Airsoft Apathy (First World Problem Content)

Speedbird_666

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

TDLR summary:

- Got Promoted at work today

- Got an unexpected bonus

- My Missus said 'why don't you use £500 for a new airsoft toy' (seriously - no joke)

- First time said permission has been granted to purchase anything over £100 in nearly a decade for 'toys' (her words).

- Should be jumping and down with joy at the thought of buying a higher-end blaster (all of my modest collection are sub-£150 cheapos, but they work great TBH)

So I start looking, and things go downhill from there:

- TM NGRS - a chance to finally join the master race! Then I look at the 'basic' upgrades required. Money Pits. Nope.

- ASG Scorpion - Something different. But wankery with new mags, can't be arsed.

- Kriss Vector - An normal AEG stuffed into an abnormal shape, with the added wankery of new mags and a stupid price tag. Moving swiftly on.

- Krytac guns - look cool. *Goes to watch some Negative Airsoft's Videos*. Nah, I'm good thanks.

- KWA - not seeing how they are any better than other M4s or PCC types on the market.

- Sig MCX Virtus - remembered that they are made by VFC *Checks Negative Airsoft again*, 'nuff said.

- HPA setup - Remembers the 'joy' of gas bottles, scuba tanks, filling stations and Hydrostatic testing from my paintball days. *Sigh*

- GBB Rifles - good for about 3 months a year (OK - slightly exaggerating). But I'm not paying £50-odd quid for a 30rd mag.

So what am I left with? a sea of unremarkable M4s, uninteresting and over-priced PCC types, a few LCT AKs that only partially float my boat and the usual niche guns that really only suit those who want a specific loadout or match a video game but in reality are a bit shit to live with.

There is nothing that really excites me anymore.

First world problems I know - I think I'll go back to looking at cheapo CYMAs and use the money when PS5s are available for sale again.

No point to this thread - congrats if you read this far. #Apathy

Ha ha you need to be more adventurous.

MWS used with a few mags will set you back £500, and you will have zero issues all year round with the right gas for the temperature. 
It’s is only an M4, but it is a fabulous M4

Easy solution..... give me the £500 and I'll buy another TM NGRS..... lol

I know this is pot calling kettle black but you don't need to put a shed load of upgrades into a new TM recoil... All you need is a M95 spring from eagle 6 and the TM SOPMOD spanner. A Philips screwdriver and that's actually it.... Oh some good silicon lube too and bobs your uncle.... That's cost a mighty £10 for the spring and £20'ish for the spanner..... That will pump you up to 330fps-340fps....

The Marui spring is literally screwed into the piston head. It simple to change and you can refuse the same piston. I'd also change the air nozzle at the same time though for one with an internal O ring... so an extra £15 (lonex). That will increase you fps by a tad more.... And if yo fancy a purple prommy rubber... why not....

Fire support do a NGRS SOCOM for £363!!!! Yup £363... It's a no brainer.... ;)

Definitely a pretty unique situation (though I can't relate to the whole 'needing partners permission thing'), I dare say that the fact you have permission takes half the fun out of it. But with that aside, perhaps you've reached the chosen land that so few of us ever reach, you're simply happy with what you have and don't feel like you need anything else. Which leads to the question of am I actually just content with what I have, or have I grown bored of that side of the hobby... escalating to is the hobby still for me.

Lockdown and the inability to play has my brain doing an extremely irritating dance of trying to figure out what it is I actually want out of my RIFs, if you're truly just at a point where you're content I envy you to no end!

@AlphaBear It's a slippery slope though - first it will be 'just' a spring, then new gears, a Titan and then a plethora of Prommy parts. Forget Covid, TM Upgrade-itus is real and symptoms start as soon as you open the damned box - your bank balance will have a 99.9% mortality rate. And just as soon as finished with one gun...you will hear a calling....'buy a TM SCAR'....then it all starts again.....😜

49 minutes ago, alxndrhll said:

I dare say that the fact you have permission takes half the fun out of it.

Nail on head I think.

I also feel guilty for thinking about spending so much money.

That is, until I found this in UK stock:

image.png.6fcd3d53f090792271e957122f4773fd.png

Yes, yes, it's another AR. But its a sort-of M653/M733 Fixed carry-handle AR with proper slim hand guards. Made by E&C so the gearbox will be decent and only half my budget. Old Skool is cool again, right?

