Decent Sling Brands

C-Diddy

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Having invested (spaffed!) a lot of the lockdown savings on a new TM 416, I'm looking for a decent, permanent sling solution. I personally prefer two-point slings because I find them much more functional. I don't get on with one points too well, as I either smash my knees or my knackers if I let go of the rifle, and three-point slings are just admin.

Having spent more than £500 on a gun, I want to have a sling I can trust not to give way and send my favourite toy crashing onto the deck, so a real steel brand seems sensible. I like the look and versatility of the Magpul MS1/MS3/MS4 slings and the Warrior Assault Systems two-point looks decent. 

Do you guys have any recommendations/experiences, bearing in mind the 416 DEVGRU has no QD sling points?

My favoured method is to use an HK-style clip on the front sling mount and thread the rear of the sling through the stock. I did have a rail mounted sling point but that snapped after two games so it put me off. To be fair though it was a cheap WADSN mount, whereas something like a Magpul or PTS would be more reliable. 

Any thoughts or suggestions on brands/mounting methods would be appreciated.

Tend to use old fashioned canvas slings these days, that being said have had very good experiences with vickers tactical two points in the past. 

Easy adjustment and very sturdy construction. 

• Supporters

First off, I absolutely agree with you on getting a decent sling for an expensive gun.

Personally I use a Ferro Concepts Slingster as my main sling as it's well made, padded and adjustable. I also have a Magpul MS3 Gen 2 run as a single point for my M4 as it has no front sling point but it also gets run on other guns as a two point. Both are great slings but in general I find the Slingster more comfortable in use.

Other than that it really depends on your budget, there's plenty of good slings out there with basically open ends so you can add whatever attachment clips you want (my Slingster for example is looped through the sling slots on the stock of my SCAR with a rail mounted QD for the front).

I recently picked up a helikon 2 points sling for €20 and while I have no experience with other RS slings, it doesn't feel cheap at all!

In fact I might get one more for the AK, the thing is fairly heavy and some padding would definitely help.

Mind you, €20 is cheaper than a ms3 clone and helikon doesn't make airsoft specific kit (read overpriced sweatshop shit). Worth a try I would say :)

A Magpul MS3 gen 2 sling with paraclips is all you need. You will need a sling plate on the stock and a Magpul RSA adapter for the rail. You can then go from 2 point to single point easily. 

For an expensive rifle use the proper gear. Don’t skimp out on slings as they are what stops your pretty rifle hitting the floor. 

BB4CD126-DA4E-494E-81A3-0661E258BEBC.jpeg

EAA8440D-0F7D-4857-9155-2FDA363B3E9F.jpeg

I have both a Magpul MS4 for my TM416D (it has QD sling points) and a Warrior Assault System 2-point sling for my long guns (VSRs and M14s). I would wholeheartedly recommend both, as both slings have served me incredibly well so far and I really like them. For the 416 DEVGRU, you can get sling mounts that go on your rail from Magpul, paired with the sling plate on the stock that's all you'll need for a 2-point setup. I personally don't like 1-point setups, but I know a lot of people do; it's all down to personal preference, so I'd say experiment and see what you like best.

I totally agree with shelling out for a good quality sling on an expensive RIF. Would suck for the sling to give out and break your gun. The only cheapo sling I have is a Viper 2-point that I've had for over a decade. It's on my cheapo shotgun.

I use a Magpul MS3 Gen2 & can thoroughly recommend them; in my experience they're very robust and they've been comfortable to wear even over long periods. I haven't tried the MS3 in two point configuration though (combination of lack of front sling loop & single-point working for me).

The clip doesn't quite fit the HK eyelets as well as I'd like though - they do fit securely & work just fine, but with reduced movement. I worked around that by using one of these as an adapter for it: https://www.tactical-kit.co.uk/blue-force-gear-uloop-uwl-ul1-21600-p.asp

Appreciate the replies guys. Happy to shell out for a good sling and you've given me some good options to think about. The Vickers interests me too but I haven't found a stockist. Tbh though, I haven't looked that hard.

Did look at the Magpul front sling loop. I have a torch and PEQ with dual touch pad so the rail's fairly cluttered but one more thing won't matter. 

I picked up a London Bridge Trading sling a few weeks back in a bundle

They make a lot of PC’s & harness’s which seem to command a lot of money

I certainly can’t complain of the build quality ,I was using a Nuprol single point before this but gave that away

So happily I have good expectations of using this 2 Point sling soon 👍

• Supporters
10 hours ago, C-Diddy said:

Appreciate the replies guys. Happy to shell out for a good sling and you've given me some good options to think about. The Vickers interests me too but I haven't found a stockist. Tbh though, I haven't looked that hard.

