Looking for Thoughts on Eye Pro

38super

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters
55 minutes ago, 38super said:

Can you attach face pro to the Bolle Trackers or would that not work?

I'm sure you probably can. @heroshark is the man to talk to though, it's what he does!

3 hours ago, Lozart said:

I'm sure you probably can. @heroshark is the man to talk to though, it's what he does!

Yep don't work so well with the China made mesh masks. I've always made custom ones for the bolle tracker frames. As said more substantial frames are more straight forward depending on the profile. I think x800 gives a fair seal, good ventilation, easy to mount a mask.

I've got some Revision bullet ants, which don't sweat up too much when they've had a rub with a revision wipe.

Also got some @heroshark Speartooth's and cannot fault the quality. 

Both pairs have taken direct hits with no bother.

I have been running Bolle Tracker II's for the last few years with FogStop (FaceBook) or ReVision antifog wipes. 

DeltaMike face pro is great and can be used with ear protection.

I have Honeywell set, active protection / amplification and comms input....plus half the price and ACTUALLY WORK vs Earmor! EdgarBrothers stock them.

Ear pro is a good idea because being shot in the ear really, really hurts and tinnitus is a bitch. Outdoors might not be an issue but a Mk5 going off in the 2m x 1m concrete cell you are in is another matter!

• Supporters
24 minutes ago, SSPKali said:

tinnitus is a bitch

Amen GIFs | Tenor

27 minutes ago, SSPKali said:

I have Honeywell set, active protection / amplification and comms input....

By the way - are we talking Howard Leight here?

39 minutes ago, SSPKali said:

Ear pro is a good idea because being shot in the ear really, really hurts and tinnitus is a bitch. Outdoors might not be an issue but a Mk5 going off in the 2m x 1m concrete cell you are in is another matter!

I Invested in a couple set of Peltor XPs for this reason - I was playing CQB at a (now closed) local site semi-regularly against a team (5-6 players) with literally bandoliers loaded with (no exaggeration) 5-10 BFGs each strapped to them. Within a 10 minute match, you could expect to be on the receiving end of literally dozens of BFGs. The noise was mental and literally damaging.

It got so bad that some of us wouldn't play the kill house game (one team defends a small building, attackers from 360 degrees around it) if said team was playing that day. I think the refs implemented a 1 grenade per player per game rule in the end.

I hear (no pun intended) that Howard Leights/Honeywell are pretty good especially at the £55 posted price point. I've not heard such good things about Earmors.

• Supporters
10 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

I hear (no pun intended) that Howard Leights/Honeywell are pretty good especially at the £55 posted price point. I've not heard such good things about Earmors.

Maybe I'm the lucky one but I've not had any real issues with my Earmors. The spring in the battery compartment leaves a bit to be desired but it's nothing that a quick stretch with a pair of pliers doesn't fix. I am tempted by a pair of Howard Leights though based on cost and the desire for a second headset to use when I'm not wearing a helmet.

3 minutes ago, Lozart said:

Maybe I'm the lucky one but I've not had any real issues with my Earmors. The spring in the battery compartment leaves a bit to be desired but it's nothing that a quick stretch with a pair of pliers doesn't fix. I am tempted by a pair of Howard Leights though based on cost and the desire for a second headset to use when I'm not wearing a helmet.

I'm sure if you get a 'good' pair then you're golden with Earmors.

Another alternative to Howard Leights is the slightly more expensive (but slightly cooler looking) Walkers Razor Slim. I've not seen in the 'real', but apparently they are somewhat comparable to the HLs.

image.png.424c42c1a4d978dcaa0605e16ec1dc7d.png

https://www.bushwear.co.uk/products/razor-slim-electronic-muffs-flat-dark-earth

I once had some Bolle glasses, not sure of the model. They were good except fogged with a lower face mask.

Also I didn't really feel like they offered the best and safest seal.

Got the Pyromex I-Force now because Novritsch.

Haven't used them in the field yet

7 hours ago, Lozart said:

Amen GIFs | Tenor

By the way - are we talking Howard Leight here?

Yes, those are the ones.

My current options (that I've had a few years now) are the Bolle 800s and revision bullet ant.

I favour the bullet ant for most skirmishes since their lower profile makes them easier to fit under hats and the like. You can also usually pick them up on Ebay since they were/are UK issued. You can then also just get replacement lenses. So pick up a used set for £15-£20 and a new set of lenses for similar. Much cheaper than £75 for a new set. Obviously rip the foam lining out of them to aid airflow. I find them to be low fog, but if I'm running hot and static then they can fog (to be fair, I'm not using any coatings/sprays). Easy to take apart and clean as well. I think I'm on my second set of these as the originals eventually perished (possibly aided by cam cream).

