What Pistol Should I Buy and do I Even Need it?

SourLotKing

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I am wanting to start airsoft and I have chose G&G Combat Machine CM16 MOD0 carbine – tan for my main rifle. I am looking for a pistol that can be used at first and only sites, which is a max of 350 FPS and then it says actual and i don't understand it so ill just put the link here. I am looking for a green gas blowback pistol, but the problem is, is that I don't really know if it's needed. I am going to be using 0.2g bb's. 

Long-story short. You don't "need" one. They can be handy if you're really close (such as in a building) and getting a "kill" with something that has recoil, is always fun. From a purely practical standpoint, they're not actually worth the extra expensive of buying the thing and then hassle of carrying gas and/or spare mags while it hangs from you in a holster. However most people do have one because "the cool factor"

3 minutes ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

Long-story short. You don't "need" one. They can be handy if you're really close (such as in a building) and getting a "kill" with something that has recoil, is always fun. From a purely practical standpoint, they're not actually worth the extra expensive of buying the thing and then hassle of carrying gas and/or spare mags while it hangs from you in a holster. However most people do have one because "the cool factor"

They are useful for CQB but mainly it's cool factor. I carry at least 3 pistols in a game and I make sure I use them. If you want a pistol that won't be hot and reliable then get a Tokyo marui they make the best pistols by a mile.  Other than it's size the mk23 is the best pistol but it's NBB so lose of fun factor. If you want a GBB pretty much any of the double stack TMs will run in single digit Temperature and the newer fn and hk pistols are generally regarded as the best.

• Supporters

you don't need a pistol.

however, they are fun, and given that's kind of the point of airsoft if you want to run one then that's as good a reason as anyone needs.

in terms of which pistol is "best" this depends on the use case.

if it's going to be a cqb primary, or a sniper med sidearm, then you're probably better off putting the money into a decent performer like a tm.

if it's just a holster filler for the occasional pot-shot or for some mild entertainment in lieu of reloading when your rifle is empty then you can expand the range of options by looking at some of the other brands like WE

i'd take a look at whats out there, see if any particular style takes your fancy, then come back and drop us a link to it. even if the specific one you've chosen might not be particularly good there might be a very similar offering from a different manufacturer.

• Supporters

Not disagreeing with anything that's been said above.......

BUT 😏

Sometimes you DO need a pistol, over the years, on numerous occasions, game organisers have said "right, everybody got pistols ?, pistol only game" , & some great games have ensued.

Plus I've had a few occasions where a primary has failed at an optimum moment, & being able to quick draw a pistol has saved me a walk back to the respawn.

To that end, I'd always recommend using your primary in a sling that would allow you to quite literally "drop" it, & use a hard shell holster, serpa or similar, for rapid transition to your secondary.

if u want one then its a need ;) imo haha nah deffo not needed but like u i was undecided and then had to chance of a combat master pretty cheap so have went for that for now.but i would eventualy like to run about dual pistol in a cqb match for a laugh so may have to get anopther haha

The meaning of the word ‘need’ seems to be so warped these days.

Things you need:

Good quality eye pro.

Things I’d strongly advise:

Good quality face pro.

Good quality boots and socks.

Good quality BBs which are heavier than 0.2g.

Things which are entirely personal preference:

Everything else, with the caveat that if you have specific criteria for something you want and would like advice it’s available if you need it.

If experience has taught me anything, folks that post ‘wat am best gnu’ threads generally have something in mind. So if you decide you’d like to move forward with picking up a pistol go ahead and let the kind folks know the sort of thing you like the look of (Glocks, Hicapas, Revolvers etc) so the following roundabout can be circumvented.

”Xxx is very good.”

”Thanks but I don’t like the way it looks.”

As the OP of the thread linked above...

I read all the advice and decided that a sidearm wasn’t necessary with a carbine. 

And then clearly banged out and bought a TM GBB, four mags, a holster, and retention lanyard. It is very satisfying to shoot and cool. as. fuck. 

22 minutes ago, alxndrhll said:

Things you need:

Good quality eye pro.

Good quality face pro.

