Picoaab Mosfet

Wolfie

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi...

I have a firehawk and I've just had a picoaab mosfet fitted by my local shop. Lost the paperwork for it as we are in the process of moving home... Does anyone know if the mosfet can be programmed? I have lost semi and it has been replaced with single shot. (I would like to have semi and full auto rather than single if poss).

• Supporters

1) no, a picoAAB is not programmable

2) semi auto is single shot surely?

When I first got the gun it used to shoot three times and then stop on semi... it now only shoots once for each trigger pull.... Oh well... Guess I'll have to get faster on the trigger....

• Supporters
5 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

When I first got the gun it used to shoot three times and then stop on semi... it now only shoots once for each trigger pull.... Oh well... Guess I'll have to get faster on the trigger....

That's burst, not semi. Did it have a programmable mosfet in before?

• Supporters

worn Cut Off Lever or stick trigger switch/trolley getting stuck in contacts ???

or

we talking DSG HC05 or something daft

or

we are talking about std FH and if so it might have the 8 tooth bevel in it

(they also do a 9 tooth bevel as well as the regular 10 tooth bevel)

8 toothimage.jpeg.ca9b55195a3f9d68e917c7ad5c65e23b.jpeg

9 toothimage.jpeg.73d75cc348715a8f7a2005358b6cd2b4.jpeg

10 toothimage.jpeg.e138a7be174d506454a9cf945e4b1cf6.jpeg

weird eh ???

Sure when I opened up a reg FH it was an 8 tooth in there

so it pulled spring easier but gave the ratio 22.38:1 than 18.65:1

hence some launch TT FH's were pretty snappy

& others were not, most of them perhaps

(grip is one give away, not always though, plus TT sticker in magwell)

so was a bit lamer on a 7.4v than the Top Tech ones

But even on a 11.1v you'd struggle to hit over 20rps on a modest FH

and you can't fit much of a 11.1v in the stock tube

so can't see the absolute need for AB myself

When I got it... Full auto was around 4-5 rps and now its up to about 10 (rough estimate.. see vid below)... Im OK with the rate its at but its the semi auto that I've lost. Pity but it's not a game changer...

Edited by Wolfie
Correction

3 hours ago, Speedbird_666 said:

Sounds like it could be over-spin to me:

image.png.4ca1caab8cdae45f54ef642002ab6a0b.png

Apparently it has active brake. Son says that's probably what is stopping semi...

• Supporters
23 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Apparently it has active brake. Son says that's probably what is stopping semi...

when you say stopping semi, are you meaning you're getting lockups?

active brake will try to stop the motor the moment the cutoff lever trips, depending on how fast the build is and how strong the motor is it's possible for it to stop so quickly that the cutoff lever is still disengaged which will lock the trigger, forcing you to switch to auto to get it moving again.

depending on the setup this might happen very rarely, or so frequently it locks up basically every shot.

this is one of the reasons i tend not to suggest mosfets with just active brake (active brake is necessary for fancier setups using precocking).

No, not lock up... Just single shot when it used to be semi... Used to fire three shots if the trigger was held longer.... Niw it will only fire single shot or full auto... as per the video.

• Supporters
1 minute ago, Wolfie said:

No, not lock up... Just single shot when it used to be semi... Used to fire three shots if the trigger was held longer.... Niw it will only fire single shot or full auto... as per the video.

to be clear:

semi automatic=single shot=1 round per trigger pull

which is how it's supposed to work- exactly as in your video

multiple shots when in semi-auto means one of 2 things:

-a fast build with no braking that's overspinning (this is normally only 2 shots per trigger pull no matter how long you hold it down)

-a mosfet with a burst functionality, which the gun may have had before it was changed to the pico aab

however on the pico aab you will only get single shot or full auto, it can't do burst.

if you want burst the easiest option would be a warfet, it'll plug straight in same as the pico aab but you can program it to do a multi-shot burst if you so choose.

16 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

a mosfet with a burst functionality, which the gun may have had before it was changed to the pico aab

Surely the shop would have told me that there was a different mosfet in there already?

But thank you... think I'll take it at face value and enjoy it as it is for now.

• Supporters
19 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Surely the shop would have told me that there was a different mosfet in there already?

But thank you... think I'll take it at face value and enjoy it as it is for now.

guess that would depend on the shop, it might not have been the case, maybe there was an issue with the cutoff lever making it do something strange which they fixed when installing the new one.

although by your reports it sounded like it was a consistent 3 shot burst which does sound like a mosfet functionality, did you get the gun new or secondhand?

Second hand.... And yeah... if I held the trigger I used to get three shots but if I let go then just the one.... Having said that. The rate of fire is much higher now... Around double with the same battery... So I'm not complaining. 

Edited by Wolfie
Correction

• Supporters
38 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Second hand.... And yeah... if I held the trigger I used to get three shots but if I let go then just the one.... Having said that. The rate of fire is much higher now... Around double with the same battery... So I'm not complaining. 

secondhand could be the key then, previous owner could have had something with a burst in there.

surprised the shop didn't bother to mention it.

8 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

secondhand could be the key then, previous owner could have had something with a burst in there.

surprised the shop didn't bother to mention it.

if that was the part that had caused the issue they may not have mentioned it though

• Supporters
2 minutes ago, miserydrift said:

if that was the part that had caused the issue they may not have mentioned it though

tbh it really depends on the caliber of the shop/shop tech, sadly there are some that will just blindly do what the ticket asks without stopping to think "why are we fitting a picoaab when this gun already has a mosfet?"

this is one of the reasons i advocate doing tech work yourself- at least then you know what's going on inside your gat.

totally man had same issue with motorbike mechanics

snap ill only be sending to a tech as a last ditch effort :)

Thank you all for your replies. Going to play it as it is and if I need to change then I'll probably add another gun. Really appreciate the help.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.