Valid Defence and Importing?

gunbod007

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So I am desperately after a WE Apache MP5A3 GBB. it's lockdown, I'm impatient and going crazy waiting to find one. It seems none are available in the UK based on my searches. So I have been considering importing via Swit airsoft. I have some problems/questions:

1: I don't have UKARA as only recently got back into the sport and surely it is impossible to get UKARA during lockdowns?

2: UKARA technically isn't the only defence so I do have "Just Cos" which some sites accept and some don't. Also debating a "Sportsman's association membership" again accepted by some sites. Both of these allow me some defence while not being able to play due to lockdown.

I suppose my question is, at what stage of importing is valid defence checked by and who? Would they accept anything that I have other than UKARA? And does anyone have experience with importing or troubles with it, including not receiving your RIF?

Alternatively if anyone knows of UK stock for this RIF please let me know. I am a genuine Airsofter who has just got back into the sport at the worst time and desperately scratching my head to find valid defence.

30 minutes ago, gunbod007 said:

So I am desperately after a WE Apache MP5A3 GBB. it's lockdown, I'm impatient and going crazy waiting to find one. It seems none are available in the UK based on my searches. So I have been considering importing via Swit airsoft. I have some problems/questions:

1: I don't have UKARA as only recently got back into the sport and surely it is impossible to get UKARA during lockdowns?

2: UKARA technically isn't the only defence so I do have "Just Cos" which some sites accept and some don't. Also debating a "Sportsman's association membership" again accepted by some sites. Both of these allow me some defence while not being able to play due to lockdown.

I suppose my question is, at what stage of importing is valid defence checked by and who? Would they accept anything that I have other than UKARA? And does anyone have experience with importing or troubles with it, including not receiving your RIF?

Alternatively if anyone knows of UK stock for this RIF please let me know. I am a genuine Airsofter who has just got back into the sport at the worst time and desperately scratching my head to find valid defence.

You are correct, there isn't a way to start getting your UKARA at the moment. 

You will struggle to find anyone who will accept anything other then UKARA which satisfies the VCRA. However here is what you want in the UK.

WE MP5 Apache A3 GBB Black | Praetorian Tactical | Airsoft | Tactical Kit | Equipment (prae-tac.com)

Be patient. Get your UKARA or go two tone. 

8 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

You will struggle to find anyone who will accept anything other then UKARA which satisfies the VCRA. However here is what you want in the UK.

WE MP5 Apache A3 GBB Black | Praetorian Tactical | Airsoft | Tactical Kit | Equipment (prae-tac.com)

Thanks for the link, seen them before but "pre order" only. Will contact them next week to see how long that's gonna take.

I suppose my question is less about websites that will accept anything but UKARA because I am confident some will. It is more if they accept. what happens on the import side. I need a friend in border control haha

24 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

Never get a two tone. Unless you are 14 and your mum gives you a lift to the site and then washes your combats for you. 

1 minute ago, DRay said:

Never get a two tone. Unless you are 14 and your mum gives you a lift to the site and then washes your combats for you. 

Ahhhh, those were the days... packed lunch too if I was lucky. Granted back then for me UKARA wasn’t a thing and two tone was reserved to market stall specials. 

20 minutes ago, gunbod007 said:

Thanks for the link, seen them before but "pre order" only. Will contact them next week to see how long that's gonna take.

I suppose my question is less about websites that will accept anything but UKARA because I am confident some will. It is more if they accept. what happens on the import side. I need a friend in border control haha

A valid UKARA needs to be written on the box of anything you import so that if customs find it in a random search, you can get it released easily. If you cant prove a valid defense the rifle can be destroyed and you in hot water legally. (Possible fine or sentence.) 

UKARA is the one provable method of a defense that Border Force recognise and has a form of access to.

Read what happened to me and I was lucky enough to have a UKARA number on the box and could insist on them checking it as proof of my defense. 

https://airsoft-forums.uk/topic/47276-rs-t97-is-home/

As I said before. Get your UKARA or go two tone. 

15 minutes ago, gunbod007 said:

I think, and I am reasonably confident of this advice because I have actually read VCRA rather than just summaries of summaries of my other people’s posts, that you *should* be ok using an alternative defence. 

That is, if you are a proper airsofter, you have pictures and videos of you skirmishing at a variety of sites, you have got email confirmations of attendance at skirmishes such as payment receipts etc then that *should* qualify as a defence as it is a reasonable assumption you are going to use the RIF for the appropriate reasons. I don’t have a UKARA number because it it a fucking cartel and a closed shop which I refuse to subscribe to, and have never played at one site more than a couple of times. That said I own (and have owned in the past, RIFs) and have bought them from people who will accept my defence (pictures, videos, emails confirming attendance). 

That said, there are a couple of *should*S in there. You are relying on the vendor accepting the defence which is easy to check before you buy. The issue is if Border Force know the law well enough to understand that and will let it through. I have worked with Border Force a few times and on the whole they are nice blokes and profession but not the brightest and unlikely to be aware of what is actually a pretty niche law. 

It boils down to how much money you have got to play with. £300+ is a lot of money to

risk on the odd chance a UKBF agent misunderstands the law and thinks that UKARA is a license etc. Personally I am happy to throw away money on toys but I wouldn’t risk that much money. 

As the chaps have said on here if UKBF don’t think you have a valid defence wave bye bye to your rif and hard earned readies. 

alternatively you could join the MVT/re-enactment association which would give you a Defense as well. 

i don’t have UKARA either however I have held PLI for a good few years now and am a member if a registered re-enactment group and I personally prefer this Defense as it doesn’t limit me to just airsoft rifs 

1 hour ago, DRay said:

I think, and I am reasonably confident of this advice because I have actually read VCRA rather than just summaries of summaries of my other people’s posts, that you *should* be ok using an alternative defence. 

That is, if you are a proper airsofter, you have pictures and videos of you skirmishing at a variety of sites, you have got email confirmations of attendance at skirmishes such as payment receipts etc then that *should* qualify as a defence as it is a reasonable assumption you are going to use the RIF for the appropriate reasons. I don’t have a UKARA number because it it a fucking cartel and a closed shop which I refuse to subscribe to, and have never played at one site more than a couple of times. That said I own (and have owned in the past, RIFs) and have bought them from people who will accept my defence (pictures, videos, emails confirming attendance). 

That said, there are a couple of *should*S in there. You are relying on the vendor accepting the defence which is easy to check before you buy. The issue is if Border Force know the law well enough to understand that and will let it through. I have worked with Border Force a few times and on the whole they are nice blokes and profession but not the brightest and unlikely to be aware of what is actually a pretty niche law. 

It boils down to how much money you have got to play with. £300+ is a lot of money to

risk on the odd chance a UKBF agent misunderstands the law and thinks that UKARA is a license etc. Personally I am happy to throw away money on toys but I wouldn’t risk that much money. 

Yeah this is what I am saying. UKARA isn't the only valid defence but it is certainly one of the most widely accepted. Putting the safety pf my £400+ RIF in the hands of Border Force able to figure that out doesn't fill me with confidence so I will probably wait for UK stock or until we can actually play and I can get my UKARA

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.