Canada Threatening to Ban Airsoft

Impulse

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters
12 hours ago, Asomodai said:

It was a Right Wing Authoritarian Tory Government that effectively banned handguns in the UK, leaving only .22 pistols which were banned a year after. It was also a right wing Tory government that banned full automatic full bore rifles and similar. 

Right mate I really do need to pull you up on this , it wasn’t simply a case of a ‘Right Wing Authoritarian Tory Government’ banning firearms in the U.K. It was as a result of two mass shootings FFS ! 

Were you even born when Hungerford and Dunblane happened ? I remember both events very well and at the time of the Dunblane massacre I was very much in to shooting and I lost several very expensive pistols my self due to the ban , did I agree with the ban ? no I didn’t BUT do I understand why ? Yes 100% I do . It was an example of the few being sacrificed for the many , simple as that .

The public needed to see the Government acting so it could never happen again and they did , this action needed to be taken immaterial of who was in power at the time wether Tory , Labour or the Liberal party had been .

You've completely ignored the history of these actions and politicised them to use as a ‘bash the Tories’ comment which quite frankly is acting in no better a manner than the very culture we’re discussing !

2 hours ago, Druid799 said:

Right mate I really do need to pull you up on this , it wasn’t simply a case of a ‘Right Wing Authoritarian Tory Government’ banning firearms in the U.K. It was as a result of two mass shootings FFS ! 

Were you even born when Hungerford and Dunblane happened ? I remember both events very well and at the time of the Dunblane massacre I was very much in to shooting and I lost several very expensive pistols my self due to the ban , did I agree with the ban ? no I didn’t BUT do I understand why ? Yes 100% I do . It was an example of the few being sacrificed for the many , simple as that .

The public needed to see the Government acting so it could never happen again and they did , this action needed to be taken immaterial of who was in power at the time wether Tory , Labour or the Liberal party had been .

You've completely ignored the history of these actions and politicised them to use as a ‘bash the Tories’ comment which quite frankly is acting in no better a manner than the very culture we’re discussing !

It's in response to the posts and general feeling that it's just the left that are more likely to ban firearms (which seems to not be challenged when stated here, I am playing counterpoint), Just clearing that up.

NZ had a mass shooting and they have cleaned up their gun laws as well being a leftist/centrist government. 

The Conservatives were absoloutely right to ban those firearms, it was very close to banning Airsofts use of RIFs as well. 

The issue is already politicised by people "bashing the left" on the forum, I just want to make sure that people are aware it is not necessarily a "Left or Right" issue. Changes happen in reaction to an event or authoritarian methods of control. 

Edit: I am old enough to remember the mass shootings. 

Further edit: I hadnt brought up the idea that "governments will do it in reaction to an event" because I assumed that everyone knew that was obvious and a given. I am sorry I didn't specifically mention it before. 

I also agree that I did labour the Authortitive part of that statement when I shouldn't have as even a non authoritative government would have acted the same. (The government happened to be authoritative, but it has no real bearing on what resulted from the shooting, it was the right thing to do)

The government is the government.Its not about who is in power at a particular time it is about who has the power all the time.

Parties are just fronts,someone to pledge alliance to,and moan about,but we all must know that they are manipulated by invisible 'advisors',the ones that really pull the strings,the ones that are controlling the whole show.

Regards 

20 hours ago, GenuineGerman said:

I’m sure China is run by the Communist Party 

The Communist Party is Communist in name only; the Chinese are natural Capitalists and the Party has  given up trying to turn them into Communists.

If anything, China is almost pure political Fascism.

• 1 month later...

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but at the end of the first paragraph in the bill it says something like "It does not include replicas intending to resemble antique firearms"

So.... Does that mean they can Airsoft with RIF antiques?

I'd love to wear a fast helmet, assault vest and webbing with multicam and armed with a flintlock/musket! 🤣

I wonder how they define antique.  Often "older than 100 years" is banded about.  There's a whole lot of viable RIFs that are based on guns older than 100 years.

