Serving Airsofters; Are We Annoying?

DRay

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Do non-serving military types find serving military types annoying at an airsoft site (as a general rule)? 

I am clearly biased being in the latter group, and clearly believe that knowing hand signals and being pretty war-y is of incalculable benefit to my comrades. I would be interested to hear tales/opinions on whether it is. 

Obviously the stereotype of airsoft players is frustrated infantrymen, and thus that they must LOVE playing with people who are in the armed forces. Clearly there are many many people that play that don’t regard themselves as ‘almost special forces’ so it is more that type of player that I would be interested to hear their take. 

I was in the army never deployed anywhere though.

Tbh, noone will find it annoying as long as you are there to have fun and are an honest player.

I notice though I can play really smoothly and almost breeze through cqb sites with a mate who is ex army compared to playing with friends who are not. Communication is crystal clear, we can follow each other up properly. Always on top of mag changes, always ready and aware. Just always know what each of us is doing too. 

If that makes sense.

But I enjoy it both ways and couldn't really care less about ability. 

Honesty makes a good player.

If you start trying to take charge and shout at people or get frustrated then you'll wind people up.

I think generally most people go to have a fun day (winning a few exchanges, chatting with mates and showing off their new equipment) and are not too bothered about sticking to a strict tactic or formation etc. As I mentioned in another thread, airsoft has more in common with first person shooter computer games than it does an actual war environment. Running around my local woods with a BB gun doesn't equate to me believing this is how Vietnam was or something.

As such I'm happy to let everyone play at their own pace. I do offer basic advice to novices who are clearly in need of it, especially when I know the site very well but it's just friendly advice. I would never dream of barking orders at someone and quite frankly I would think anyone who did, was a cock.

I would rather take airsoft tips from an experienced airsofter over someone who was inexperienced at the game but had served in the Military.

I should add, I have no issues with anyone who does want to employ military tactics...again, from my experience everyone is happy doing their own thing.

1 hour ago, Cromulon1994 said:

If you start trying to take charge and shout at people or get frustrated then you'll wind people up.

Ain't that the truth. 

I just love the invisible loudmouth who resides somewhere south of my six and who's main involvement consists of "MOVE,MOVE. MOVE UP FOR FUCKS SAKE.JESUS WORK TOGETHER." Mr move it magically seems to dissapear when you move aside to let him pass.lol

I don't respond well to hollering.😡

Regards 

No, you aren't annoying as a generalisation. The annoying ones are the ones who start telling you how to play and how you're playing wrong, though this isn't exclusive to serving airsofters, non-serving airsofters are just as good at doing this; there's no such thing as playing wrong in airsoft, which is one of the wonderful things about our hobby. Want to dress like an operator and emulate squad based tactics and stuff, then you do you. Also if you want to dress in a pink leotard and a froofy tutu and run around with two GBB pistols, then all power to you for doing so.

I'd honestly find it illuminating pairing up with a serving soldier in airsoft, to get pointers and observe how they'd play the ghillie sniper role. Playing spotter for a serving sniper for an airsoft skirmish day or even a longer game like filmsim or milsim would be an interesting experience, but probably not something I'd want to do on a regular basis! As much as I like to improve my game and become a better airsoft sniper, I also enjoy the fact that it isn't like the real thing and I don't have to lie in my own waste product for days. I enjoy the fact that it's a bit more hollywood and lone wolf-esque.

All airsofters are annoying to a point, because most people are annoying to a point.

As many have said, if playing in a particular way is where you find your fun then you do you. Nothing I’ve ever had happen or seen happen during a game will ever come close to how annoying I find ‘safe zone chuntering’. But I don’t think any of the various sub-sets of airsofters are more prone to doing it.

It’s a hobby, that is done to have fun. People draw that fun from different places. As long as that is acknowledged I have zero issue.

At least I think that’s what my opinion is, it’s been that long since I’ve played I almost miss people grumbling in the safe zone after a game about alleged cheating that they ‘didn’t see the point’ of telling a marshal about.

From my experience, unless someone told me they were currently serving or had served I'd probably not know. Everyone, runs off one way and I skip off in another dressed like a fucking bush!

My mates ex army and he finds it cringe to wear his old issued smock. But each to their own. 

General consensus seems to be, you can be in the SAS or be a dentist, it doesn't matter as long as your not a dick!

