Training Plates for Balance

Lozart

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

...as opposed to plates for fitness!

I've been thinking about getting some plates to put in the back pouch of my plate carriers just to balance out the load (being front heavy wreaks havoc on my back!). Can anyone recommend anything? Probably in the 2kg kind of area.

I have 4.5kg travail plates, but I think there is an issue with getting them atm.

I've read that Trident Gear plates are supposed to be very good as well, currently x2 different weights they do 1.4kg & 2.2kg.

• Supporters
Just now, Monkman said:

I have 4.5kg travail plates, but I think there is an issue with getting them atm.

I've read that Trident Gear plates are supposed to be very good as well, currently x2 different weights they do 1.4kg & 2.2kg.

Cool, I did look at Travail, they have some 2kg stock clearance ones on the website. I just want them to counteract the weight being all in the front with dummy plates! Does multi curve make that much difference?

Multicurve just confirms to your body a little better, but not by much.  I'd pm the guy @ Trevail if you want to get them, as seen on FB that some people been waiting weeks for their orders..probably best to confirm that he's still shipping etc.. :)

My 4.5kg plates in my DCS carrier, do make the whole thing heavy..but once on, weirdly it does help.  :)  Normally run my DCS setup for cqb as running around a wood allday in weighted plate carriers can be taxing. (Im not the fittest person..

• Supporters
2 minutes ago, Monkman said:

Im not the fittest person..

Amazon.com: Ephemera, Inc Yeah, I'm into Fitness. Fitness Whole Pizza in My  Mouth.- 6242: Home & Kitchen

Just found a place on ebay selling used training plates for £30 a pair! Might just take a punt on them!

• Supporters
2 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

what about a hydration bladder?

balances out the rig and prevents dehydration

I have considered it but for most skirmish type stuff I'd need to keep refilling it instead of just drinking in breaks. Good shout though.

Have a look at the hydro plates. You could use one as a load an then have another bladder for the drinking.

You could adjust the weight then to offset a variety of loadouts.

If you want plates for your carrier the cheapest option will be anything ‘non airsoft’. I have a few different weights of plates for running/pull ups etc and I paid about £10 for one set, and £2 for the others. 

Search for ‘crossfit vest plates’, some will be ‘proper’ ones made by companies like Rogue and Again Faster are very expensive because they are powder coated and branded and are competition weight. LOADS of people sell carbon copies that they have made online on the cheap (my £10 set). Ebay is a good bet for these. 

What I would recommend is get down to a steel merchant and buy an offcut of 2mm or 2.5mm steel, get an angle grinder and cut it yourself. Just make sure you tape the edges with some black maskers so that it doesn’t rip the inside of the carrier. This will cost you about £2 for the steel and 15 minutes of cutting. Definitely your best course of action. 

Maybe consider a belt and yoke of some sort and balance the weight out on your hips more. Incorporated with a small chest rig you can carry plenty and distribute your kit better. Rather than carrying unnecessary weight.

If money is no issue id hang on as In no time the Milsim players will grow bored of their Boston dynamics robot dogs and sell them off in anticipation for the next thing.  

Jokes aside - do Milsim events use drones to drop off kit/scran/dirty mags yet?

37 minutes ago, Airsoft123 said:

If money is no issue id hang on as In no time the Milsim players will grow bored of their Boston dynamics robot dogs and sell them off in anticipation for the next thing.  

Jokes aside - do Milsim events use drones to drop off kit/scran/dirty mags yet?

There is a Bootneck airsoft team that play around Plymouth that have a drone. I haven’t seen them use it for dropping kit (I don’t think it has the lift capacity for it) but they do use it for ISTAR which is pretty cool/very frustrating depending on whether you are playing with them or against them. 

• Supporters
2 hours ago, heroshark said:

Maybe consider a belt and yoke of some sort and balance the weight out on your hips more. Incorporated with a small chest rig you can carry plenty and distribute your kit better. Rather than carrying unnecessary weight.

I have belt gear, chest rigs up the ying yang, all sorts. I'm just partial to a plate carrier from time to time is all :)

3 hours ago, DRay said:

What I would recommend is get down to a steel merchant and buy an offcut of 2mm or 2.5mm steel, get an angle grinder and cut it yourself. Just make sure you tape the edges with some black maskers so that it doesn’t rip the inside of the carrier. This will cost you about £2 for the steel and 15 minutes of cutting. Definitely your best course of action. 

