Canada Threatening to Ban Airsoft

Impulse

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Let's hope they do NOT pass this bill... It'd be another country to join Australia in banning airsoft :(

https://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/cntrng-crm/frrms/c21-en.aspx#s05

image.png.ff6f27ae86cfad07e7c2a262dcac5dbe.png

And from the bill itself, how they're redefining "replica" firearms:

image.png.254b9fa2b0f120b4a110a9cba718f1a8.png

Basically, any replica designed to resemble a firearm that shoots over 500fps or 5.7 joules will be prohibited. Pretty sure a real m4 shoots over 5.7 joules...

Not necessarily a ban of airsoft, there’s the velocity limit (500fps) which would possibly mean a drop - but compare that to the 1 joule limit, and the realistic element

There isn’t an outright ban on those already owned, but it will depend on what existing owners are allowed to do (whether or not they are just allowed to possess RIFs  and cannot take them out)

The good thing is the various flavours of shooting communities coming together, and seeing what outcome they can get with the bill

That video explains it way better than I can, but it's also the definition of a replica changing, which is the real kicker when taken in conjunction with what they want to ban. From the official bill itself:

image.png.63e2764b6f150afcce8943284c329f53.png

From what I gather, they're designating any RIF as a prohibited device, as that would be designed to resemble a real gun that shoots over 500fps or 5.7 joules. So no more buying or selling airsoft guns in Canada, which will kill the sport. Furthermore, police can basically seize any "prohibited device" if you can't produce a licence to own it, but the licence doesn't exist so you can't have one. So they're banning the buying and selling of RIFs and allowing police to seize ones you already possess if they feel like it, with nothing you can do to stop them.

I'll edit the OP to include this part, as it's pretty central to the bill. Again, hopefully it doesn't pass :(

• Supporters

so devices that are functionally airsoft guns are still find as long as they don't look like real guns?

sounds like this was written by a speedsofter.......

does seem out of the blue, isn't canada's actual firearm laws a lot less restricted than the uk? seems counter intuitive for them to ban airsoft when surely people using toy pews is preferable to having them running around with actual hardware......

Agree with Adolf; seems like a pretty fucking pointless law if you can own and run around with an AR16 but can’t play with a toy one... 

5 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

does seem out of the blue, isn't canada's actual firearm laws a lot less restricted than the uk? seems counter intuitive for them to ban airsoft when surely people using toy pews is preferable to having them running around with actual hardware......

It goes beyond Airsoft; the Canadian government seems to be on a general anti-gun crusade right now:

And have been for some time now:

• Supporters
3 minutes ago, Ad_ said:

It goes beyond Airsoft; the Canadian government seems to be on a general anti-gun crusade right now

i suppose i don't exactly keep track of canadian politics.

funny i thought it had gone the other way with them becoming more americanised (ie less restrictive when it comes to firearms, at least culturally).

it's a shame that anything gun related is such an easy political target, not that i'm for the banning (distinct from sensibly controlling access) of firearms but in countries where firearm access is heavily restricted airsoft is at least a way for gun-guys to enjoy something.

Since the Nova Scotia shootings, Canada has gone full on knee jerk.  Imo, Canada has had some really logical laws regarding firearms but then one nutter comes along, imports some illegal firearms and steals a police officer's firearm and it's game over.  It seems like Trudeau is just trying to show up the US when it really isn't necessary.

• Supporters
5 minutes ago, hitmanNo2 said:

Since the Nova Scotia shootings, Canada has gone full on knee jerk.  Imo, Canada has had some really logical laws regarding firearms but then one nutter comes along, imports some illegal firearms and steals a police officer's firearm and it's game over.  It seems like Trudeau is just trying to show up the US when it really isn't necessary.

the problem is when has a law restricting guns or airsoft come into force, and then been repealed or made less severe?

i'd worry that if this doesn't get fought now, it never will be. i hope the canadian airsoft community is strong enough to do that.

i do sometimes wonder, as much as i think the yanks have far too much freedom in this regard, if the rednecks have a point when they cry slippery slope every time a move is made against the 2nd amendment.