As ex military I find myself thinking I can hard target into cover and using firing discipline. However I play for me and don’t interfere in how others play as at your normal skirmish it’s just about having fun so more power to people enjoying the sport as that’s why we all do it. At milsim events this is obviously different but people who go to milsim go for that reason. 

Live and let live, be honest and have fun. 

Hi @DRay! 👋

You bring up another interesting topic! 🤔👍

Also interesting responses. 🔫😎👍

Airsoft is played by many people from different backgrounds, the good and the bad, thankfully the bad are in the minority and get dealt with, at good sites! 🤔

Airsoft is about having fun, playing fair and chatting with people on the day! 

(Friends, new players, enemy players, not everyone but majority!)
If I come across a military experienced player, serving or retired, I will always have a time for a chat, thanking them and getting some knowledge helps! 😎👍

Also respect to those that serve past, present and future! 💂‍♀️👍

💷GAMBLE💷

• Supporters
1 minute ago, EDcase said:

I'd be very happy to play alongside serving or ex military person as long as they have the correct spirit of the game.

As previously said, we don't want to see people acting superior or taking it like a military training exercise with them in charge.

I'll happily follow along if someone next to me says, 'lets try and go this way'.

been trying to sum it up but this is pretty much the same lines as my thinking.

an asshole is an asshole wether he hunts cavities or scuds for a living.

1 hour ago, EDcase said:

I'd be very happy to play alongside serving or ex military as long as they have the correct spirit of the game.

As previously said, we don't want to see people acting superior or treating it like a training exercise with them in charge.

I'd certainly follow along if someone next to me says, 'lets try and go this way'.

Nail on head. Only issue I have is when it turns into a cockswinging contest. Serving military, ex military or not at all, I don’t need to know how much money you’ve ploughed into your P* or 4 figure set of NVG.

End of the day, what we do is all for a bit of fun and to stretch the legs, generally I’ve made more friends out of serving/ex forces than I have taken a disliking to. 

• Supporters

Agree with all the previous comments as long as you don’t start with the “When I was in Falujah !” Crap then no one really care if your in or out just as long as your there to enjoy your day like them .

Saying that I do find most players are quite receptive to a bit of advice from people who’ve done it for real(but again don’t give it the “big i am” just ‘suggest’ not bark instructions at them), it is quite funny when you do get a member of her majesty’s forces on the field , once they switch on it becomes blatantly obvious who’s served and who hasn’t ? 😁

Anyone who gets into the spirit of the game is a laugh to play with.  I think that ex and serving blokes are generally good to be around in game as they tend to know (and show you) decent general tactics.   I've thought in the past that playing alongside teams from countries with national service make a difference, but so does learning from well rehearsed and dedicated amateurs.  

On a vaguely similar note I have shot for years beside a couple of armed response blokes.  Neither are the best marksmen or quick reacting people that I know.  I expect that they keep up their mediocre skills despite massive pressure  where others fall apart, but speed and accuracy are not their forte.   Still enjoy taking the piss...  

I don’t think it matters.. Someone said we’re all annoying to a point. I found it really difficult adjusting to airsoft - (no ones scared of death, you can’t shoot through walls, you’re not allowed to cut cake whilst firing into a room etc)

I got absolutely slapped at my first few games because I was playing how I was trained which I found really annoying haha but I soon got my civvy head on started going in jeans and having way more fun. 

I play at site with a few ex-servicemen as regs generally the Walts are more of an annoyance ( dude said he was ex foreign legion couldn't speak a word of French😏). On a previous site I played at seen a couple of sad cases where the guys should have been in therapy not any where near an Airsoft site. Each one was given a lot of leeway (had multiple issues with sportsmanship and temper) due to being ex service men but in the end both got banned before they ended up hurting someone.

I'm pretty new to airsoft but when I first started we'd play on a site with 2 ex-army guys

1st one was ex Polish military and was an absolute blast, he'd disappear in a bush then a bit later half the enemy flank would be calling hits and arguing about friendly fire. He played fair and fast, took his hits like a champ and always offered friendly advice if approached but kept himself to himself.

