Pmr 446

GenuineGerman

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Firstly apologies if this has been asked before however I could find anything. 

I’m looking to get a radio and don’t want to get a license. 

Any recommendations on the best value for money PMR available? I’ve had a look and they range from super cheap to a couple of hundred. 

cheers 

10 minutes ago, GenuineGerman said:

Any recommendations on the best value for money PMR available? I’ve had a look and they range from super cheap to a couple of hundred.

Best value? Baofeng.

Legal?...umm...no.

Doesn't stop lots of people buying them though.

If you want a legit PMR446 radio, I'd say something from Motorola, perhaps the TKLR series.

Baofeng 888. 

Good site radio. As @Speedbird_666says not legit without license but hey we have been running 4 of them for 5 years and have never had a prob.

Regards 

Baofeng BF-888 or Baofeng BF-88e are both UK legal PMR radios with pre-programmed channels.

I've found them to be quite congested at some sights, and range is about 1/2km in dense woodlandi Ended up switching to licenced UV-5Rs after 6 months

39 minutes ago, Paladin said:

Baofeng BF-888 or Baofeng BF-88e are both UK legal PMR radios with pre-programmed channels.

That's funny, my BF-888s were definitely not legal on the pre-programmed channels. The radios came with high-powered mode set as default, which can't be changed without the programming cable. I'm not even sure the low powered setting is actually below the limit either.

Then there's the small issue of removable aerials. PMR446 units cannot have them (so as to not increase their range buy adding a larger one), so even if the power is within the legal PMR446 limits, they are illegal anyway.

So, it comes down to the classic 'pick two out of three' scenario.

- Cheap

- Legal

- Good

Pick any two, but you can't have the third.

So:

Cheap and Legal - Binatone and other low-end guff. Unlikely to be good though.

Cheap and Good - Baofeng, but it won't be legal.

Legal and Good - Motorola and equivalents, but it won't be cheap.

Just my 2p.

I have looked at the baofeng bf888 and as @Speedbird_666 says they aren’t legal to use as a pmr 466 although there is some conjecture on this. Clear as mud as normal. 

Thanks for all the info, I think I might just get a cheap and cheerful initially to see how I get on and then if it works and I don’t get bored by using a radio I might get a proper one. 

1 hour ago, GenuineGerman said:

I have looked at the baofeng bf888 and as @Speedbird_666 says they aren’t legal to use as a pmr 466 although there is some conjecture on this. Clear as mud as normal. 

Thanks for all the info, I think I might just get a cheap and cheerful initially to see how I get on and then if it works and I don’t get bored by using a radio I might get a proper one. 

Look on ebay. There are lots of radios on there and to be honest they are not expensive at all.👍

Regards 

• Supporters
On 14/02/2021 at 10:59, Speedbird_666 said:

That's funny, my BF-888s were definitely not legal on the pre-programmed channels. The radios came with high-powered mode set as default, which can't be changed without the programming cable. I'm not even sure the low powered setting is actually below the limit either.

Then there's the small issue of removable aerials. PMR446 units cannot have them (so as to not increase their range buy adding a larger one), so even if the power is within the legal PMR446 limits, they are illegal anyway.

So, it comes down to the classic 'pick two out of three' scenario.

- Cheap

- Legal

- Good

Pick any two, but you can't have the third.

So:

Cheap and Legal - Binatone and other low-end guff. Unlikely to be good though.

Cheap and Good - Baofeng, but it won't be legal.

Legal and Good - Motorola and equivalents, but it won't be cheap.

Just my 2p.

On 14/02/2021 at 12:21, GenuineGerman said:

Hopefully to clarify, the BF-888 is not UK legal due to power output, but the BF-888S/BF-88e PMR Version are 0.5W and come with a fixed antenna (hence the name change to BF-88e). There are different versions of all the Baofeng radios which have very subtle changes to the model number but significant differences in functionality!

As for legit PMR446 - Motorola TLKR is the the go to.

• 3 weeks later...

As someone who is just starting to build their comms set-up (and already purchased a pair of Baofeng UV-5Rs which I'm beginning to think was the wrong thing to do) I'm guessing that these are also illegal, despite the claim in the advert? 

11 minutes ago, C-Diddy said:

As someone who is just starting to build their comms set-up (and already purchased a pair of Baofeng UV-5Rs which I'm beginning to think was the wrong thing to do) I'm guessing that these are also illegal, despite the claim in the advert? 

As per @Lozart's post, it seems that there are legal BF-88x models. However, within the specs of the units that you linked to, it states that the power output is 3w, which is well above the PMR446 legal limit (0.5w). Could be a typo on the website as it also states that the Aerial is fixed for PMR446 compliance.

15 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

As per @Lozart's post, it seems that there are legal BF-88x models. However, within the specs of the units that you linked to, it states that the power output is 3w, which is well above the PMR446 legal limit (0.5w). Could be a typo on the website as it also states that the Aerial is fixed for PMR446 compliance.

Yeah, as somebody has already said; clear as mud. Think I'll be punting the Baofengs on and looking elsewhere

• Supporters
32 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

The output stage of the transmitter is 3W, doesn't mean it will transmit at 3W. In fact, slightly higher up the same chart it states that the RF power is 0.5W/2W. Almost definitely easier to just get the Motorola ones to be on the safe side.

1 minute ago, Lozart said:

The output stage of the transmitter is 3W, doesn't mean it will transmit at 3W. In fact, slightly higher up the same chart it states that the RF power is 0.5W/2W. Almost definitely easier to just get the Motorola ones to be on the safe side.

Ah, didn't spot that bit.

Yeh - if in doubt, stick with the big companies.

1 minute ago, Speedbird_666 said:

Ah, didn't spot that bit.

Yeh - if in doubt, stick with the big companies.

Out of curiosity I've pinged the company a message to see what they say. Agree though; spend a bit more and stay legit. Typical that I've already got a PTT with a Kenwood plug in though...

• Supporters
8 minutes ago, C-Diddy said:

Out of curiosity I've pinged the company a message to see what they say. Agree though; spend a bit more and stay legit. Typical that I've already got a PTT with a Kenwood plug in though...

Get a Kenwood then ;) https://www.radio-solutions.co.uk/walkie-talkie/business-licence-free-radios/kenwood.html

Here’s an interesting article about the use of Baofengs in the UK. It’s written by Ham radio enthusiasts. It’s an interesting read and answers many questions all in one place. 

https://www.essexham.co.uk/baofeng-radio-without-licence

You can also apply for a  business licence and use the baofengs within the agreed spectrum. Of course if there is a group of 5 (your fire team) then you can split the cost between yourself at £15/each. 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.