• Supporters
13 minutes ago, hitmanNo2 said:

I wonder how they define antique.  Often "older than 100 years" is banded about.  There's a whole lot of viable RIFs that are based on guns older than 100 years.

iirc isn't the uk definition based on a design that came out before 1875? theirs might be something similar.

tbh i can still see it killing canadian airsoft, reckon a lot of them would rather have nerferised pews than lever guns.

28 minutes ago, hitmanNo2 said:

11 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

iirc isn't the uk definition based on a design that came out before 1875? theirs might be something similar.

tbh i can still see it killing canadian airsoft, reckon a lot of them would rather have nerferised pews than lever guns.

In general English, antique goes for 100 years, but can vary.

In legislation these terms get a definition, and should be referred to within the legislation.

For Canada an antique firearm is a rifle, shotgun or handgun manufactured before 1898, and also meeting specific criteria on the ammunition within each type:

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-98-464/FullText.html

In the UK under the VCRA it is pre 1870 design

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-violent-crime-reduction-act-2006-commencement-no-3-order-2007-firearms-measures

Edited by Tommikka

Just now, Dacks_18 said:

So what the law is basically saying, is;

Airsoft = bad, 

Re-enactment = fine

History dear boy,history. Reliving the glorious gorefests of yesteryear to a paying public. Lol

👍

8 hours ago, Dacks_18 said:

So.... with that logic, if Airsoft is history in Canada then... can they re-enact airsoft!?

Haha. You're messing with my mind now lol🤔

Regards 

• 4 weeks later...

Since the Girandoni airifle was in action in 1779, and bested the standard muskets of the time, surely a 9.48g BB at 500fps is acceptable?  You'd scream your hits for sure.  All in the name of history.

On 11/05/2021 at 20:12, Lozart said:

By what metric?

The education ranking puts them 11th in the world, their economy is the 13th largest and their quality of life is the highest in the world. Or do you just mean that they banned guns?

He he yeah just their views in regards to airsoft, guns their pretty good with, but they don't like replica's, just strange but thats their laws i suppose.

1 hour ago, Sema Dragun said:

He he yeah just their views in regards to airsoft, guns their pretty good with, but they don't like replica's, just strange but thats their laws i suppose.

.... and it varies between territories.

Their laws have been reinforced due to a series of shootings, and the matter of replicas is a combination of replica specific and the knock on effect of the wording in firearms legislation.

Contrary to some of the headlines with the recent gel blaster situation it’s not just the law being heavy handed.  Certain importers knowingly ignored the law and imported & sold replica gel blasters, whereas there were also legal routes that they could have taken

In the UK we also have some BB and gel blaster retailers ignoring the law  

• 3 weeks later...
  • Supporters
On 15/05/2021 at 11:20, Tommikka said:

In the UK we also have some BB and gel blaster retailers ignoring the law

Late to the party, but yup, we do.  If there is a crack down on assault-style toys, I reckon it'll come because of retailers taking the piss rather than the occasional firearms call out to lads larking in the woods (or being seen through their window).

Gelsoft UK seems to have purged their RIFs, but airsoft retailers aren't blameless. I could hop onto Airsoft World and pay them £20 for their fake "defence" that's nothing of the sort, or worse, onto Fat Bobs and just tick a "yeah, mate, for airsofting at airsoft sites and that" box, no more questions asked.  Plus the BBgunz sites don't seem bothered in practice, and will in particular send out "mystery boxes" with RIFs in them.

I've always been in two minds about whether we should rat out these sellers and get them smacked down, or whether that's just inviting trouble that will get the decent ones punished as well.

On the Canuckistani ban, I think it is as bad as it looks. The informal description of it was carefully worded to make it seem like it's not meant to actually ban low powered assault-style toys, but the actual wording says otherwise.  It looks like they're properly stuffed. :( 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.