Tm Mk23 Socom Conversion

Kane the ozzy

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

G'day

I'm looking to purchase a tm mk23 socom, 3 mags and a silverback suppressor. However I need to have it converted to a gel blaster. All of our xurrebt GBB pistols are airsoft conversions, 2011 TTI baba yaga, 1911, glock xtp, golden eagle 4.3, 5.1 etc. Gel blasters are essentially airsoft with different size and type of projectile/inner barrel diameter.(see attached files) I can provide the inner barrel to suit this conversion (7.3 I/D x 8.9 O/Dmm) plus gel balls for test firing. I do need a letter to submit to in line with my import permit stating the following:

To whom it may concern

This tokyo marui mk23 socom is no longer capable of shooting 6mm airsoft BB's. It has been converted to a gel blaster and now shoots 7-8mm gel balls.

Airsoft tech

Any advice or assistance would be graciously appreciated 

Cheers from down under

Kane

Screenshot_20210126-210720_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210126-210733_Chrome.jpg

All seems a bit weird to me.

What about handling them after they have been soaked? I can imagine they are gonna be a bit like boiled garden peas. And if you have ever tried to load garden peas in your mk23 mag then you will know it's a right mess!

Regards 

From what little I know from watching a couple of videos these are not homebrew conversions, they are a factory made product. I suppose it's similar to 4.5mm airguns but it needs scaling up the other way which is actually harder. The barrel, nozzle and the mag need scaling up. So you can't just modify a standard mk23 mag as the feed channel needs to be bigger.

10 hours ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

How does it work with the mags which are designed to take 6mm BB's?

Hey CrO-Magnon, feed lips are either honed or replaced, springs are some times replaced with softer compression and the feed slot is dremeled out to 7.5mm

This is my 1911 gel GBB converted pistol.

Screenshot_20210205-081523_Gallery.jpg

8 hours ago, Shamal said:

All seems a bit weird to me.

What about handling them after they have been soaked? I can imagine they are gonna be a bit like boiled garden peas. And if you have ever tried to load garden peas in your mk23 mag then you will know it's a right mess!

Regards 

G'day Shamal,

Our current gels are pretty hard. On average taking around 8/9kg (16/18Lbs) of force to crush them.

The Gels are strong enough to handle the Co2 variants of GBB pistols 320fps average.

7 hours ago, heroshark said:

From what little I know from watching a couple of videos these are not homebrew conversions, they are a factory made product. I suppose it's similar to 4.5mm airguns but it needs scaling up the other way which is actually harder. The barrel, nozzle and the mag need scaling up. So you can't just modify a standard mk23 mag as the feed channel needs to be bigger.

Hi Heroshark

I own a 1911 gel GBB pistol but I wasnt instrumental in its conversion. So I don't know the specific alterations that needed to occur to get it cycling properly.

I get that the 1/1.5mm circumference difference between projectiles might require some attention.

All things I'm happy to pay a technician money to iron out.

Who'll take up the challenge?

Screenshot_20210205-081523_Gallery.jpg

• Supporters

7-8mm

Forgive me for asking but can these things hit the broad side of a barn if thats the state of ammo consisistency? While i'm asking do they still use a hop unit or is it more like less messy paintball?

As for the conversion indeed a tricky one, there is scope for larger stuff in airsoft like the old marushin 8mm stuff but nothing really current. I can forsee a fair number of problems around the likes of nozzles etc. I'm not as familiar with the mk23 as i am with the gbb stuff but there may also be an issue with nozzle stroke as well as diameter (compared to gbb's where the stroke is way overkill for actual feeding because of mimicking loading a full size cartridge)

Aodlf hamster nice.

The gels i use are pretty consistent 7/7.3mm, but you do get oddities. Plus the range/fps isnt as good. To metaphorically condense the difference of projectiles, how far and hard could you throw an egg compared to golf ball. No where near airsoft BB consistency, especially the rigors that I watched of Novritsch's sniper BB screening/testing system.

