A Bambi in Need of Advice

Erorr504

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi, i started airsoft recently and i didnt buy anything since i didnt know if i would enjoy it.

Turns out i do and now im in a bit of a bind. I enjoy CQB alot more than anything else and i really like pistols.

My question is, is it a good idea to get a pistol as your first gun? i wanted to get the WE Tech glock 18c since it has a 50 round mag and it can fire full auto so i can compensate in situations when i would need it.

Any advice would be great. One more thing i should mention is that my budget is really tight since im a student, its around 200e for now.

Thank you in advance :D

• Supporters

as a general rule it's considered standard to reccommend starting off with an aeg, for cqb purposes a short one as suggested would be perfect.

people can and do run pistols only in cqb (and a few nutters do it outdoors too) but a good reliable aeg is something you should always have lying around even just as a backup.

start with something basic, like the 904 rocketdogbert reccommends or maybe something like a cm045 if you preferr the ak platform. after that by all means go ham on the pistols.

Depends. (As always).
If I'm playing CQB, I'll generally use either one or two pistols. Not necessarily because they're "better" but because I enjoy usinhg them more.

I've also used my vector and arp9 - both of which are perfect for CQB (and also work well outdoors, should the need arise).
If you think you might play outdoors, then go for an AEG - as RDB says, there are plenty of good cheap ones available.
But, if you really want a pistol, get a pistol - and then if you decide to play outside, get an AEG for that and run your pistol as well.
At the end of the day, with airsoft choices, there is no right and wrong - there's just what's right or wrong for you.

Hi @Erorr504! 👋

Welcome to the forum, full of advice and like minded players! 🔫🤪👍

Best to get an AEG, then consider  a pistol, up to you and your budget? 🤔

Also have a channel covering most of what you mentioned, if interested? 👍

💷GAMBLE💷

1 hour ago, rocketdogbert said:

That looks sick, but i cant get it, im from Serbia and the stores here dont have that many guns to pick from and the upgrades are even more limited. And i cant order online since you need a license to do so. But ty for the suggestion.

1 hour ago, rocketdogbert said:

Personally, I’d buy an AEG, a short one. Some very good, very cheap ones to be had on Taiwan Gun

1 hour ago, EDcase said:

As Rocket said, small AEG would be better but if the G18 is all you can afford then give it a go.

Same problem i cant order online, i can but it cant be from outside of Serbian borders. And the stuff that i can find here is ok but still overpriced a bit, only 30% of guns match the prices that the original sites use and the WE Glocks are one of them. If you have any commonly found good models of guns to suggest that would be much appreciated.

1 hour ago, Adolf Hamster said:

as a general rule it's considered standard to reccommend starting off with an aeg, for cqb purposes a short one as suggested would be perfect.

people can and do run pistols only in cqb (and a few nutters do it outdoors too) but a good reliable aeg is something you should always have lying around even just as a backup.

start with something basic, like the 904 rocketdogbert reccommends or maybe something like a cm045 if you preferr the ak platform. after that by all means go ham on the pistols.

The 904 i cant find anywhere in Serbia and the cm045 is a bit out of my price range since its about 150e here. And sorry to disappoint i might turn out to be one of the nutters to run pistols outdoors hahahhaha. But ty for the suggestion i really appreciate it. And one more question waht does the "HK slap it" mean???

1 hour ago, sonofsammo said:

Depends. (As always).
If I'm playing CQB, I'll generally use either one or two pistols. Not necessarily because they're "better" but because I enjoy usinhg them more.

I've also used my vector and arp9 - both of which are perfect for CQB (and also work well outdoors, should the need arise).
If you think you might play outdoors, then go for an AEG - as RDB says, there are plenty of good cheap ones available.
But, if you really want a pistol, get a pistol - and then if you decide to play outside, get an AEG for that and run your pistol as well.
At the end of the day, with airsoft choices, there is no right and wrong - there's just what's right or wrong for you.

I wanted to get a pistol first since its not a big investment and its something i feel like is going to be much more fun and easy to learn the basics on, in terms of takeing care of the weapon and gun safety. Vector is my long term goal or a really heavy moded p90.

