opening up airsoft ahead of the 12th April.

Nothing has changed but just a little more clarification has been provided.

• Supporters

Nothing's changed. The rules always stated that that date referred to organised team sport which has always been defined previously as having a governing body.

the local councils have told sites they can go ahead in my area as it was suited by the guidance thats why everyone has started to book up slots. wonder what they will say about it?

why havent we got a body yet?

for a hobby that has grown and still is growing it would be nice to have something that can support the sport of airsoft. 

2 minutes ago, oddjob said:

the local councils have told sites they can go ahead in my area as it was suited by the guidance thats why everyone has started to book up slots. wonder what they will say about it?

why havent we got a body yet?

for a hobby that has grown and still is growing it would be nice to have something that can support the sport of airsoft. 

I’m might well be wrong but to have a governing body you need to be officially recognised as a sport. Please correct me if I’m wrong but sport England doesn’t list airsoft as a sport so is regarded as a hobby.

https://sportengland-production-files.s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/s3fs-public/list-of-uk-recognised-ngbs-and-sport-list-october-2017.pdf

I guess the way is to lobby to have it added as a sport then we have a governing body. 

1 hour ago, GenuineGerman said:

I’m might well be wrong but to have a governing body you need to be officially recognised as a sport. Please correct me if I’m wrong but sport England doesn’t list airsoft as a sport so is regarded as a hobby.

https://sportengland-production-files.s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/s3fs-public/list-of-uk-recognised-ngbs-and-sport-list-october-2017.pdf

I guess the way is to lobby to have it added as a sport then we have a governing body. 

It’s the other way around.

You require a governing body before you can be recognised as a sport.

Paintballs governing body is the UKPSF.

Paintball does not meet the full criteria for Sport England sports recognition, but the UKPSF are recognised by government as the governing body for the (generally defined) sport/activity of paintball 

The requirement for a governing body was explicit in the full guidance that accompanied the roadmap, any change now may just be that airsoft has been named and referred , possibly due to queries from sites in a similar manner to last year when the UKPSF sought clarification on reopening and had paintball named in the guidance 

The first step is for airsoft to form a governing body - or to get behind one or more of the various bodies such as UKARA for retailers, UKAPU for players etc - they could collaborate to form a collective / overarching body

Then the body & community begin to build up the criteria’s for lobbying recognition

The UKPSF represents sites, trade & players with various memberships for each element of the community 

• Supporters
1 hour ago, GenuineGerman said:

isn't it the other way round? ie we need a governing body to lobby for airsoft being a sport?

i do think a governing body would be a good thing, someone to set standards for sites to aspire to and make things a bit more consistent than the complete lottery it is at the minute.

edit: done been ninja'd :P

1 hour ago, Lozart said:

Nothing's changed. The rules always stated that that date referred to organised team sport which has always been defined previously as having a governing body.

.... and the guidance on the road map specified venues needed to align with their respective governing bodies

• Supporters
10 hours ago, Tommikka said:

.... and the guidance on the road map specified venues needed to align with their respective governing bodies

...and we don't have a governing body. Airsoft isn't a sport, it's a leisure activity. 

11 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

i do think a governing body would be a good thing, someone to set standards for sites to aspire to and make things a bit more consistent than the complete lottery it is at the minute.

Agreed but I don't think it's going to be an easy task, think of all the subdivisions and niches within airsoft, I wouldn't want to be in charge of trying to keep everyone happy.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.