First Plate Carrier

38super

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Just wondering what people think of this as my first plate carrier.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lixada-Outdoor-Modular-Hunting-Hydration/dp/B075G8J2F1/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

image.png.acc069d24bfaa424a9ae387fbd762a43.png

The price seems very reasonable but I'd want to change the mag pouches on the front to something without velcro and add a dump pouch.

Apart from ammo and a spare battery, what else would I need to carry? I prefer to run as light as possible with limited ammo if that makes a difference.

If you want light imo pcs not the way. Many years ago I got a good flyye pc and soon learnt I hated wearing it and a good belt kit was more light weight and easier to move in.

Unless you HAVE to have a plate carrier because either;

i. You have worn one for 10 years and anything else feels like you are naked. 
ii. You are doing a pretty specific loadout that requires it to complete the ‘look’...

I wouldn’t get a plate carrier. A yoke and webbing or even a buckle up chest rig is much more comfortable. A plate carrier will make you sweat like a bastard, makes going prone very uncomfortable and hard to breathe when you run (if you have steel plates in it). The primary function of a plate carrier is not to carry mags and kit, it is to carry body armour like osprey. If you just want somewhere to put 5 mid caps and a mag I would go for webbing or a chest rig with no back patch. 

43 minutes ago, heroshark said:

If you want light imo pcs not the way. Many years ago I got a good flyye pc and soon learnt I hated wearing it and a good belt kit was more light weight and easier to move in.

I've tried a belt kit before and hated how the pouches would bounce around.

I'm only 5'4" and find that proper chest rigs feel uncomfortably high although having had another look what people call a chest rig is more like a belly rig anyway.

I'd prefer something like this. 

image.png.f889f7871d66571976073a00e37466da.png

Slightly above waist level but with space for kit at the side and or behind.

My favourite for paintball was a lightweight tac vest unfortunately the mice got to it years ago.

I like the style of the Viper Special Ops rig but it isn't modular.

I don't need a plate carrier so I'll keep looking.

• Supporters

As has been said, get anything BUT a plate carrier.

Chest rig, belt kit with harness, maybe a molle bandoleer, any of them are waaaay more useful than a pc.

If I had to recommend a budget rig that's a proven high quality, look at a bulle MLE rig, if your adamant you want more molle real estate similar to a pc, look for a warrior tmv, more coverage but a lot more breathable than layers of solid cordura.

Or maybe a small molle grab bag, slung cross body with a pistol on your hip & dump pouch on the opposite hip.

All works 👍

Dude, get whatever you want. If you want a plate carrier get one, try it out. If you don’t like it sell it on. I have various rigs ranging from PC’s to chest rigs. I prefer the PC in the morning as it’s usually cold and in the affernoon I switch to a chest rig as that’s when we play the speed games  

As a starter chest rig look at the Viper VX  it’s good value, decent and light. You can add bits to it as and when you feel like it. 

The more you play then you will realise that running light is good. That’s why you’ll see people wearing belt rigs. 

Based on your preferences listed about you’re likely best off going with some sort of yoke/belt combination.

That aside, I absolutely get the allure of a PC. The normal ‘rules’ apply, you get what you pay for. I can’t comment on the quality of the one you’ve linked (truthfully I’ll assume it’s not very well put together) but ohh boy is whatever camo pattern that is supposed to be (I’m assuming it’s a failed attempt at MC/MTP).

If you do opt for a PC in some shape or form make sure you get/make your own appropriately sized dummy plates. PTS make foam ones which are about £30 for a pair, or the various forms of training plates though they tend to be more expensive. PCs need something in the plate bag to hold their shape and give them structure, otherwise you’re essentially wearing a vest with the load bearing structure and capacity of a napkin.

