Could You Add Art on Top of Two Tone If?

Dreadpool77

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So I have owned a few two tones for back garden plinking and I'm considering joining a local shooting club after the virus is away enough for proper socializing. I've recently ordered a new co2 pistol and was wondering if I'd be breaking any laws if I put a stencil art of, for example a Mandolorian symbol, on an already 2 tone IF

11 minutes ago, Dreadpool77 said:

So I have owned a few two tones for back garden plinking and I'm considering joining a local shooting club after the virus is away enough for proper socializing. I've recently ordered a new co2 pistol and was wondering if I'd be breaking any laws if I put a stencil art of, for example a Mandolorian symbol, on an already 2 tone IF

Under original drafts it was an explicit offence to repaint.

Under the active legislation the offence would be modifying the IF into a RIF

As long as it remains >50% in specified bright colours it’s still an IF

14 minutes ago, Tommikka said:

Under original drafts it was an explicit offence to repaint.

Under the active legislation the offence would be modifying the IF into a RIF

As long as it remains >50% in specified bright colours it’s still an IF

So for a bit more clarity, I could put bright red on top of bright green? Or any two given bright colours? Thanks for the answer by the way, helps a lot! 🙂

1 hour ago, Dreadpool77 said:

Honestly, not legally.

You can do what ever you want to your RIF. Spray it black, tan, MC or stencil the Mona Lisa on it. It's yours.
Unless you do it in front of a cop or video it and throw it on youtube. No one is going to know or care. 

There is no database on two tones, there isn't even a database for RIF's. 

So do what you want with it, just don't be a cunt with it making airsoft look bad and 

• Supporters
47 minutes ago, Groot said:

fucking tuuuuune

anyway, i vaguely recall wasnt there one of the higher end painters doing 2-tones done up as sci-fi guns? making stuff look like it came straight out of borderlands? as i recall they looked pretty tasty to the point that you'd want one even if you had ukara.

5 hours ago, Dreadpool77 said:

So for a bit more clarity, I could put bright red on top of bright green? Or any two given bright colours? Thanks for the answer by the way, helps a lot! 🙂

The relevant part of the legislation would be Section 36.1b

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/38/part/2/crossheading/imitation-firearms

36Manufacture, import and sale of realistic imitation firearms

(1)A person is guilty of an offence if—

(a)he manufactures a realistic imitation firearm;

(b)he modifies an imitation firearm so that it becomes a realistic imitation firearm;

(c)he sells a realistic imitation firearm; or

(d)he brings a realistic imitation firearm into Great Britain or causes one to be brought into Great Britain.

If your intent was to play airsoft then it would be potentially legal to paint it into a RIF, as your intent isn't that then you don't have a 'defence' under the act.

(Though as mentioned above, if nobody knows or cares then you don't get caught - but on a strict legal basis 'getting away with it' doesn't equal 'legal') 

'

However you aren't trying to change a two tone IF into a RIF, you just want to add a logo.

If you use a bright colour under the VCRA then you have not changed its status.  But nobody would worry if you added the logo in black.

To remain fully VCRA IF compliant you should leave at least half of it in a bright colour, depending on how it is from new there are many 'two tones' that aren't truly VCRA IF compliant.  For example a pistols upper/slide is painted the bright colour and the lower & grip are black.

IF colours are here in section 7.2:

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2007/2606/made

(2) The colours specified in this paragraph are—

(a)bright red;

(b)bright orange;

(c)bright yellow;

(d)bright green;

(e)bright pink;

(f)bright purple; and

(g)bright blue.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.