How do We Report Scammers?

Westinghouse

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I’ve been contacted by someone offering to sell something and when I do a bit of a google I’ve discovered that they’re a scammer. Is there a way to report them on here or warn others of their behaviour?

thanks! 

• Supporters

in the message top-right there's 3 dots, same as are on regular forum posts that pop up a menu with a button to report to the admin.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      up here ^

• Supporters
2 minutes ago, Westinghouse said:

Brilliant many thanks. Someone has tried to flog me an non-existent rifle! 

Please share publicly the guys username etc, it's a good thing you're reporting it to mods but he may have other members "on the hook" at the same time ?

48 minutes ago, L3wisD said:

Sorted:

755f4449-a768-4b46-be19-2f7a9fd75b7e_tex

"Rest of his short life" if he keeps that up 😡

Thank you mods. 

the guys username was Michael59 - all his messages have vanished so I guess he’s been removed. 

Anyway - he said his stepfather had one for sale and I should email [email protected] Which I did. 

Anyway he sent me some photos, and said he wouldn’t accept PayPal business - only bank transfer - which made me suspicious. So I did a bit of research and I found his email listed on another forum where he’d been ousted as a scammer there too. 

He kindly sent me a photo of the m1918a2 with a paper with his name and date on it - which was a poorly photoshopped image. I presented him with the original image Undoctored and told him he was a scumbag scammer and strangely he never got back to me! 

15336A50-E08E-4A09-8761-B886E1AE3F44.png

47BD0275-469E-4281-AA34-29F2ADF2B979.jpeg

BD066886-4B1D-4F36-9597-F73135BC5D6D.jpeg

27AA4408-1254-440A-B6BA-87E6FAF6F293.jpeg

9102F6A7-31F1-4418-BC91-20E2B74D55F7.png

E548A35B-69C6-46A9-83A4-CC388251C954.png

• Mostly Retired Moderators

Ah yes, apologies - when we nuke a spammer account, all trace of their existence gets wiped off the forum. 

Private messages, posts, adverts, the lot.

But yeah, usually accounts with just:

firstnamenumber are spammer accounts.

If anyone ever messages you about an advert and then encourages you to go off site to continue the sale its usually always dodgy.

If they ask you to email a random address, or WhatsApp a number, or go to a different site.

Hit the report flag and we'll check their IP and email address etc

• Supporters

Question: Michael59 was brought to my attention last weekend, advised another member to contact mods to sort it, did this not happen ?

• Mostly Retired Moderators
1 hour ago, Tackle said:

Question: Michael59 was brought to my attention last weekend, advised another member to contact mods to sort it, did this not happen ?

Not as far as I can see.

I think someone may have pointed out that he looked like he was trying to pad out his post count (if I'm thinking of the right guy).

But no other reports that I can see.

Yeah I looked at Michael59 And 99% of his

posts were on the new Members page, just saying welcome to new members! So

clearly he was padding out his post count. What a scumbag!

On 11/03/2021 at 21:37, L3wisD said:

If they ask you to email a random address, or WhatsApp a number, or go to a different site.

I didn't know asking to use whatsapp was a bad thing?
I normally do, because it's easier to send pics and I'm generally quicker at communicating using it.
So, should I not?

• Supporters
4 minutes ago, sonofsammo said:

I didn't know asking to use whatsapp was a bad thing?
I normally do, because it's easier to send pics and I'm generally quicker at communicating using it.
So, should I not?

No, personally I'd only move Comms away from the forum if the member I'm dealing with has a massive history here, & feedback to match, anybody else I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them.

As has been pointed out, here you have some support from admin etc, Wattsapp etc, which I believe to be encrypted ?, you're all on your own, no comeback EVER, not even from the police etc ☹️

1 minute ago, Tackle said:

No, personally I'd only move Comms away from the forum if the member I'm dealing with has a massive history here, & feedback to match, anybody else I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them.

As has been pointed out, here you have some support from admin etc, Wattsapp etc, which I believe to be encrypted ?, you're all on your own, no comeback EVER, not even from the police etc ☹️

Fair point.... Now I have another excuse not to sell stuff 🤣

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.