• Supporters
17 minutes ago, Erorr504 said:

The 904 i cant find anywhere in Serbia and the cm045 is a bit out of my price range since its about 150e here. And sorry to disappoint i might turn out to be one of the nutters to run pistols outdoors hahahhaha. But ty for the suggestion i really appreciate it. And one more question waht does the "HK slap it" mean???

there are plenty of variations for budget guns these days, quite a healthy market. in general the cyma range is pretty dependable and jg's offerings aint half bad either.

hk slap is the karate chop you do to close the bolt on an mp5 when reloading if you want to look tacticool, totally pointless on an airsoft aeg but still a thing.

The HK MP5 is a bit of a slapper indeed 😂. It’s that hand movement that does it. 🤔. Once you perfect the technique it’s the only CQB rif you’d wanna play with. Always puts a smile on my face. #justsayin

Edit: I just read that paragraph back and it kinda sounds all wrong. 🤷🏻‍♂️

2 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

the mp5 has many strong arguments:

you can hk slap it

it goes with pretty much any nationality

you can hk slap it

you can do police or military

you can hk slap it

for airsoft it's perfectly viable outdoors

you can hk slap it

small mags easy carried and the gun is short and light

you can hk slap it

it wears modernisation relatively well

you can hk slap it

seems it's mostly avoided the heretical plague of putting m4 stocks on not m4's

you can hk slap it

it's just plain cool and iconic

did i mention you can hk slap it?

Strangely enough all 3 MP5s I have owned ended up with broken charging handles, cant figure out why for the life of me 🧐 

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Zarrin said:

Strangely enough all 3 MP5s I have owned ended up with broken charging handles, cant figure out why for the life of me 🧐 

this is why i'm waiting until i have the spare cashmonies to drop on a tw5.

because charging handle integrity is the only feature anyone should care about :P

24 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

because charging handle integrity is the only feature anyone should care about :P

Yes this is a fact

I have actually remedied this on both the MP5A2 and MP5K, took the front sights off and stuffed a piece of high density EVA foam up the front of the tube protruding just up to the point that it cushions the impact when the bolt flies home. The result means it doesn't break, however the sound is not quite as good, as you don't get the impact of the metal doweling of the charging handle hitting the front of the tube walls full force. The action is still satisfying enough though.

• Supporters
25 minutes ago, Zarrin said:

Yes this is a fact

I have actually remedied this on both the MP5A2 and MP5K, took the front sights off and stuffed a piece of high density EVA foam up the front of the tube protruding just up to the point that it cushions the impact when the bolt flies home. The result means it doesn't break, however the sound is not quite as good, as you don't get the impact of the metal doweling of the charging handle hitting the front of the tube walls full force. The action is still satisfying enough though.

maybe some metal inside instead of the foam? have the tube of the charging handle smack that rather than the handle stub

1 hour ago, Adolf Hamster said:

maybe some metal inside instead of the foam? have the tube of the charging handle smack that rather than the handle stub

Honestly, I think a solid flat metal surface would eventually cause the bolt tube to start disintegrating where it usually does at the front - what might work is a few coils of AEG spring in there at the end.

• Supporters
4 minutes ago, Zarrin said:

Honestly, I think a solid flat metal surface would eventually cause the bolt tube to start disintegrating where it usually does at the front - what might work is a few coils of AEG spring in there at the end.

dont think a spring is a good idea:

the dragonuv has a faux gas piston that works on 2 springs (one biases it back, the other holds the slack) that in theory is meant to have the piston reciprocate when the bolt cycles, but all it acheives is making the gun go sproingoingoingoing every time you fire it.

i can see this working out the same way.

Yeah I can imagine it sounding pretty "clack clack".. when we really wanna "slap slap" 😎

Another solution would be that chunk of metal but then gluing a rubber O-ring onto the front of the cocking tube - that might be the best of both worlds solution tbh. 

Sorry this 'what am bestest gun' thread turned into a tech shenanigans trouble shoot real fast 😅 

8 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

Hey we're discussing the really important issues here.....

This is true 🤓

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.