The inconsistencies definently have an affect on grouping/accuracy. But it's what we've got to work with until the airsoft ban gets re-addressed. Plus it's all in fun.

As pictured we do have hop up, but ours tend to go on the end of the barrel (see attached picture) I asked a gel blaster guru about the reasoning behind why we dont have the bucking/hop at the start of the barrel but i havent gotten a response.

I have no experience with the mk23. Aside from seeing it shoot on youtube and reviews. The exploded parts diagram and youtube upgrade videos made me think, there's a chance this can work.

If you know of a reputable legendary airsoft technician that loves a challenge and something "outside the box". Here it is.

Cheers lad

16125040826392275506584918349083.jpg

• Supporters

interesting, in theory it would make more sense for the hop to stay at the start of the barrel, round is travelling slower so you're not getting an impact force. looks like quite a long unit though so maybe it's spread out to compensate.

technically having the whole barrel as a hop would be least damage to the projectiles but you need real consistency and a known ammo weight/energy to make that work (i vaguely recall someone mentioning something like that in paintball).

unfortunately curiosity aside i don't really know of any techs who'd match up the skill and the willingness to take on such a project, but maybe some folks in the community might have some better options than that. i don't know enough about the mk23 specifically to say what parts might need changed and wether fabricating replacements would be a viable option.

however if your dream is a mk23 esque theme then perhaps a converted usp? not quite the same thing in looks or performance but maybe close enough to cut the mustard given it's already known that standard gbb's can take a conversion.

The unit in the picture is about 50mm(2 inches) long, its grub screwed into place and i didnt really want to unscrew it and change its location on my barrel adaptor/suppressor base.

This model has two adjustments. A lower flat plate to adjust up or down to straighten the hop curve and a ridged upper curved plate that screws down or up to create the magnus effect/back spin. From my limited experience, its the better quality of hop ups for gel blasters.

No dramas buddy. Thanks for the replies and input. Much appreciated 

All the best

Kane

• Supporters

yeah the contact patch looks to be a lot longer than the sub 10mm patch you see in airsoft, but then with harder bb's you can add pressure to compensate.

tbh this topic is rather interesting, i know you lads down under have some crappy rules to deal with, kinda interesting to see how you're getting around it.

ironically our own rules have recently been the subject of some debate if you have a few hours and a tub of popcorn.

• Supporters
2 minutes ago, Kane the ozzy said:

At a wild stab in the dark,I take it the rules havent change for the better??.... close?

oh our rules are staying the same for now, but there were some groups advocating much lower fps limits due to a combination of being bored and dislike a particular youtuber's playstyle.

didn't really go anywhere but like i say was something to do with the lockdown boredom.

but it was mentioned that at least we don't have to deal with the whole gel blaster thing like you guys, although it's fascinating seeing that there's more to it than what myself (and possibly a fair number of other folk) assumed was kind of like wet nerf.

Hmmmm....to the effect of..... "we dont like head shots?"

"A shootout... is a f@%#*^¥ shootout!"

Lowering fps isnt a good deterrent, it wont help you get better.

32 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

oh our rules are staying the same for now, but there were some groups advocating much lower fps limits due to a combination of being bored and dislike a particular youtuber's playstyle.

didn't really go anywhere but like i say was something to do with the lockdown boredom.

but it was mentioned that at least we don't have to deal with the whole gel blaster thing like you guys, although it's fascinating seeing that there's more to it than what myself (and possibly a fair number of other folk) assumed was kind of like wet nerf.

• Supporters
10 minutes ago, Kane the ozzy said:

Hmmmm....to the effect of..... "we dont like head shots?"

very astute, seems his fame is well travelled.

10 minutes ago, Kane the ozzy said:

Lowering fps isnt a good deterrent, it wont help you get better.

i agree there, folk are gonna try and beat any limit that's in place.

I'm thinking maybe the feed is the same size and they just squeeze in by the looks of it. it'll need new feed lips, new possibly modded nozzle and a new barrel/hop/chamber.

you need someone good at cad/3d print and knows mk23 . Hadron would be your best bet imo you wanted someone to take it on.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.