Absolutely.  Airsoft in Canada has always been fairly restricted anyway from what I gather.  Stuff like only certain people/companies able to import, massively inflated prices compared to the US.  Seems like it's been on thin ice for a while.

And yeah, I think it's perfectly understandable for people to question infringements on the second amendment.  You might come across as a gun nut to a normie but it's only logical to see where it's heading.  A little restriction here, this thing banned there.  Oh, you need to register that.  Oh, now we have a register, you have to surrender all of these types of firearms and we know where they all (well, some of) are...

What I find astounding is the gun control is done in such a bizzare manner like the "features" of the AWB.  Like pistol grips, bayonet mounts lol.  What relevance do these have...The fact stuff is banned based on how scary it looks, regardless if it operates in exactly the same way as something else that is OK because it has wood furniture for example.  And the fact the democrats want another AWB when the first one sunset because it was proven it was irrelevant.  "High capacity" mags vilified but 10 rounders are fine.  I'm sure the average airsofter could change mags in a second or so...

Do I think everyone should be allowed to run around with full auto MP5s with 50 round mags?  No, but there needs to be some actual "common sense gun control".  If I had any say in things, I'd just put stupidly massive sentencing on committing crimes with a firearm/knife.  Mug someone with a firearm?  50 years in prison.  All assets stripped and put towards the costs for you incarceration etc.  So many POS people commit crimes with firearms as they don't fear the consequences.  Just make it not worth it for them.  Who's going to commit an armed home invasion when they're looking at the possibility of seeing out most of their life in prison?  Of course this doesn't account for nutters wanting infamy after going on a killing spree and not caring about suicide by police or at their own hands.  Though the media has been told time and time again what part they play in such events and they refuse to take the advice.  They crave mass killings as they bring in so many clicks... 

• Supporters
2 minutes ago, hitmanNo2 said:

Absolutely.  Airsoft in Canada has always been fairly restricted anyway from what I gather.  Stuff like only certain people/companies able to import, massively inflated prices compared to the US.  Seems like it's been on thin ice for a while.

damn, i figured they were enjoying the us-style freedom with a lot of restrictions being community driven rather than external.

3 minutes ago, hitmanNo2 said:

What I find astounding is the gun control is done in such a bizzare manner like the "features" of the AWB.  Like pistol grips, bayonet mounts lol.  What relevance do these have...The fact stuff is banned based on how scary it looks, regardless if it operates in exactly the same way as something else that is OK because it has wood furniture for example.  And the fact the democrats want another AWB when the first one sunset because it was proven it was irrelevant.  "High capacity" mags vilified but 10 rounders are fine.  I'm sure the average airsofter could change mags in a second or so...

in america it's because they have a very strong opposition to fight against.

tbh my view on it is i don't have a problem with exactly what people can legally own/use, only how difficult it is to access via appropriately vetted licensing and registration.

sentencing on crimes isn't going to help, people still commit murders in states with the death penalty, generally folk committing crimes either think they're going to get away with it, or don't care if they get caught or not.

21 minutes ago, hitmanNo2 said:

It's because the people behind such stupid laws don't like firearms, don't know much (if anything) about them, don't care to listen to anyone who does and are legislating almost entirely based on their feelings and things they've seen in action movies.

https://imgur.com/gallery/YmV5V70

3 minutes ago, Ad_ said:

It's because the people behind such stupid laws don't like firearms, don't know much (if anything) about them, don't care to listen to anyone who does and are legislating almost entirely based on their feelings and things they've seen in action movies.

https://imgur.com/gallery/YmV5V70

Very true.  It's definitely a case of "we're morally right so we don't need to be technically right so I won't spend any time investigating if what I'm saying is utter nonsense"

You'll always come up against a brick wall when it comes to registration of firearms in the US.  At the end of the day, registration of something, anything, only exists for one reason.  So the government know where to find it.

I still feel like severe sentencing does deter people.  Just look at how knife crime over here shot up as it was deemed safer for criminals to use a knife compared to a gun.  Even taking into account the lower circulation of firearms in the UK available to the average criminal.

I have said for years now that the writing is on the wall.the time is coming whereby all guns will be banned and it started with the terrible Dunblane event.

