The Most Boring Noob Question - Knee Pads?

38super

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Most people recommend knee pads but I've never had much success with them myself. Always found them more trouble than they were worth. For the odd occasion when I've needed them they have usually slipped down to my ankles or I'm constantly pulling them up. Either too loose to stay put or tight enough to cut off the circulation in my legs. I've tried some trousers with the built in knee pad pockets but as I'm vertically challenged the pockets are at shin level.

I'm thinking maybe adding custom pockets to my trousers which could be tricky or using velcro patches to try to keep the pads in place.

Does any one have any fool proof tips or ideas for knee pro?

I've got a few pairs of Helikon trousers with the built-in internal knee pockets. Their foam inserts are pretty big so may be a solution? Got mine from Military 1st.

For knackered knees then pads are almost esential.

I have a pair that are secured by velcro which are prone to falling down. I secure them in place by wrappinng eletrical tape a few times around the pad and my leg. It looks silly but it keeps them in place.

Have you tried Altaflex knee pads? I've had good luck with them, and own several (different colour) sets. They're amongst the best I've come across.

https://www.military1st.co.uk/ok-afl-cd-34-alta-tactical-altaflex-knee-pads-multicam.html

• Supporters
13 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

Have you tried Altaflex knee pads? I've had good luck with them, and own several (different colour) sets. They're amongst the best I've come across.

https://www.military1st.co.uk/ok-afl-cd-34-alta-tactical-altaflex-knee-pads-multicam.html

+1 for AltaFlex pads. Before I moved to trousers with built in pads these were my go-to and they never ended up around my ankles. Top tip - try crossing the straps over in an X behind your knee.

• Supporters

sewing a pocket and adding a builder-style foam pad is absolutely viable, if you have the requisite sewing skills.

i do preferr trouser mounted as it's the least intrusive method.

that said, currently i don't use knee pads, but my game style generally allows that if i need to kneel i'm not doing it in a hurry nor being particularly mobile in a kneeled position.

Since I've already got the pocket inserts looks like it's time to brush up on my sewing skills. If that fails I'll try the Altaflex.

Like you I'm in the shorter leg category, but need to wear knee protection with work as well as play. I've found over the years there's no sub for good kit. 

I've moved most of my kit to clawgear of late, as they are tailored well and the knee protection is adjustable as to its position and fit.

I appreciate it is not the cheapest of gear but I've found both the raider and operater to be great.

Guest Mr. No_Face

Might want to invest in a pair of Viper Elite Trousers. These are what I wear and will solve your problem for the most part. A little pricey but you're getting great quality with Viper gear.

1200_Viper_Elite_Gen2_VCamBlack_01_2.jpg

7 minutes ago, SLACK_JAW said:

A little pricey but you're getting great quality with Viper gear.

Viper is hardly pricey, it's very much at the lower end of the price scale for those style of trousers, although the quality is reasonable for the money paid. Good enough for most people's LARPsoft/BBWarz.

Guest Mr. No_Face
10 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

Viper is hardly pricey, it's very much at the lower end of the price scale for those style of trousers, although the quality is reasonable for the money paid. Good enough for most people's LARPsoft/BBWarz.

67 pounds Is in the lower end? Compared to my UF PRO gear where you're forking out 100 pounds minimum correct. But I have seen those style of pants for 30 pounds.

EDIT: just did another search you can even get them for 24 pounds. 67 pounds is some "lower end". Sheesh

Edited by Mr. No_Face

• Supporters

I've seen people mod trousers with a couple of improvised belt loops sewn on the seams either side of the knee, then your kneepad straps looped through them.

Means they stay at the right height, but also don't need to be stupidly tight, virtually cutting off the circulation.

1 hour ago, concretesnail said:

Like you I'm in the shorter leg category, but need to wear knee protection with work as well as play. I've found over the years there's no sub for good kit. 

I've moved most of my kit to clawgear of late, as they are tailored well and the knee protection is adjustable as to its position and fit.

I appreciate it is not the cheapest of gear but I've found both the raider and operater to be great.

Let's assume that I'm not in a position to spend more on my trousers than I spent on my RIF. They do look like good kit though.

49 minutes ago, heroshark said:

This look like an idea worth pursuing though.

1 hour ago, SLACK_JAW said:

Might want to invest in a pair of Viper Elite Trousers. These are what I wear and will solve your problem for the most part. A little pricey but you're getting great quality with Viper gear.

Unless they have moveable knee pads the leg length will be wrong for me (28" inside leg)

9 minutes ago, Tackle said:

I've seen people mod trousers with a couple of improvised belt loops sewn on the seams either side of the knee, then your kneepad straps looped through them.

Means they stay at the right height, but also don't need to be stupidly tight, virtually cutting off the circulation.

I like this idea. Similar to what I had in mind using velcro but simpler.

I think @Tacklenailed it with his idea.

Four of these ITW Nexus Square loops sewn onto the outside of the trousers for each leg (two a side). Pass the knee pad strap through them, means no way to slide down. Clever and very cheap if you are handy with a sewing machine.

image.png.680eb244a4f113f763ac83c5ae646ed2.png

Edited by Speedbird_666

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Tackle said:

Now that is a 200iq strat if ever i heard it

Personally I've used these with great success. The bottom strap is solid so you can tighten it behind your knee above your calf and the to step is elasticated. Really protective and are always where I need them to be when I need them to be there. 

IMG_20200830_194218.jpg

helikon_altacontour_knee_pads_olive_ALL_1.jpg

15 minutes ago, PopRocket123 said:

Personally I've used these with great success. The bottom strap is solid so you can tighten it behind your knee above your calf and the to step is elasticated. Really protective and are always where I need them to be when I need them to be there.

Are those AltaContours? I think it can be agreed that Alta makes really good products.

• Supporters

The secret with knee pads is not to go horizontal with the straps but to cross them behind your knees , as in top strap to bottom slider and visa versa , unless you’ve got straps that are way too long for your Skinny chicken legs then I pretty much guarantee they’ll stay ‘up’ 👍

1 hour ago, Speedbird_666 said:

Are those AltaContours? I think it can be agreed that Alta makes really good products.

Can't remember. Just remember that I got them for a reasonable price from military 1st

7 hours ago, SLACK_JAW said:

Agreed. I run viper multicam with built in knee pads. Adjustable for leg hight from trouser pockets.

6 hours ago, Speedbird_666 said:

Great quality for less. Winner winner chicken dinner.

Those police riot squad knee pads look daft but work very well.  They can't fall down and allow you to run through sodden undergrowth without getting soaked.  They do different leg lengths and can be painted (thankfully).  

I can see me sewing a few pairs of strides over the weekend mind, looking at the belt loop idea.  Cheers!

• 2 years later...
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.