Confused About Legally Owning an Airsoft Gun

toooldforthis

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Sorry if this has been covered multiple times before but I'm struggling to find information about the legality of owning or possessing, not buying, an old black airsoft gun in the UK. I'm a 40 something guy and used to use one for target practice on private land. Never been a member of any group. It's locked in a box and buried in a junk room where it's been for the last couple of decades. Occasionally something reminds me it still exists, like today. I'm not really interested in such things anymore but wouldn't want to throw it away and selling it certainly sounds problematic so is it legal to just leave it alone? Maybe keep it for my children when they're old/wise enough, if it still works after all that time. Thank you.

perfectly legal to own a black airsoft gun its buying or selling it that u would need a ukara defence for is what i understand anyway of the rules,as im in same boat 2 black rifles no ukara

• Supporters

you can sell it on here, you just need to make sure whoever's buying it has a defence.

the defence technically speaking is being an airsofter, but the most common/well recognised way of proving that is the UKARA scheme. there are other defences such as film/media or re-enacement although i'm not so up on the specifics of those.

of course a lot of folks are going to be having expired ukara's at the minute thanks to COVID.

a side option is just keep it, maybe think about going for a game when we get let out to play, it's a fun hobby.

• Supporters

if you think you're too old to play you aint, find an outdoor site, park yourself in a hedge and let the young ones come to you, all that running about means they'll only be tired when you shoot them :P

otherwise the main thing is to be sensible, joe bloggs spots someone messing around with a gun shaped object it's gonna be awkward questions wether you're a regular player with an up to date ukara or not.

18 minutes ago, toooldforthis said:

That's pretty much what I was hoping, to just keep it, but I can't see myself playing now. How then would I or my children be covered if I gave it to them but wasn't a member of a group myself? Or wouldn't that matter when they're over 18?

Gifting is fine. It's an offence to import, manufacture or sell a realistic imitation firearm, without the end user having a defence.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/38/part/2/crossheading/imitation-firearms

If its been unused for that long it probably won't work properly as the hop and seals have likely dried out.  I hope you haven't left the battery in it.

To be clear for anyone else who comes across this thread:

- If you already have a black/tan airsoft gun or "Realistic Imitation Firearm" (RIF) then its perfectly legal to keep and you can go to any airsoft site to play with it. No questions asked

- You can gift it to anyone with no age limit. (Authorities may come back to you if its used illegally or involved in an accident/incident)

- You can sell it to anyone over 18 but its your responsibility to be sure it will be used legally.  (Shops do this by asking for UKARA membership)

- You can use it on your private land (garden) but BB's must not leave that boundary.

Always be aware that anyone who see's a RIF may call the Police so best to let neighbors know of your hobby or keep RIFs hidden from view.

Even though you can legally own them, if the Police are called they may confiscate any RIFs to be checked.  You'll probably get them back but may not be in the same condition.

Hi @toooldforthis

+1 on @Adolf Hamster's comments.You certainly are not too old to get into it. I got a good few years on you but still play.

Like @Adolf Hamster says park up and pick 'em off.

Get that golden oldie out of storage and join the fray lol😉👍

Regards 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.