M4 Front Sight Post Stuck on Outer Barrel - How to Remove?

Henners

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all,

I've got a front sight post from a G&P M4 stuck on the outer barrel.

I've removed both retaining pins from the sight post (circled in red in photo) and also the retainer pin (also circled in red) from the mock gas tube (circled in green), and it still won't budge, seems to be wedged tight on the barrel - have put blue arrows on the photo illustrating where the sight post seems to be stuck.

Any ideas on how to remove it?

Any advice is much appreciated,

Cheers!

111404242_GPM4SF_SightPost.png

Edited by Henners

Have you made sure there's no grub screws under the sling loop? Sometimes one gets hidden under it by the manufacturer. If so, you'll need to punch out the sling loop which can be tricky with some pins because they have been riveted/flattened on the end. 

Edit #1:

It doesn't appear that there is one on G&Ps - but it's still worth checking.

image.png.7d887caa2aa509b7f05cd62c60d52cda.png

I would use a chunky flat punch and start gently tapping the FSP forward from the bayonet lug and the bands around the barrel.

https://www.toolstation.com/pin-punch-set/p44554?store=PH&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&gclid=CjwKCAiA4rGCBhAQEiwAelVti2fsrtdivj4qHJH5tQFm7VqwoJlva-Bezmg1hTFpJwTn9DbAOg0tRhoC2k4QAvD_BwE

Edit #2:

On real steel ARs, they just use a soft faced mallet to knock the thing off.

Edited by Speedbird_666

• Supporters

worth checking for a grub screw under the sling loop.

depending how strong/secure the rail is, a big screwdriver wrapped in cardboard could help persuade it, although speedbirds tapping method might work better if it's corroded on.

Dunk the end of the barrel with the sight on into a mug of very hot or boiling water , will very likely free it off, but as others have said check for grub screw first.

Forgot to mention, you can soak the area in penetrating oil and leave it for a few hours.

I'm not talking about standard WD40 (although there's WD40 branded penetrating oil), you can get the stuff from Halfords.

image.png.567b462753d1c0b4570d5de616fade60.pngimage.png.c4bcad3459cab6fab76207be5f26c8ab.png

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.