The best piece of advice I can give when it comes to kit is expect to change things. It’s taken me years (and years, and years) to figure out what I want to have space for when I’m playing, that can vary based on what mood I’m in on the day and is very much personal to me. Follow up advice being that repro kit tends to depreciate in value significantly to the point it’s not even worth selling, add the two together, expect to have a cupboard full of failed kit experiments. It’s simply the nature of the beast and why folks often buy ‘the real deal’ stuff. That doesn’t mean kit exclusively from the ‘gucci’ brands, simply proven kit by proven companies. It holds its value better so selling things you didn’t get on with doesn’t hurt so much... though the cost of the things you do keep can certainly hurt.

TLDR - You’ll buy stuff, you’ll try stuff, some will suck, some won’t. Either way, there’s no escaping the likelihood you’ll waste some money down the line, and you’ll have the nylon pile of shame just as most of us do.

You’re in a similar predicament to me. I picked up an 8fields chest rig off Patrolbase which seems really decent for the price, but a PC is an itch I want to scratch still. 

Part of me keeps looking back at a Warrior DCS, it’s not cheap I know but I’m tempted to give it a try and sell on if I dislike it. I quite like the idea of having the choice of what to run on the day rather than be stuck with one single setup and end up getting frustrated for whatever reason.

The Warrior DCS is a lovely PC. Yes it’s got fake plates but you can take them out so lighten the load. Yes it’s pricey at £130 for just the basic carrier 

This is why I say for a starter Pc Viper VX is perfect. It’s light. You don’t overheat. And you can pick a new one up for £75 or used ones on here for about £45 as they come up frequently. 

Mind you the one on Amazon is stonking good value. Buy it. Try it out. If it’s pants then return it. At least you have that luxury. Almost a try before you buy ;) 

I personally prefer PC's. You can pick up Ospreys fairly cheaply off ebay etc and they are milspec so will last. The Warrior Assault Systems are very nice and I would say i really cost affective alternative to the top like a Crye AVS. For me its about value for money and for £40-50 i would personally get a Osprey with a few pouches that you know will last for your first one. if you dont like it someone will always buy it. Im looking to buy the Warrior Laser Cut Low profile V2 soon as this look like a great alternative to the JPC 2.0.

Thanks for all the advice on the basis of which I've moved away from the plate carrier idea to more of a belt base.

I do like the Bulle MLE rig for it's 5 rows of molle to stabilise the pouches

image.png.29b8684e550b7b2857fbff6d3ad8b8ab.png

This also looks like a nice compact option but I'm not sure how practical the horizontal pouches are?

image.png.76a1371ab2f3500818785f391d92ca4a.png

Or genuine issue (Osprey?) belt and yoke although some of the Opsrey belts I've seen only have 2 rows of molle which I don't think is enough to stabilise the pouches.

image.png.ca339bf5e8e087685c1cea1bff4ada25.png

There's a lot of gear out there to choose from😁

• Supporters
8 minutes ago, 38super said:

Thanks for all the advice on the basis of which I've moved away from the plate carrier idea to more of a belt base.

I do like the Bulle MLE rig for it's 5 rows of molle to stabilise the pouches

image.png.29b8684e550b7b2857fbff6d3ad8b8ab.png

This also looks like a nice compact option but I'm not sure how practical the horizontal pouches are?

image.png.76a1371ab2f3500818785f391d92ca4a.png

Or genuine issue (Osprey?) belt and yoke although some of the Opsrey belts I've seen only have 2 rows of molle which I don't think is enough to stabilise the pouches.

image.png.ca339bf5e8e087685c1cea1bff4ada25.png

There's a lot of gear out there to choose from😁

The MLE is superb, light but strong, very comfy & the harness has molle so a hydration pouch can be mounted, didn't take mine off for 72 hours straight, barely felt i was wearing anything, & easy to wear a Bergen with it.

The rig with the horizontal pouches you've shown is marketed as a sniper rig, allegedly more suited for use in the prone position, I've got one but not had a chance to try it yet.

As for osprey etc, heavy kit in comparison, I wouldn't bother.