It's a good idea, but you underestimate how little effort I'm prepared to put in for something I can buy for a pony!

10 minutes ago, Lozart said:

I have belt gear, chest rigs up the ying yang, all sorts. I'm just partial to a plate carrier from time to time is all :)

It's a good idea, but you underestimate how little effort I'm prepared to put in for something I can buy for a pony!

If you get me the dims I could probably cut something to the correct size using Waterjet or plasma 

1 hour ago, Lozart said:

I’m a Scouser so I don’t deal in animals like you southerners. The most time consuming bit is finding a steel merchant between your house and where you work so that you can pick it up on the way home. 5 minutes to make a cardboard template of the inside of your carrier, 10 minutes to cut it, 2 minutes to tape it up. 

I made myself sets of plates (front and back) in 2.5kg-ish increments up to 12.5kg. Less than an hours work. And you get to play with your angle grinder. And there is never enough opportunity to play with an angle grinder. 

1 hour ago, GenuineGerman said:

If you get me the dims I could probably cut something to the correct size using Waterjet or plasma 

Oooh water jet! Now that is a toy! I presume that that is something you have access to at work rathe than the shed because they are £0.5m. 

I have some Trident Gear plates and they're great. Really solid and really add some weight to the carrier.

7 minutes ago, DRay said:

Oooh water jet! Now that is a toy! I presume that that is something you have access to at work rathe than the shed because they are £0.5m. 

Yeah luckily I’m an engineer at a company that manufactures Waterjet cutting tables and plasma tables. so as on going testing and serviceability I have to make sure they function correctly haha. Happy to help people out if they need stuff cutting. And if you fancy buying one ours is only 100k haha 😂 

Id flat out avoid travails plates atm, a teammate has been waiting since November, at the point of paypal dispute now, and theres plenty of storys across the community of people still waiting with no product, i have a set of lightweights myself and they do balance the load and make your plate carrier actually bare weight rather than hang off you.

trident gear are one of the other options, and they are coming out with there multi curve set soon i think. Cheaper options involve foam cut to shape or the Chinese plastic plate fillers on ali

• Supporters
10 hours ago, GenuineGerman said:

Yeah luckily I’m an engineer at a company that manufactures Waterjet cutting tables and plasma tables. so as on going testing and serviceability I have to make sure they function correctly haha. Happy to help people out if they need stuff cutting. And if you fancy buying one ours is only 100k haha 😂 

Do you work on commission? My place is for moving and they'll almost certainly drag their heels recomissioning ours.....

1 hour ago, Adolf Hamster said:

Do you work on commission? My place is for moving and they'll almost certainly drag their heels recomissioning ours.....

Depends on what it is if you want send some info but In principle the engineering on pumps is pretty much the same the control systems is where it tends to get complex 

Thin sheet of lead wrapped in card and gaffa tape. Then it'll form to you and have a bit of flex.

• Supporters
11 hours ago, DRay said:

I’m a Scouser so I don’t deal in animals like you southerners. The most time consuming bit is finding a steel merchant between your house and where you work so that you can pick it up on the way home. 5 minutes to make a cardboard template of the inside of your carrier, 10 minutes to cut it, 2 minutes to tape it up. 

I made myself sets of plates (front and back) in 2.5kg-ish increments up to 12.5kg. Less than an hours work. And you get to play with your angle grinder. And there is never enough opportunity to play with an angle grinder. 

Scouser, eh? Well, a pony is about a dozen hub caps.

I'm an automation software sales manager and I work from home, in Hampshire. Not a lot of steel merchants in the leafy environs of Oakley. Also - and I know I'm at risk of losing my man card here but - I don't own an angle grinder *hangs head in shame*

Depends on what it is if you want send some info but In principle the engineering on pumps is pretty much the same the control systems is where it tends to get complex 

Control systems? Sinumerik by any chance?

• Supporters

Was more a case of keeping options open for getting things cut, not a problem atm as ours is still running.

• Supporters

A team mate wanted to do a similar thing a while ago , the solution I came up with for him (I’m the team bodger and it actually worked !) I used one of the fake foam plates you can get , I cut channels in to it ruffly inch inch and half wide and just under an inch deep . Made ‘sausages’ from cling film and sand and put them in the channels until we reached the ruff weight he wanted (think it was around 6LB mark ?) then covered it in gaffa tape to hold the ‘sausages’ in place . 

was a LOT cheaper than buying training plates and as far as I’m aware until he changed his load carrying system he never had a problem with it . 👍

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.