Everything else, with the caveat that if you have specific criteria for something you want and would like advice it’s available if you need it.

myself amworking on all of this as soon as i get my 500 from the gov thought would of been today but relised was a 5week mth on the wages so my work wont issue it till end of march gah ;p;

any boots you recomend as for face/eye pro ill be ordering a warq helmet have temp nuprol mesh goggles for plinking in but wouldnt use em for gaming

i do have a set of goggles/face mask i use on the bike that were advertised for airsoft,i have tested em at point blank range with the m4 at 345 fps and non penetrated the goggles still wouldnt trust em on the field though incase unluckily walk infront of a high powered shot

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yuepin-Detachable-Motorcycle-Windproof-Snowboard/dp/B0863G2ZK3/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=airsoft+goggles+and+mask&qid=1614355040&sr=8-10

51oKOOCkliL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

6 minutes ago, miserydrift said:

myself amworking on all of this as soon as i get my 500 from the gov thought would of been today but relised was a 5week mth on the wages so my work wont issue it till end of march gah ;p;

any boots you recomend as for face/eye pro ill be ordering a warq helmet have temp nuprol mesh goggles for plinking in but wouldnt use em for gaming

i do have a set of goggles/face mask i use on the bike that were advertised for airsoft,i have tested em at point blank range with the m4 at 345 fps and non penetrated the goggles still wouldnt trust em on the field though incase unluckily walk infront of a high powered shot

I'll send you a PM this evening to prevent this deviating away from the thread topic.

• Supporters
46 minutes ago, alxndrhll said:

Things you need:

Good quality eye pro.

Good quality face pro.

If experience has taught me anything, folks that post ‘wat am best gnu’ threads generally have something in mind. So if you decide you’d like to move forward with picking up a pistol go ahead and let the kind folks know the sort of thing you like the look of (Glocks, Hicapas, Revolvers etc) so the following roundabout can be circumvented.

”Xxx is very good.”

”Thanks but I don’t like the way it looks.”

Bugger off with your carefully thought out, common sense advice!

who take sensible advice anyway? - quickmeme

Do you need a pistol? Nah. Only thing you really need is good eye protection and maybe decent boots with ankle support can also make the cut here if you play woodland. HOWEVER, pistols are cool and if you can afford one and want to buy one, I'd say go for it.

In terms of what pistol to get? I'd say any TM. Just find a TM pistol you like and buy that one. You don't need to do any upgrades on it to have it firing in almost any weather and to a decent 30 - 40m effective range. Just buy it, pick up and play!

I may be biased towards pistols as a bush wookiee (a solid pistol is a must when you have an MED!), but I always think it's best to just go for the best. The difference in price between a TM and a WE is minimal in the grand scheme of things. You'll pay around £100 for a WE and around £150 for a TM.

Hi @SourLotKing! 👋

Welcome to the forum, full of advice and like minded players! 🔫🤪👍

Good luck getting started, hopefully soon! 🤞👍

Did a video on this a few weeks back, aiming at beginners, check it out on my channel and hopefully gives a bit of insight? 🤔

Hope this helps? 
💷GAMBLE💷

Hi @SourLotKing, when playing your first few games at first and only take your assault rifle which you've already paid for and see if you like the hobby or that style of game (wood/cqb etc).  At the end of a long day of playing army reflect on the game day and count the instances when having a pistol would have enhanced the fun and your abilities.  Make you decision based on this and it will be money well spent.

• Supporters
20 hours ago, miserydrift said:

cheers man,surprised @Adolf Hamster didnt suggest the makarov haha although probs doesnt want others getting the mags ;)

that reminds me i need more makarov mags

thought i had 4 but apparently only 3.....

A pistol can be useful depending on the situation. If I'm running a machine gun or grease gun and I go to a semi only area then I do NEED a pistol as the main gun has no fire selector. Also if running a weapon with a MED then you will need a pistol. For average pew though... I've taken, gassed, loaded and holstered a pistol many times and the most action its had is removing the mag to enter the safe zone. 

But then there are moments when it's saved my arse. One particularly epic one on a bunker when my battery died. My team mate steve was running low. I chucked him SLR mags, he chucked me 1911 mags. We held out and won the game. 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.