Why Did You Start Airsoft ?

Robert James

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Why did you start airsoft?

Had always been interested in Airsoft guns since I was 13-14 (early 90s) and intrigued by the idea of battling with them in some way. Wasn't till about 1999 when I found a local group of like minded people some familiar folk a little older than me from my past who had got a team together and attended early UK events and we started our own club.

What do you like about airsoft?

Traveling, meeting people and playing new interesting places. Finding obscure old models to add to my collection.

What don't you like about airsoft?

Being cornered by someone that thinks their gun is amazing and they have to tell you all about it in great depth. Especially when it's more often than not a totally shit boring model. People that are overly boastful and competitive. Instagram airsoft trends. Airsoft trends in general.

Do you think airsoft has any health benefits I.e keeping you fit etc ?

Depends how you play it. Any movement is good. Even just at a level of getting out the house and being involved and around people is good for your mental well-being.

Thanks for your posts everyone. I'm currently sitting an English Language exam - part of it is a presentation on something of my choosing. I choise Airsoft and wanted some opinions from other people than myself so that it wasn't all about what I specifically think. 

Thanks again!

• Supporters
12 hours ago, THE CHIEF said:

Whatever floats your boat man! Live and let live. Its just PERSONALLY I don't like external tanks. Nothing kills a rif faster than a hose for me. White sticks of death aren't my thing again because I enjoy a realistic rate of fire. And the amount of money people spend swapping out perfectly good parts amuses me. But there is no wrong way to play :)

in fairness i got it secondhand with a bunch of stuff already done, and a lot of it was preference.

the 40rps thing was a combination of seeing what it could do followed by a misguided impression that if someone won't call a couple of taps on semi that more rounds solves the problem (it doesn't)

I dislike having money....

But more probably because when I was a wee lad, I wanted to join the RAF, and as I grew older this kinda morphed into joining the Regiment so at 14-15 this seemed like a fun way talk to ex-service and current members.

Then when reality happened, I was very disillusioned by the whole set up and after a chat with some people there - embarked on a different career path.

My brothers started playing and told me about it, it sounded and looked fun so I went along, they have mostly stopped playing and I am still going on with it.

What do you like about airsoft

I enjoy having a hobby that gets me out of the house and is a bit different, I like the pseudo realism and games with objectives. I enjoy going to new sites and trying new games and venues 

What don't you like about airsoft

For me the lack of wider organisation, different sites have their own rules, one site may allow something others do not and sometimes quite frankly certain rules are silly. A bit of continuity across sites and general acceptance of rules and behaviour would be nice.

Do you think airsoft has any health benefits I.e keeping you fit etc 

Defo, Personally I enjoy being outside, and I run around a lot and certainly get my cardio fix from a skirmish game. 

On 15/03/2021 at 20:51, Shamal said:

If you aren't already,consider joining UKAPU( United Kingdom airsoft players union). Your subscription ensures their continued involvement in the protection of airsoft.

@Shamal Thanks for that, I wasn't aware of UKAPU and I've signed up for silver membership for now.  

On 13/03/2021 at 15:57, Robert James said:

I used to do plinking in the garden with air pistols and while browsing gunmart I found an article about skirmishing. The idea of targets which can move and shoot back was immediately appealing. I'd tried paintball but that was too expensive to take up regularly so airsoft looked perfect

Gor me it's the camaraderie that you get between players, I've made some very good friends through airsoft.

What don't you like about airsoft (not including KM or non hit taking, something more substantial please)

Probably the biggest part that I don't like is the social media groups. I found the vast majority are full of people having childish arguments. To go along with this are all the wannabe airsoft "celebrities" and their sycophants. Just because you've got an Instagram account and are wearing more cameras than used on a Hollywood blockbuster doesn’t make you special or the next JJ Abrams. Lastly its those who take things far to seriously and think they can order others around, telling them how to play. Anyone doing this should be told to fuck off as I've paid to have fun, not stroke the ego of some General Patton wannabe. 

Of course. Regularly spending a day running round (well bimble now age is starting to catch up with me) is always going to help with physical health. Also as someone who has mental health issues, I find having a day to forget about the rest of the world and concentrate on the game really does help where my head is. Even my other half has noticed that my mood drops and I generally become a miserable shit (well more of one) if I haven't been able to play for a while

If I can think of anything else I'll add it later

Edited by Cannonfodder

counter strike. 1.5

realism

shooting people

What don't you like about airsoft (not including KM or non hit taking, something more substantial please)

addiction

the cost

if you go enough

intrest in airsoft started about 3 years ago had been wanting to do paintball.then came across some airsoft on youtube and started watching started with watching nob sniping then slowly found others.then at the start of feb i was about to order a two tone when my mate said he was geting out of the hobby so ended up with his 2 m4s

I found out about springer pistols on holiday, and I liked guns, so I looked about and found a hobby shop near me that sold them. Never really bought one since that was when neds with springers were still a thing, but found out about SMK and "softair". Did a search online and found UKAN forums. Saw there was a hobby about using airsoft guns responsibly and was hooked. Started collecting with some cheap pistols and then eventually got into the game when VCRA came in.

The guns, lol! Seriously though, I love the sense of community here and at sites. Everyone's happy to talk about loadouts, guns or how to use equipment. Especially for someone like me who typically doesn't have a clue how some things work.

Back when I started, I saw stuff like AR-18s and Muzzelites. Today, it seems like most of the releases are about making every flavour of AR-style rifle. I love that we're getting stuff like the PP2K and the MG4, but I'd like to see a few different weapons from time to time.

I'd say that the game does work as a form of exercise, but on it's own I'd say it isn't frequent enough. It does make you think about fitness though - I was looking at some weights for improving my arms. Mainly because I want a LMG in the future and I'd like to be able to carry it without getting all puffy.

Always been interested in FPS gaming, came across gameplay footage of an LMG users on YouTube whilst at work. Looked into it further and booked in my first game a couple of months later. 

What do you like about airsoft?

Collecting comes first, I like the weird and wonderful. A close second is visiting lots of different sites, I like to get a breadth of knowledge about hobbies. To be that "unique" guy is a narcissistic trait I haven't been able to shake.

What don't you like about airsoft?

This kind of sounds bad, but Airsofters in general. There is alot of cringworthy aspects to airsofters which just turn me away. The Glamsofters being one. Also due to the nature of the sport you tend to get a few gun toting crazies who are just a little bit too intense to probably be playing. 

As a musician I have a similar problem, the biggest issue with playing in a band is having to play with other musicians. Massive egos colliding trying to hash out a result that no one is particularly happy about. 

Do you think airsoft has any health benefits? 

I look it at it like football, for general fitness on paper it looks great, but the risk of injury is quite large and you'll likely do yourself more long term damage playing the sport then not. 

Edited by Asomodai

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.