Ze Quest for the Perfect Sniper Backpack!

Skara

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Herro bois,

I'm on the hunt for a new backpack with the following requests/features/limitations:

• needs to carry a 3L bladder (I have a Source WXP 3L bladder, I'm getting a 2L one too but it's for my other packs);
  • just a tiny bit of molle space, preferably on the sides, for a radio pouch and a foldable dump pouch;
  • doesn't need to be fancy, it'll be covered in spray paint and cotton/haloscreen/loops for vegetation;
  • decent padded shoulder straps, they'll have to bear the weight of a mk23, sternum strap is welcome but not a necessity as I have a couple of spares;
  • overall capacity isn't important, apart from a bladder, a gas bottle and a radio it'll have to carry just a spare eyepro set and my car keys;
  • preferably cheap

I already have what I consider to be a pretty fine backpack for the task, but it's also super comfortable for daily hikes and I'd like to keep it for that purpose.

I'd like to avoid "airsoft" stuff as most of the times it's super flimsy stuff and you're overpaying to begin with, surplus would be better as it's much stronger and can be bought for dirt cheap, so fuck off with any Viper/TMC/Emerson POS, I'm not paying €50+ for something that's worth less than half.

Any suggestions?

• Supporters

911 make a carbine backpack, I've got one in tan that I've not had the chance to use yet, lol wanted od but managed to order the wrong one 🤬, but for the money the quality looks good.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/9-11-Tactical-Molle-Backpack-Bergen-Long-Gun-Sniper-Rifle-concealing-Rucksack-/173618318239

• Supporters

The Pentagon Hydration 2 is pretty decent if you can find one in stock somewhere https://www.military1st.co.uk/k16008-50-pentagon-hydration-2-0-backpack-pentacamo.html

The straps are pretty comfy and it has a small utility pouch with outer MOLLE. I have one and have run it all day with no comfort issues. It's also pretty low profile so should be good for sneaky shenanigans!

20 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

kinda sounds like it's a job for a second X-access?

I thought about buying a second one (in green) and use the one I already have (in that weird pattern), but I was wondering what other offerings were out there!

20 hours ago, Tackle said:

911 make a carbine backpack, I've got one in tan that I've not had the chance to use yet, lol wanted od but managed to order the wrong one 🤬, but for the money the quality looks good.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/9-11-Tactical-Molle-Backpack-Bergen-Long-Gun-Sniper-Rifle-concealing-Rucksack-/173618318239

Ehm, wrong bag :D I'm not looking for something to carry my rifle in :(

18 hours ago, Jacket said:

Camelbak MULE if you can find a cheap used one?

Tried looking for one but the cheapest I could find was €120 or something, a bit out of my league for something that'll get trashed to shit

2 hours ago, Lozart said:

The Pentagon Hydration 2 is pretty decent if you can find one in stock somewhere https://www.military1st.co.uk/k16008-50-pentagon-hydration-2-0-backpack-pentacamo.html

The straps are pretty comfy and it has a small utility pouch with outer MOLLE. I have one and have run it all day with no comfort issues. It's also pretty low profile so should be good for sneaky shenanigans!

This looks interesting!

What size bladder? does it comfortably hold a huge ass Source 3L one?

7 minutes ago, Lozart said:

Can't be used standalone :(

• Supporters
10 minutes ago, Lozart said:

I've got one on my warrior dar, it really is only a bladder pouch with a little bit of molle for a gp/utility pouch, definitely low profile but no carrying capacity.

To be fair I bought it because of that, means I can comfortably wear a Bergen over it .

3 minutes ago, Skara said:

Ehm, wrong bag :D I'm not looking for something to carry my rifle in :(

The rifle pocket folds away so not an issue (but handy if needs change🤔)

11 minutes ago, Tackle said:

The rifle pocket folds away so not an issue (but handy if needs change🤔)

True, but the pack itself is huge 😮

It's at least 30 to 40 litres, whereas I need 5/10 at most (bulkiest items are a 3L water bladder and a can of gas).

Also my current Decathlon pack has a built in rifle "pocket", if I even need to I can use that one instead.

• Supporters
28 minutes ago, Skara said:

True, but the pack itself is huge 😮

It's at least 30 to 40 litres, whereas I need 5/10 at most (bulkiest items are a 3L water bladder and a can of gas).

Also my current Decathlon pack has a built in rifle "pocket", if I even need to I can use that one instead.

My bad, there's a shitload of Chinese knockoffs on eBay etc, prob for less than 20 quid, only issue might be to find something with a big enough pocket for a 3 litre bladder, then pack size is usually comparibly larger, only exceptions are usually civvy oriented kit, which tend to be made in colours unsuitable for tactical use.

What are you like with a needle and thread ?, I ask as a cheap option might be a surplus issued standalone unit, such as a Brit issued mtp camelback, & then tack a large utility pouch to it, or maybe thread it through the D rings usually on the sides.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Skara said:

This looks interesting!

What size bladder? does it comfortably hold a huge ass Source 3L one?

It comes with a 2.5L bladder but I reckon you could get a 3L in there. There's some on ebay going for about £35 (shipping from Warsaw)

G4Free Outdoor Lightweight Small Tactical Sling Backpack Military Daypack Assault Shoulder One Strap Sling Molle Chest Pack for Camping Hiking Trekking https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B083Q4JBDM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_tCfeGb8SAPE2X

left field suggestion; a single strap bag? 

I have never been a sniper nor any intention of taking that role but the ability to slip it off easily might be a benefit? 

To be honest though I put ‘small military rucksack’ into Amazon and there are a lot of options under £25 that look pretty viable and are well reviewed. 

Alternatively, you can’t go wrong with a camelback rucksack. An RAF NCO *donated one to me about 10 years ago and I have used it for every holiday/walk/game/deployment since and you would never know other than one slightly sticky internal zip. 

*he left it onboard the Ship along with a buffalo jacket after embarrassing himself trying to keep up on the rum and never had the nerve to come back and claim it. 

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Lozart said:

There's some on ebay going for about £35 (shipping from Warsaw)

He's ok as he's eu, it's only us Brits they hate at the mo 😭

16 minutes ago, Tackle said:

He's ok as he's eu, it's only us Brits they hate at the mo 😭

Feeling's mutual btw, I was looking at some UK based items on eBay, now it's cheaper to enslave a town in Asia and get them to actually make me the item -.-

'cking brexit really.

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Skara said:

Feeling's mutual btw, I was looking at some UK based items on eBay, now it's cheaper to enslave a town in Asia and get them to actually make me the item -.-

'cking brexit really.

you're missing an opportunity here, you can be a middleman for folk wanting to order from shops that wont ship to the uk :P

Shit, for a good 4 minutes I thought I could get a guarder MAP for €25 posted...

But the seller had already sold it and forgot to update the ad 😭😭

I feel I need to make my obligatory "Warrior Assault Systems am bestest" post

https://www.uktactical.com/p-8706-warrior-cargo-pack-olive-drab.aspx

Not sure if it can take a 3L hydration bladder as I use a canteen instead in mine, but this is a fantastic pack that is lightweight but very sturdily built.

https://www.tasmaniantiger.info/en/product/tt-essential-pack-mkii-backpack-9l/

Just found this, it seems to fit the bill for my needs and if it doesn't, I guess I found a new daypack (as if I didn't have 300 packs already) :D

It's right on the upper end on my budget although I found it on Amazon for €40 posted (about 20 to 25 € cheaper than elsewhere), so it's cheap enough to not really cry when spraying it.

what do you guys think?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.