English Shooting Youtube

gunbod007

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I am sure some of you know this channel, he has been doing some Airsoft related videos and live streams lately. Lots of chat about if practical shooting counts as a valid defence.

• Supporters

Can't really see a way you can claim a 'need' for a RIF when so many practical shooters run funky coloured 2011s/Hi-Capas.  Not that I personally agree with a citizen 'needing' something having to be the justification for not banning it, but that's how UK law is.  The more realistic end of the dress up spectrum of airsoft is what's keeping RIFs legal (vs just IFs) and fewer and fewer people seem to be grasping that as time goes by.

Honestly seeing at how things have turned out for Australia and Canada Im happy with our laws in UK. not perfect but I dont want to rock that boat and start getting negative attention by pushing it.

Honest though, 3 games to get a UKARA defence and practice if your 3 gun skills translate is a better idea than just not trying a skirmish.

Besides 2 tone doesnt change how a RIF performs so theres no draw back to them.

• Supporters

How on earth does the fact the paint doesn't change the flight of the bb correlate to there being, de facto, "'no drawback to them"?  If you happen to personally be ok with IFs then in your opinion there is no drawback, that is not the same as there universally being no drawback.  I can guarantee you with absolute certainty a very large proportion of this website's user base that absolutely sees 50% luminous green paint on their replicas being a significant drawback, to put it mildly.

Cosmetic is not a drawback. Its a preference. 

You're taking everything out of context to what this thread is asking. Im not saying those who skirmish should have two tone. I said I wouldn't want to tempt fate by pushing to allow what constitutes as a defence be broadened as that may attract negative attention. 

Those who use airsoft solely for practical shooting wont be impacted by only being limited to two tone guns in any way. The preference for us skimers is to blend it, which is why we want RIF, it serves no additional purpose. 

12 minutes ago, TheFull9 said:

How on earth does the fact the paint doesn't change the flight of the bb correlate to there being, de facto, "'no drawback to them"?  If you happen to personally be ok with IFs then in your opinion there is no drawback, that is not the same as there universally being no drawback.  I can guarantee you with absolute certainty a very large proportion of this website's user base that absolutely sees 50% luminous green paint on their replicas being a significant drawback, to put it mildly.

Whilst I agree 100% with what you are saying, I probably fall into the minority. There are many who would see permanently two-toned guns as an absolute show-stopper and would move away from the hobby pretty quickly. They want 'realism', even if that ends at the point of pulling the trigger where their gun sounds like an angry sewing machine.

Me? well, I like realistic guns, but could live without them if I had to, I just enjoy shooting people.

Whether that's with a perfect copy of a DEVGRU/CAG blaster, or something that looks like it was spat out of Hasbro's factories, makes no odds to me at the end of the day.

25 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

Whilst I agree 100% with what you are saying, I probably fall into the minority. There are many who would see permanently two-toned guns as an absolute show-stopper and would move away from the hobby pretty quickly. They want 'realism', even if that ends at the point of pulling the trigger where their gun sounds like an angry sewing machine.

Me? well, I like realistic guns, but could live without them if I had to, I just enjoy shooting people.

Whether that's with a perfect copy of a DEVGRU/CAG blaster, or something that looks like it was spat out of Hasbro's factories, makes no odds to me at the end of the day.

That would be the difference between skirmishing and sports/target shooting 

The Skirmishing defence for RIFs is based on the immersion with realism, and succeeded in passing the test under the VCR Bill consultation, whereas for target shooting etc it’s the function and looks are less important 

Realistic for me please.

I like the look of a rif and can appreciate the work that has gone into making it look as close to its rs counterpart as possible.

Plus its always a talking point when family or friends come over.I can get a couple of gats down and get a buzz when they admire and ask questions about them.

If on the other hand I fetched down a couple of see through gats with orange and green parts on them then people will think I'm just an old fool with toy guns under the bed.

I'm not really having a go at if's because they are a necessary evil until you have gone through the process of ukara. Just my opinion.👍🙂

Regards 

20 hours ago, gunbod007 said:

I am sure some of you know this channel, he has been doing some Airsoft related videos and live streams lately. Lots of chat about if practical shooting counts as a valid defence.

I didn’t want to go into 2 hours of streaming, but I’ve ended up doing so

My key thoughts on a points that he or his listeners brought up are:

Advisory/guidance or legislation:

Its not guidance.  He does get it right that it would be the seller who has to face a court and justify their interpretation of the buyers defence, but the defences are explicit in legislation (or to be more precise for skirmishing that its under statutory instrument)

UKARA isn’t legislation, so he could have meant that.  It’s a scheme to meet the legislations requirement of skirmisher.

He stretched the theatrical defence a bit far.  Theatrical includes TV & Film, but ‘being a YouTuber’ who makes shooting videos isn’t theatrical for the purposes of justifying a RIF. (He may have managed to get a retailer to sell on that basis)

Someone may like to enlighten me on what the ‘British Army airsoft converted Glocks’ are.  He pulled a face too

3 hours ago, Shamal said:

I'm just an old fool with toy guns under the bed.

Where is the lie? 😂 aren't we all though, well with varying locations of said toys and our ages? 

Does UKARA work? Yes

Should it be bound so closely to particular sites, we have that discussion often enough. 

Does a youtuber meet the 'production' requirements? I wouldnt want to defend it

I don’t care.

I have my defence from playing at a registered, insured site.

What difference does it makes if that game is PP, 3gun, target practice or some type of skirmish?

meh

As someone who is on both sides I can understand why IPSC shooters want to be able to acquire RIF's. We don't 'need' a black gun but we do like our guns to be aesthetically pleasing to us and there are I think few people who would consider the average two toned pistol to be attractive.

My IPSC Open class pistol ( red trigger going in today😄)

452068116_Opengun.thumb.jpg.325d05c4194549123bba52852c164451.jpg

I feel I am lucky that Hi-Capa's have plenty of choice of colourful bits (as long as you throw money at them) and I could buy one like this just for IPSC shooting. I can understand shooters being a bit miffed that they need to pay an extra £100 at least on top of the cost of a gun just to get a good quality paint job.

Some people prefer black guns but I only 'need' a black gun for skirmishing,  I like colourful guns otherwise.

The purpose of the VCRA is to prevent the criminal use of RIF's. Whether the purchase of a RIF by a member of the UKPSA who would be fully insured for any IPSC shooting activities was felt to be within the 'spirit' of the VCRA will never be known until it's tested in court. Personally I prefer not to take chances. Can't wait for my first game on the 4th.🤞

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.