2nd one was supposedly ex spec ops (started the rumour himself) he would go out of his way to be a pain, barking orders at newbies, wearing extra padding some he didn't feel hits so didn't call them and by far the worst thing I saw him do was use his Gas gun (I think, it had a tube running from the grip to a gas bottle on his belt with a pressure gauge and valve on) he basically shot some guys, they didn't call their hits (I don't think they got hit) so he upped the pressure on his gun which upped the FPS and full auto-ed them till they called it poor guys arms were welted and bleeding. I told the ref to check his gun and he'd dropped the FPS back down.

I don't think ex or active service people are bad for the hobby, I think the second just represents the more toxic side of the community that thankfully doesn't show up too often. I like learning from military peeps as how they approach a situation is different

• Supporters
15 minutes ago, DoooomRider said:

2nd one was supposedly ex spec ops (started the rumour himself) he would go out of his way to be a pain, barking orders at newbies, wearing extra padding some he didn't feel hits so didn't call them and by far the worst thing I saw him do was use his Gas gun (I think, it had a tube running from the grip to a gas bottle on his belt with a pressure gauge and valve on) he basically shot some guys, they didn't call their hits (I don't think they got hit) so he upped the pressure on his gun which upped the FPS and full auto-ed them till they called it poor guys arms were welted and bleeding. I told the ref to check his gun and he'd dropped the FPS back down.

that was an asshole, if the site didn't at the very least kick him off the field for that (or better yet permanently ban him) then i'd be getting my money back and walking.

I think it depends on the person, how long they were in, what their trade was, cap badge etc.. From my experience when I told my army mates about air soft they thought it was gay af (infantry) but i met a guy from 3 med who was into it and him and his mates loved it. I remember doing FIBUA in Catterick and we got beasted because a screw found a mag in a kill house only upon inspecting it it turned out to be a airsoft mid cap. He threw it to that guy because he knew he was into it. But yea, trying to do FIBUA with simunition whilst crunching BB's going upstairs isnt fun because man, those things hurt! 

Personally I couldn't give a monkey's whether or not another player is in the forces or a veteran. The only exception to this is if they start acting like they think they're General Montgomery ordering others about, or if they think their service automatically makes them better than others.

Thankfully this sort are a very small minority. On the other hand, many cadets I've come across are exactly like that

58 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

that was an asshole, if the site didn't at the very least kick him off the field for that (or better yet permanently ban him) then i'd be getting my money back and walking.

Sadly the owner knew him and didn't really pursue it, he got a slap on the wrist basically, I didn't know much at the time and really enjoyed the rest of it so let it slide but was always wary of him. a few weekends later he got a more formal telling off for something similar and the ref basically ziptied his cylinder at a set pressure stopping him and told him if those zip ties were broken at any point till the end of the day he'd be off and banned

Uuurgh the term “veteran”, how I despise that Americanism.

ive never met an ex servicemen/ex military who used that term. Maybe it’s become an acceptable term now but hearing it still makes me shudder and suspect that the person describing themselves as such may not actually be one. But maybe it’s just me

• Supporters
5 minutes ago, DoooomRider said:

Sadly the owner knew him and didn't really pursue it, he got a slap on the wrist basically, I didn't know much at the time and really enjoyed the rest of it so let it slide but was always wary of him. a few weekends later he got a more formal telling off for something similar and the ref basically ziptied his cylinder at a set pressure stopping him and told him if those zip ties were broken at any point till the end of the day he'd be off and banned

in that case doubly would i be walking and never coming back. ignorance can be excused on the one-off but willful favoritism? nope.

sites should be cable tying hpa regs as a standard part of chrono, but the only time it's ever been done to me was when i voluntarily did it myself to show the marshalls that it was a thing you could do.

The site I attended has several hpa users including some of the Marshall’s. Regulator zip ties and a lower FPS limit to account for joule creep mean nobody gets away with it, including in game chrono when the inevitable complaints about a sub 1j hpa rif hits with a .32 bb arise 

10 minutes ago, osteoshot said:

Uuurgh the term “veteran”, how I despise that Americanism.

ive never met an ex servicemen/ex military who used that term. Maybe it’s become an acceptable term now but hearing it still makes me shudder and suspect that the person describing themselves as such may not actually be one. But maybe it’s just me

Guys like uncle Albert - Only when they talk about ops and deployment, ask them - what was for scoff on Wednesdays? Where'd you get your hair cut? lol 

396fc3be1b652f19810ef745328dae34--most-famous-quotes-only-fools-and-horses.jpg

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.