If you thread it through properly it should be robust enough to hold the pouches in place 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPECIAL-OFFER-MTP-Webbing-Belt-Kit-Set-7-Osprey-Pouches-Molle-Belt-Battle-Yoke/133670697083?hash=item1f1f64f87b:g:DegAAOSws19f9umZ

Alternatively you could look at the Virtus Webbing 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-British-Army-MTP-Virtus-Chassis-Molle-Hip-belt-Yoke-9-pouches-Medium/164255748417?hash=item263e67d141:g:OWgAAOSw3LJe7zKU

Or the classic PLCE although these secure via a plastic tab that slide through the belt.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/British-army-issue-dpm-PLCE-webbing-fighting-order/124368326899?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item1cf4ee10f3:g:BvYAAOSwJmJe-7dh&amdata=enc%3AAQAFAAACcBaobrjLl8XobRIiIML1V4Imu%2Fn%2BzU5L90Z278x5ickkp2NA0WuhQytmt4dbStg00ESKwKs2iLZsfPJCCETKcz0XVl%2BZQLCodLNUie5dE7XIBwLnUOASc56tiNq1TlMxzUKWUkrdeFJWQbb5gyTU9FCFioichSuXjqF%2B1MuR7oFoKXBt5eJQceoH%2FegayZ5A%2B9IlNbHENGom1npbwlbamyNlfYfoNLNdqA0zrY06rofLJRxvKnYcx9DJuONmkAMuGdXyddCH7P9q0qXwn8Dme7ARHWETrRkWrvqkL51b9BRxRSf40prQ3Y5pdiRxHfXFOJytMrKoPEtQM0qJkhf2kXcnwlCxjaZK8DXaNJJsS005%2FWXsCDo3TieaXR2XECTKGIeXeguDp%2Fjs7OxD6m69z4wH9DlhAlnpeet31kfgovGB2e5GGKSW6H9A4y3yeNX1iiN52PzgfE3OsNcfj80VgaqmpsFW60zfRExeWMZATEHaUQIaAjvuIKE2P55I5GwUo67pRziFl52Sy3d4bChde21mz4LEy1MzSii%2F%2Fkle%2BojWIaZhweHYETD8bshMh16Yv2vrbAW5Zv1uj80bZmM%2FvieH7%2FGVmLxvmCOfDIxPS7i4v0%2FnQz1ys0Cc7WXdqmwduqDGIQeV%2FL1AJpegRG%2FOMMYhHPRkt9K48ag%2Bm9dKxFEmS5uFt0QRxCOxHWjP0XAVizykLUHSTKNCFszpNMLlSkwk1h%2B3f%2BzGEhBP%2F977BrGeup5IvGq6FS7KoTn%2BMUo3%2BCtBq%2B738%2FdxjqB0DPMFgUs5ZDahk%2Bz0jdfM8fMijJnu7HCORLpS1TttMIRBoGTYKQ%3D%3D|cksum%3A1243683268997b98a3003e9a4267b15784746cbc70b7|ampid%3APL_CLK|clp%3A2334524

if you want a plate carrier then have a plate carrier, but its true that you get what you pay for.

Whe i first started playing i when for a plate carrier, a cheaper on, and it did carry mags well but it didnt breath well, got very hot, it was tricky to adjust and if you wanted to change the pouches it wasnt something you could do mid game (all my rifs seem to be different calibers), addmitted ly the last wasnt an issue when starting.

After deciding i needed a change so went for a chest rig, much easier to move, much cooler temperature wise when playing fast, just as much space for pouches and as it happens it was a scalable setup, being that it was a Warrior 901 chest rig, so i could add back panels etc at a later date.

if i were starting again, or advising someone who wants to get something now but like the idea of plate carriers then Id suggest looking at the small warrior chest rigs, which are velco back and can connect to the new style of modular PC.  the smaller rigs are affordable, and can be found second hand, strong and well designed so they will last, and if you do want a pc in the end you can just remove the straps and clip it on to the PC. itll give you something to start with and progress to a better design and much better rig if and when you do.

eg. currently i use a warrior recon carrier and changing primary i just rip off the front panel and swap for a different setup, and grab the appropriate rif

I was also of the opinion that a plate carrier would be the way forward in airsoft though in my case (and probably not yours) I couldn’t get the damn thing to go over my not inconsiderable beer gut!