The powers that be do not want the general public to have anything that could be used to show any form of resistance to the power of the forces of law and order. 

Every time I read or hear on news that some one has used a gun illegally or shot a friend in the leg while 'playing with airgun' or neighbour calls police because you have been plinking at targets in back garden with a 'nasty looking weapon,' then I think "That's another nail in the airsoft coffin" and when the police have enough incidents to put before Parliament they will say " ok,enough,hand em all in"

The writing is on the wall......

Regards 

• Supporters

Been on the cards in Canada for a while , Nova Scotia has just given the Government enough rope to get it underway . What it’ll come down too in the end is you’ll still be able to by non military ‘type’ guns just all the AK’s ,AR’s , semi only MP5’s , etc will be banned . As to airsoft ? That’ll be in the lap of the Gods what happens as a very large chunk of Airsofters are inherently selfish whinny bitches who’ll moan and complain that “someone needs to do something to save our sport !” BUT won’t actually do anything about it them selves just expect someone else to do it and then bitch about nothing getting done ? 

10 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

Been on the cards in Canada for a while , Nova Scotia has just given the Government enough rope to get it underway . What it’ll come down too in the end is you’ll still be able to by non military ‘type’ guns just all the AK’s ,AR’s , semi only MP5’s , etc will be banned . As to airsoft ? That’ll be in the lap of the Gods what happens as a very large chunk of Airsofters are inherently selfish whinny bitches who’ll moan and complain that “someone needs to do something to save our sport !” BUT won’t actually do anything about it them selves just expect someone else to do it and then bitch about nothing getting done ? 

Well like I've said before ukapu will be at forefront of any move to stop our sport but in respect of other aspects of gun ownership they will not have so much clout.

Regards 

1 hour ago, Shamal said:

I have said for years now that the writing is on the wall.the time is coming whereby all guns will be banned and it started with the terrible Dunblane event.

The powers that be do not want the general public to have anything that could be used to show any form of resistance to the power of the forces of law and order. 

Every time I read or hear on news that some one has used a gun illegally or shot a friend in the leg while 'playing with airgun' or neighbour calls police because you have been plinking at targets in back garden with a 'nasty looking weapon,' then I think "That's another nail in the airsoft coffin" and when the police have enough incidents to put before Parliament they will say " ok,enough,hand em all in"

Regards 

Completely agree, until we are all unquestioning drones they will ban everything that shows individuality 

• Supporters
59 minutes ago, Shamal said:

Regards 

this is why image is so important.

it's why folk care about for example the "big" airsoft youtubers because that's the image that the world is gonna see whenever it wants to take a look at airsoft, and given the attitudes against guns and gun-like pursuits it's probably not the wisest idea to give them the kindling.

better the world think us a sad bunch of larping nerds than anything that can be considered a threat, but every fights and flipouts video, every dsg justice, every 500fps to the balls clickbait video is doing its work to cement our hobby as an aggresive, violent pursuit that breeds harmful behaviour regardless of the reality.

funny i was chatting to a mate the other day, given under lockdown i'd been having second thoughts about wether i really wanted to keep airsoft going and a big part of the argument is it would be so liberating to have a hobby when i don't have to be so surreptitious and secretive about what i do for fun, something that didn't need to be explained to people etc.

12 minutes ago, GenuineGerman said:

Completely agree, until we are all unquestioning drones they will ban everything that shows individuality 

Exactly that. That is the crux of it all. Thinking individuals are not welcome!

I don't think its anything to do with individuality.  Its the perceived threat from gun loving military types who could be unhinged and threaten the 'good' people of the country.

So we all have the responsibility to keep our hobby in good light.  Too many incidents where Police are involved will grab the attention of lawmakers/politicians who then seek a ban as a way to show the 'good' voting population that they are protecting the country from a minority of crazy types.

Its all about policies to gain the favour of the voting majority.

• Supporters
17 minutes ago, EDcase said:

So we all have the responsibility to keep our hobby in good light.  Too many incidents where Police are involved will grab the attention of lawmakers/politicians who then seek a ban as a way to show the 'good' voting population that they are protecting the country from a minority of crazy types.

yep, like it or not we're the bad guys, at least when it comes to politics.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.