Did look at the Magpul front sling loop. I have a torch and PEQ with dual touch pad so the rail's fairly cluttered but one more thing won't matter. 

9 hours ago, Chev Chelios said:

As said Ferro, BFG or Vickers slings are the way to go as they are two point and can be adjusted on the fly.  Have a look at vids on YouTube very easy to make one yourself at home. Good UK stockist https://www.tactical-kit.co.uk/2-point-163-c.asp

What he said. Tactical Kit is your friend https://www.tactical-kit.co.uk/2-point-163-c.asp

I use genuine nato slings, theyre about £10 on ebay and stand up to the heft of lct g3 just fine

2 hours ago, Lozart said:

What he said. Tactical Kit is your friend https://www.tactical-kit.co.uk/2-point-163-c.asp

Yeah, seen. Think i'll give them a go. They look sturdy af, but will have to wait til next month. Just bought a brand new coyote tan loadout from Warrior (PC, chest rig, pouches, belt etc) so I need to have something to look forward to! 

I started out with Viper slings.
I cannot overstate just how utterly fucking shit Viper slings are. If they look at a RIF, they break.
General life expectancy was 3 or 4 games and yet I still bought them. What a numpty. I bought a new one for my bro to use at a game - it lasted half a fucking day. These slings aren't wank. Wank would be a step up.
There are only two advantages to Viper slings:
1. They're cheap
2. They're so shit, you will not give a single fuck if you lose it.

aaaaaaaaaand breathe.

Then I started using Magpul and TAB gear and haven't looked back - have well and truly put them through the ringer and they've never failed.

• Supporters
41 minutes ago, sonofsammo said:

I cannot overstate just how utterly fucking shit Viper slings are. If they look at a RIF, they break.
General life expectancy was 3 or 4 games and yet I still bought them. What a numpty. I bought a new one for my bro to use at a game - it lasted half a fucking day. These slings aren't wank. Wank would be a step up.
1. They're cheap

aaaaaaaaaand breathe.

Then I started using Magpul and TAB gear and haven't looked back - have well and truly put them through the ringer and they've never failed.

I still have my original Viper "magpul style" sling. I use it to hold our big dog hairdryer now. Bag of shite it is.

I use an FRV Tailoring padded sling its very good and you can choose between QD & H&K clips

1 hour ago, sonofsammo said:

1. They're cheap

aaaaaaaaaand breathe.

I'll second this. The crappy Viper sling I have on my cheap springer shotty used to be on my VSR, until it basically decided to give up for no reason and unclip itself from the rifle. Only some quick reactions stopped the rifle from toppling to the floor for potential damage.

This is my padded Magpul sling. It’s lovely but a tad too long. Yes I know you can adjust it and cut it and then take a flame to the frayed ends. However I don’t have the heart to do that lol. It’s damn comfortable though and is ideal for heavier weaponry or if you’re a wimp and a standard sling bruises you and you cry like a baby coz of that. I’m the former case. Just saying 😂

E47474B2-8AA7-4280-B9E0-50A7F00C9611.jpeg

6 hours ago, sonofsammo said:

1. They're cheap

aaaaaaaaaand breathe.

Yep. I have two of the VX slings. That's why I'm happy to spend a decent amount now! 

They did their job and convinced me to stick to a two-point style, but nah. They're pump.

3 hours ago, AlphaBear said:

This is my padded Magpul sling. It’s lovely but a tad too long. Yes I know you can adjust it and cut it and then take a flame to the frayed ends. However I don’t have the heart to do that lol. It’s damn comfortable though and is ideal for heavier weaponry or if you’re a wimp and a standard sling bruises you and you cry like a baby coz of that. I’m the former case. Just saying 😂

E47474B2-8AA7-4280-B9E0-50A7F00C9611.jpeg

I've looked at the padded ones. Look really comfortable and I may get one at some point. Vickers looking favourite atm though.

And if you don't want to use a flame to seal the ends and don't have access to an electric hot knife, just heat a normal knife lor even a spoon handle, and use it to seal the ends smoothly without turning them black.

I have a 5.11 vtac 2 on my 308, and its been great. Its really easy to set up it, really comfy and it dries really quickly (I always seem to get soaked on night games).

It's the same as the viking tactical (Kyle lambs designed) sling I think, just in 5.11 colour ways.

I've been running an Urban ERT sling for years on all the different guns I've owned (LMGs, sniper rifles, etc). Not padded, but robust and you can buy every sort of sling mount going for it. The hybrid switches between single/2 point, they have dedicated ones for odd shapes like P90's etc...

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.