Another One for 'Lct Quality Assurance'

Asomodai

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Just got this TKMS. Really looking forward to it. Bought all the upgrade bits I would put in it as well as order the Wood kit from Asia. 

Go to line up the sights and I got this. 

1619098023_AkSight.thumb.png.9089735a0dcd7299d35b6917259f904c.png

It appears that the Top Cover/Receiver is completely misaligned with the Rear sight/trunnion. The Gas block frame is also misaligned with the rear and front sight, which means the front rail is also not aligned with the sights. My guess is that the Receiver and Rear sight block holes for the rivets were not drilled/punched in the correct place at the factory. Without a new receiver and Rear sight block, its impossible to know which. I own many AK’s and whilst many have characterful Rear and Front sight alignment; this is the first time I have seen the rear sight block and receiver pointing in completely the wrong direction.

I have requested a return under Distance Selling Regs. Hopefully I wont have any issues. 

• Supporters

the top cover seems to be pretty standard fare for ak's, it's one of the reasons for the side mount.

maybe it's the image, although kudos for getting most of it in focus, bit the front sight looks ok?

the rear does look like it's rotated left and anticlockwise a bit although maybe i'm imagining it.

i have had this with e&l's with the barrel mounting, although you can kind of wrestle it straight during reassembly and it sits good enough.

1 hour ago, Adolf Hamster said:

maybe it's the image, although kudos for getting most of it in focus, bit the front sight looks ok?

the rear does look like it's rotated left and anticlockwise a bit although maybe i'm imagining it.

You're seeing exactly I see. Its very much to the left. Yet looking at the rear sight mount the outer barrel is mounted straight. Which means either the reciever or the rear sight is mounted on wrong. 

I would just barely let it slide if my E&Ls were bad. But this is far worse. Combined with not being able to adjust my optics enough to shoot straight, its not on imo. 

Edited by Asomodai

Does the RIS clamp to the barrel with a couple of slotted wing clamp/fasteners? Could it be something so simple as they went finger tight then just dogged up one side without looking at the final alignment. Would of thought if you drop the top of the rail off there's going to be 4 screws that hold the RIS to the barrel. Slacken them re-align and re-tighten. The RIS isn't an M4 floating style where the gun/RIS is bent if the alignment is off rotationally.

The other mount method just has 4 screws on the outside of the RIS visible from the top of the rail. Again it's susceptible to be put on crooked as it just slips over the gas tube then the lower part sits in place with a shim and the 2 parts are screwed together... A quick slacken and re-align Is all it should take. But you may also have to slacken the gas tube via the take down pin on the rear mounting of the gas tube.

Edited by Iceni

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Asomodai said:

You're seeing exactly I see. Its very much to the left. Yet looking at the rear sight mount the outer barrel is mounted straight. Which means either the reciever or the rear sight is mounted on wrong. 

I would just barely let it slide if my E&Ls were bad. But this is far worse. Combined with not being able to adjust my optics enough to shoot straight, its not on imo. 

when you say adjusting optics you mean a dot mounted to that upper rail, or something mounted to the siderail?

15 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

when you say adjusting optics you mean a dot mounted to that upper rail, or something mounted to the siderail?

Dot mounted to the upper rail. Its an underfolder so no side rail. If there was I would be even more out!

56 minutes ago, Iceni said:

Does the RIS clamp to the barrel with a couple of slotted wing clamp/fasteners? Could it be something so simple as they went finger tight then just dogged up one side without looking at the final alignment. Would of thought if you drop the top of the rail off there's going to be 4 screws that hold the RIS to the barrel. Slacken them re-align and re-tighten. The RIS isn't an M4 floating style where the gun/RIS is bent if the alignment is off rotationally.

The other mount method just has 4 screws on the outside of the RIS visible from the top of the rail. Again it's susceptible to be put on crooked as it just slips over the gas tube then the lower part sits in place with a shim and the 2 parts are screwed together... A quick slacken and re-align Is all it should take. But you may also have to slacken the gas tube via the take down pin on the rear mounting of the gas tube.

Its off the because the front gas tube bracket does not line up with the rear sight. Because of this its actually an absoloute nightmare to lock the handguard in because of the angle. 