The bolles are excellent if I'm running a helmet, and I prefer to wear them in these situations as they cover more of the gaps. In combination with a mesh lower, you get decent full face coverage. Airflow is good. Again, it is possible to get them to fog, but generally they don't. Again, easy to break down and replace/clean lenses as needed.

Both of these are obviously properly ANSI rated and probably worth replacing the lenses every couple of years to allow for UV breakdown and general wear and tear.

I don't do mesh because I find it reduces visibility/light too much for my liking (plus, shattering bb potential) or shooting glasses since I shot some off someones face with a 3rd burst from about 20m.

Worth mentioning that if you want no fogging, face and ear protection and certified lens's the Dye i4 is worth every penny. 

My first airsoft purchase (as playing loads of CQB) and you can get them in camo / subdued colours if you are not a speedyboi 🤣

Only possible downside is needing to raise your optic a bit higher, depending on platform (MP5 amd AK are not an issue)

• Supporters
6 minutes ago, DerDer said:

Reminds me of the bodge jobs with RPG optic sights attached to AKs.

afaik that isn't so much a bodge as they use the same mount?

but yeah the NIT-A is the most extreme of the examples, but even the 1P63 is pretty damn high and i can confirm a riser of some form is basically a requirement.

28 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

afaik that isn't so much a bodge as they use the same mount?

but yeah the NIT-A is the most extreme of the examples, but even the 1P63 is pretty damn high and i can confirm a riser of some form is basically a requirement.

Fair enough, bodge wasn't the right word for it.  Russian kit can be, in some cases, rather interesting in the ergonomics department. 

• Supporters
32 minutes ago, DerDer said:

Fair enough, bodge wasn't the right word for it. 

"Field expedient"

32 minutes ago, DerDer said:

Russian kit can be, in some cases, rather interesting in the ergonomics department. 

Yeah, although weird as some of it is, it also seems to work quite well.

Thanks for all the input. I've gone for some Bolle X800 (used but perfect condition) as I couldn't resist the offer.

Bolle X800 + ESS V12's + what looks like a 'Delta Mike' face pro + an old Airframe helmet for £50.

Now I have to put a helmet build together.

Anyone know how to identify the make of an Airframe helmet?

IMG_20210317_205352.thumb.jpg.df868f7cc74e038389fbbe5924ad5729.jpg

• Supporters
2 minutes ago, 38super said:

Thanks for all the input. I've gone for some Bolle X800 (used but perfect condition) as I couldn't resist the offer.

Bolle X800 + ESS V12's + what looks like a 'Delta Mike' face pro + an old Airframe helmet for £50.

Now I have to put a helmet build together.

Anyone know how to identify the make of an Airframe helmet?

IMG_20210317_205352.thumb.jpg.df868f7cc74e038389fbbe5924ad5729.jpg

The manufacturer is usually moulded into the inside of the shell if it isn't on a label you can see. You'll probably need to get the liner out to find it.

7 minutes ago, Lozart said:

The manufacturer is usually moulded into the inside of the shell if it isn't on a label you can see. You'll probably need to get the liner out to find it.

It doesn't have a liner just individual pads. I guess I'll just have to pull them all out until I find the marking. I'm probably going to replace all the padding anyway.

It's most likely FMA as there aren't that many choices in the Airframe.

• Supporters
Just now, 38super said:

It doesn't have a liner just individual pads. I guess I'll just have to pull them all out until I find the marking. I'm probably going to replace all the padding anyway.

It's most likely FMA as there aren't that many choices in the Airframe.

Fair point. How is it for comfort? I'm thinking about getting one on account of my massive bonce.

5 minutes ago, Lozart said:

Fair point. How is it for comfort? I'm thinking about getting one on account of my massive bonce.

I can't really say at the moment. Only got it last night and some of the padding is missing. A size 58 hat was too small for my head so I'm probably about 60cm and the helmet has room to move on me. I'll update when I've sorted out the padding.

I started off with Dye i4. it fogged up as did my glasses in it

Tried ESS, Sawflies, Novritch's, all fogged very easily.. Revision wipes, cat cr*p etc all tried

Moved onto Bolle X800, much better, great viz and the Bolle's only fogged a bit at the edges, but my glasses steamed up. You also have the fun of google strap, face half mask strap and helmet strap etc

Upgraded to a WarQ, and Perfect. No fog ever, both mask or glasses, Just one strap, comfy, light, full protection and coms built in. I wear Ghost Strike ear defender/amplifiers under it. Only negative on it is you need a 1" riser to counter the large face guard. Vision is exceptional wearing it. Not going back to googles

Since I've picked it up basically for free I'm going for a helmet build. One Tigris mask attached to X800 goggles and both secured to the helmet by one strap, ear defenders mounted to the arc rails with input ready for comms if I get to that stage. There's a whole new world of helmet accessories I didn't know about. If nothing else it's giving me something to do.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.