Removing Sticker Residue

Cr0-Magnon

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Loving the Specna I picked up recently but decided to remove the sticker and hologram and was a bit surprised at how stubbornly they're on there! 

Any tips on removing without using heat or any chemicals that may damage the paint?

Lay it flat and put a drop of washing up liquid on sticker and let it soak. May help loosen adhesive?

It depends on the paint as to what you can use. So always do a test area first.

Isopropanol(IPA)/Rubbing alcohol work well in most cases. It's also a good degreaser for gearboxes. You can get 1L for under £10 on ebay. I use this stuff all the time for other projects as well it's very useful to have about - CPU cleaning, Soldering, Screen cleaning, General degreasing, Paint thinner.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Isopropyl-Alcohol-IPA-99-9-Cleaning-Rubbing-Alcohol-Propan-2-ol/233872977028?hash=item3673ea6c84:g:c-4AAOSwVChgEAXA

IPA mixed with lemon juice is used on industrial food machines as a label remover. You can also probably just buy this as well from ebay.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ambersil-Label-Remover-200ml-Aerosol-Spray-Can-31629/293964498895?hash=item4471a647cf:g:U-4AAOSwlf1gCECx

WD40 is surprisingly good, but can make the glue gummy.

30 minutes ago, Iceni said:

It depends on the paint as to what you can use. So always do a test area first.

Isopropanol(IPA)/Rubbing alcohol work well in most cases.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Isopropyl-Alcohol-IPA-99-9-Cleaning-Rubbing-Alcohol-Propan-2-ol/233872977028?hash=item3673ea6c84:g:c-4AAOSwVChgEAXA

I have a bottle of this but was worried about damaging the paint.

2 minutes ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

I have a bottle of this but was worried about damaging the paint.

Test it inside the magwell where any damage won't be seen. Just wet a Q-tip and test with a bit of rubbing.

ipa will remove paint if u rub too hard even with a q tip

wd40 perfect on an old rag spray straigh onto the residue leave for 10-15 seconds then a rub with the rag should comne right off use this for taking the manufacturer decals off my motorbikes

17 minutes ago, snuff said:

Surgical spirit,in everyones medicine cabinet...I think.

Not in mine. I drink it! Lol

Only kidding....

• Supporters
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.