Edited by Asomodai

• Supporters
15 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

Dot mounted to the upper rail. Its an underfolder so no side rail. If there was I would be even more out!

yeah, i was talking about the iron sight block originally, needless to say the rail being off is very obvious.

thing is, that type being mounted to the lower handguard (not all of them have a barrel mount as iceni mentions) it's just not that good of a mounting system.

a gas block rail might be a better option? the version i have has screws that would let you adjust the angle of it before clamping down (although i had to file mine down to fit the trunnion end so it's a very tight fit)

14 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

yeah, i was talking about the iron sight block originally, needless to say the rail being off is very obvious.

thing is, that type being mounted to the lower handguard (not all of them have a barrel mount as iceni mentions) it's just not that good of a mounting system.

a gas block rail might be a better option? the version i have has screws that would let you adjust the angle of it before clamping down (although i had to file mine down to fit the trunnion end so it's a very tight fit)

I think at this point I'd rather cut my losses and return it. I understand that AK alignment is very funky. But its worse then most I have seen. To the point that its not really workable. 😕 such a shame as I got it for a great price. 

Just now, Adolf Hamster said:

i mean one less underfolder in the world?

in case it wasnt obvious i hate underfolders, at least equally, if not more than m4 stocks on ak's......

Sadly the gearbox was perfectly shimmed and the underfolder mechanism was very very solid and stiff. It is a great AK if only it weren't pissed in multiple directions!

I might just give in and either go for an AMD65 and hope for the best or just get an AR 😕

• Supporters
1 minute ago, Asomodai said:

Sadly the gearbox was perfectly shimmed and the underfolder mechanism was very very solid and stiff. It is a great AK if only it weren't pissed in multiple directions!

I might just give in and either go for an AMD65 and hope for the best or just get an AR 😕

if you want an underfolder with a different twist what about the akmsu? i might hate underfolders but man do i want one of those handguards......

1 minute ago, Adolf Hamster said:

if you want an underfolder with a different twist what about the akmsu? i might hate underfolders but man do i want one of those handguards......

I have always wanted one of them! Only reason why is that there is no chance of using it in a milsim. Though I do keep an eye out! 

Something about that gloryhole handguard.

To me the AMD is the pinnacle of AK looks. Apart from a tarted up Zenitco 74n anyway. 

We'll see what the shop says tomorrow.

Edited by Asomodai

13 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

not really a fan of the amd stock, it looks really uncomfortable

I'd still want to pick one up to have a test tho. Looking uncomfortable doesn't always mean it is. Just look at the GR300 pistol grip... Looks like an abomination, but I'll be damned if it's not the most comfortable M4 pistol grip I've ever used.

spacer.png

Edited by Iceni

• Supporters

i did have a krink with the romanian coathanger and whilst it was solid with no wobble it was terrible cheek weld (compared to the russian triangle/full sidefolders).

the amd stock i can only assume would have the same problem.

but i suppose it's just a preference thing

8 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

Are you going with another LCT?

It's a good question. I am unsure myself. I want an AMD-65, but wondering if just going with the Golden Eagle for £125 rather then the LCT for 309 is a better bet. 

So wait. Is it fixable then? 

Curious if its going to turn up back for sale on their site or in a sale etc

1 hour ago, kasaran said:

So wait. Is it fixable then? 

Curious if its going to turn up back for sale on their site or in a sale etc

In my opinion? No. It needs either a new receiver or rear sight block. As one of the two has been miss drilled. 

Edited by Asomodai

• Supporters
On 18/03/2021 at 12:54, Asomodai said:

It's a good question. I am unsure myself. I want an AMD-65, but wondering if just going with the Golden Eagle for £125 rather then the LCT for 309 is a better bet. 

I’ve got the GE one and Id say I’m extremely happy with it , it feels solid as a rock and even straight out of the box with just a quick clean of the inner the range And accuracy was outstanding . So yea I’d recommend one . 👍

So the refund through Paypal has been cancelled I am now down £210 😕 I have emailed the retailer this morning asking what's up. No response as of yet. 

Edited by Asomodai

25 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

So the refund through Paypal has been cancelled I am now down £210 😕 I have emailed the retailer this morning asking what's up. No response as of yet. 

Well, that sucks. I hope it's just an admin cock-up on their part and it's sorted quickly.

• Supporters

Not being a big AK fan I had to look up the replacement models your talking about, the amd-65 definitely looks cool, & if the GE one comes with their newish fancy fire control internals, sounds like a win win at that price 😁

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.