We GBBR Opinions

FreeFrag.UK

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So over the last few months I've been considering picking up another L85. Originally I was considering just grabbing another AEG (preferably an L85A1) and throwing a SUSAT on it, idea being that it would serve me for the mid 80's through to late 90's.

More recently I've been toying with the idea of picking up a WE L85A2 GBBR as I figure a lot of people don't know the difference between a A1 and an A2 (at least without the help of a rail system) and I figured the SUSAT would still be befitting, at least up to the point where my ICS workhorse could/would take over. My main hesitation is picking up magazines just for a single gun (yea, ok, I do it for a lot of AEG's and GBBP's so I guess this could be seen as hypocrisy) and this in turn got me wondering about the other GBBR's from WE that run the STANAG magazines (M4 mag's for those who don't know what a STANAG mag is).

I was curious if anyone had any first hand experience (or immediate knowledge) of how the current batch of WE M16 and M4 GBBR's are in terms of quality, reliability, longevity and performance. As it stands I'm thinking about the M16 with the intention of throwing on an M203/Heatshield combo (assuming this would even fit?).

Admittedly a big reason for this question is that it would help further cement the idea of getting the GBBR L85 due to the mag's being useful for more than one gun.

I know that TM and GHK both tend to hold the crown when it comes to GBBR M4's and M4's/AK's but at this stage any M4/M16 would purely be to add value to the magazine investment attached to the WE L85 GBBR.

• Supporters

i mentioned it in the other thread but a mate of mine has a WE m16 and the 2 main issues he's run into are the sear wearing down in the trigger and the nozzle jumping out of alignment and smashing itself.

however for the most part i think it's otherwise been fine, and he's the kind of fella that does tend to be rough on his gear.

if you were only getting an m4 it would be so easy to say go for an mws, but as you're really wanting an l85 then you're kind of in a similar boat to me with the dragonuv- WE is your only option for that platform.

I have a WE M16A1 but not used in a game as I don't have enough magazines.

With more mags it would be fine for skirmishing.  (I don't bother because I still think AEG's are more practical to skirmish with)

WE may not be the best GBBRs out of the box for quality or longevity but mine has worked flawlessly and when parts do break or wear out there are many spares and after market parts available at reasonable prices. (Parts are scarce now because of Covid)

So yeah, I would recommend em.

Edited by EDcase

@Adolf Hamster To be honest if it wasn't for looking into the WE L85 then I'd probably just replace my AK's with a single GHK GBBR and keep the rest of my NATO stuff as AEG's.

@EDcase Based on your experiences then would you be of the inclination to recommend sticking with AEG's for regular skirmishing and longer duration events?

Admittedly the parts availability and variety were points of consideration when looking at the viability of the WE's. I read any article from around 5 years ago last night and while they'd noted various bits of wear over the 15k - 20k BB's it had had through it they noted that it probably still had another 5k - 10k before looking at replacing anything due to regular wear and tear. He stated that the only part he'd replaced was adding in an NPAS, which I'd definitely be doing right out of the gate anyway.

For skirmishing AEG's are more practical in my mind because most others are using them and as such the majority of your opponents will be shooting at you with lots of ammo and no cooldown effects.  This means most people spray in short or long bursts and only a few use single shots.  Some do play with GBBRs so its up to you depending on your play style.  I just think it would get too frustrating to go against that kind of firepower. (Especially when it can take a few hits to get people out)

With GBBR's you'll be mainly using single shot and be weighed down by 6 or more heavy magazines.

If there was a regular GBB only game near me then I'd convert straight away.

Even though WE's are the cheaper end of GBBRs I think the parts will last a decent amount of time before breaking or wearing if they're well looked after.

If you can carry more than one rifle to a game day you could play with the L85 GBB and then switch to AEG when you feel like it.

Edited by EDcase

Love my WE L85. bought it as an unknown at an airsoft jumble and restored it. It's fun to run and very easy to work on. I have 3 WE GBBRs which all get gamed from time to time, they run on red gas all year round. The 30 round mags require a different game style, but I enjoy playing sneaky and using single shot . 

Part's will no doubt wear although I havn't as yet replaced any failed parts on any of them.  They require more looking after than an AEG but I enjoy that aspect of them TBH.

Get one, you'll love it !

Nick

@EDcase Admittedly, I previously owned a Tokyo Marui MWS and parted with it, somewhat reluctantly, for a few different reasons. Admittedly I never found that I suffered against AEG's in terms of volume of fire/rate of fire but I'm perhaps in the minority that runs low/real cap's and tends to favour semi-auto (I do use short bursts depending on the circumstances) over full auto. I was curious as to your position and reasoning on the matter, hence the question, I definitely appreciate your thoughts and feedback.

Part of the draw for returning to a GBBR for my primary is that I find the maintenance far easier (and less stressful) than AEG's.

@Nick G I'm a bit surprised to hear that you run them on red all year round, out of curiosity why is this? As a further curiosity which three GBBR's do you run from WE? Are there any particular pitfalls (or other quirks/traits) to be aware when venturing into WE's GBBR's?

9 minutes ago, FreeFrag.UK said:

@EDcase Admittedly, I previously owned a Tokyo Marui MWS and parted with it, somewhat reluctantly, for a few different reasons. Admittedly I never found that I suffered against AEG's in terms of volume of fire/rate of fire but I'm perhaps in the minority that runs low/real cap's and tends to favour semi-auto (I do use short bursts depending on the circumstances) over full auto. I was curious as to your position and reasoning on the matter, hence the question, I definitely appreciate your thoughts and feedback.

Part of the draw for returning to a GBBR for my primary is that I find the maintenance far easier (and less stressful) than AEG's.

In that case you know what to expect and that's good.

Its certainly possible to play with a GBBR but some may be upset by the challenge.

GBBRs are easier to disassemble but I think they need more care than an AEG.

I would strip, clean and re-grease a GBBR and mags after a game day but an AEG I would just make sure the spring is unbound, unload the mags and put the batteries away. 

Edited by EDcase

12 hours ago, FreeFrag.UK said:

@Nick G I'm a bit surprised to hear that you run them on red all year round, out of curiosity why is this? As a further curiosity which three GBBR's do you run from WE? Are there any particular pitfalls (or other quirks/traits) to be aware when venturing into WE's GBBR's?

I use red mainly because i like the little bit of extra kick , and it hasn't caused me any issues so far. Tend to run my pistols on it too. Obviously it's better in colder weather anyway.

I've got the L85, G36C and my L119 which is based on a WE M4. The Stanags suffer more with cooldown than the G36 ones . I find keeping a hand warmer in the mag pouches helps in cold weather . The 'double' Stanag is quite nice, more rounds and a much bigger gas reserve, however they make the L85 a bit awkward due to the bulpup design.  The hop in the L85 and M4 platform is a bit of a faff to adjust but is fine once dialed in. The G36 hop is much easier to adjust. All of mine have an NPAS fitted so I can set the fps on any given day. The bolt stop on the M4 is a bit hit and miss , I'm looking into fitting a real steel one, just waiting for it to arrive. 

Worth replacing the hop rubber, I use Maple Leaf which I find work well for me. 

I havn'y had any serious failures with any of them, the usual GBB O ring issues now and then and that's about it. They get striped and serviced regularly which I enjoy . When parts fail I'll take a view on replacing with stock or 'upgraded' parts but so far I've not had to replace anything.

I know WE are not everyones cup of tea , but I have the GBBRs and probably half a dozen pistols from them and havn't had any issues with any of them .

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.