Quite funny to look at but completely impractical, the thing wouldn’t let me breathe out, crouch down or anything remotely useful.

In the end, I found a set of soldier 95 webbing, identical to the one I used to use so I knew it well and half the price of a decent plate carrier and the gut can do (or go) whatever it wants so is no longer an issue! 

These types of systems are usually much better for lightness and prone firing positions as they will still allow you access to your mags if you find yourself laid down for an extended period. 

By and large they can be customised as well as anything else and it surprises most as to how much you can get into them, being around the waist they also give more freedom of movement in general.

Good hunting!

You need a smersh ❤️

52 minutes ago, Skara said:

You need a smersh ❤️

I think my M4 magazines are the wrong shape for a smersh rig.

• Supporters

Anyone who tells you 'X archetype of gear is de facto good/bad' doesn't have the slightest bloody clue what they're talking about.  Said this on here before, will say it again - There are big, heavy, sweaty armour vests and plate carriers that exist out there on the market and there are slim, lightweight, breathable and flexible ones.  The exact same sorts of things apply for chest rigs, regular vests, uniforms and anything else you'd wear.  A huge part of airsoft is cosplay anyway, get whichever type of thing you want but get a good example of that thing.

Military issued kit is built to an alright standard, but the designs always lag behind by about 10 years in anything the military adopts because government agencies have the turning circles of cruise liners.  Issue uniforms represent good value because they're made in giant quantities that far eclipse commercial offerings so you get economy of scale, but modern standard issue load bearing kit (armour vests and belts) is designed with protection in mind and is overly bulky and heavy for airsoft on top of being dated in design principles.  Better a half decent clone JPC (or equivalent) than surplus Osprey any day.

Flecktarn is probably the best store for kit applicable to airsoft in the UK, cannot go wrong with an MLE.  With any other purchases along the lines of belts/vests in future, when buying from stores you do get what you pay for, and it's not possible to make a high quality (even mid range quality) PC with PALS and a set of pouches for sub-£40 retail.  You don't have to buy crye either there's good stuff inbetween the SF kit and true chinese garbage that so many players start with and 99% inevitably ditch in short order.  It's much better to keep checking ebay, pre-fired, facebook gear groups and the classifieds for a good 2nd hand deal on a solid brand than it is spending the same money on something lower quality from a retailer.

4 minutes ago, 38super said:

I think my M4 magazines are the wrong shape for a smersh rig.

It's a bit of a heresy, but I use it with my M4s too sometimes and I have no issues with drawing mags.

One thing that would help is to make small spacer blocks to lift mags up a bit :) Not a permanent modification so whenever you decide to run an AK you can simply remove them.

• 2 months later...

Plenty of people can tell you how it feels to their body type, and they can tell you how it looks in their opinion - but really it's just down to you.

Buy stuff, make mistakes, and learn from them.

End of the day, it's Airsoft, it is something we enjoy and it isn't life or death so it really comes down to two things;

A) Does it feel good?

B) Does it look good?

We dress up all fancy and play soldiers so looks is definitely a factor 😎 Feel cool wearing it.

So plate carrier, chest webbing, battle belt - whatever you like 😎

I use a cheap 8 fields mock plate carrier with 3 mag pouches. It works nicely, holds the mags, makes chest hits not hurt and feels good. Make sure you get the right size one though my ones a little too chunky so switching shoulders to peek round the left can be annoying as it gets in the way. I love escape from tarkov and real firearms so im looking to upgrade to a proper plate carrier with better mag pouches at some point for giggles and more comfort. If your looking to play super fast probs better off with a battle belt but when you get sprayed up it wont feel nice.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.