19 minutes ago, Hamisakim said:

if you're happy with your rifs start getting into gucci gear. that'll eat up £500 in good time. 

As a slightly...*ahem*...'portly' gentleman, me dressing up like a Seal Team 6 'operator' would be somewhat akin to lipstick on a pig.

We so often end up in a situations where we justify luxury spending that 'because I want it' doesn't feel like enough. My spending pattern is definitely more 'see something I want/like, can I afford it?' versus 'I have x amount of spare money, what can I spend it on'.

If you've found something that takes your fancy that's ace, but don't force it would be my advice. With any luck the money isn't going anywhere, just enjoy the process of trawling through stuff knowing the funds are there if something catches your fancy 🤷‍♂️.

I've definitely fallen into the trap throughout the various lockdowns and tier changes of spending money on crap I don't need to try and cheer myself up a bit, the way you've prefaced this would imply you don't get the opportunity. Sounds like you've earned that money, and congratulations on the promotion... now make sure you make the most of it :).

• Supporters

perhaps a bit of patience might be called for here, we're all in lockdown and we aren't allowed out to play so it's gonna be hard to get excited over buying new things.

keep it stashed, start mooching around the classifieds, and by the time we're let out to play it won't be hard to sink £500 on something shiny.

• Supporters

Sound advice given already

Congrats on promotion

Well done on getting bonus & recognition

& sounds like you got a level headed missus too

as been mentioned, one thing we've all found out, shiney shit means nowt

if you can't get out & play with it/show it off etc...

this lockdown has demonstrated just how materialistic crap is in our life at times

9 hours ago, Speedbird_666 said:

all of my modest collection are sub-£150 cheapos, but they work great TBH

so no need to let that dosh burn a hole in ya pocket - just yet

ya got guns that work, you got a job with a promotion

and you gotta a woman who understands/accepts (of a sort) she married a big kid

plenty to be pleased about without blowing the dosh just yet

congrats again sir

Good problems to have, congrats on promotion/payrise. I love that you are content with your collection.

I understand where you are coming from, the 'i spent £150 on these, do I need to spend £500 on that...is it really going to be better/more enjoyable to use?' 

To echo above, wait. Also being able to get into a shop and handle perspective toys will (for me) be a big part of the joy. You do have a couple of ideas as you mentioned, when you can get into a store have fun.

As others said, don't feel like it's burning a hole in your pocket. Just be content in the knowledge that there's a guilt-free purchase at some point in your future. I'm actually tempted to buy a KWA RM4 T10 as had one of their ERG range before and preferred it (or at least the recoil element) to my NGRS. Overall it was excellent stock, the mistake I made was messing with it. I can't say I'm overly interested in the design the new one though as it's very much generic M4 with a M-LOK handguard, in that respect I preferred the RM4 SR10 I had but they seem difficult to find now.

• Supporters

Yep, as been said, sit on the money, watch the classifieds for what you REALLY want & if a good sorted package comes up from a seller with an excellent reputation, job done.

Simples

1 hour ago, Jaylordofwaargh said:

I understand where you are coming from, the 'i spent £150 on these, do I need to spend £500 on that...is it really going to be better/more enjoyable to use?'

Yeh - that's a big part of it I think.

I think I'm starting to see guns more as tools rather then collectors items these days. If my £150 budget blaster can hold it's own in a normal skirmish day, why pay more I suppose? Don't get me wrong, I totally understand the allure of having a gun the feel more real with bolt stops and recoil etc. I get why people want Titans and other fancy electronics. But I'm struggling to justify the cost, even though I'm in a very fortunate position right now and got my permission slip signed by my long-suffering wife.

Maybe it's just Lockdown Malaise, taking a slightly nihilistic 'what's the point?' view of the world at the moment.

Thanks all, like many of you have said I just need to pull my head out of my arse and not rush into anything. I'll take my time and see if anything takes my fancy. I think I'll also get myself to my nearest Airsoft showroom (sadly, it's Z1, but it's a nice, well-stocked showroom nonetheless) and have a fondle when they reopen.

I get this as well. I went to a skirmish shortly before everything shutdown again using my £600 worth of upgraded Scorpion Evo, whilst I lent my friend a £100 Double Eagle Honey Badger that I'd kitted with a £14 ZCI barrel plus maple leaf bucking I already had lying around. My gun crapped out (ARL spring broke, now sorted) almost immediately and he had a great, problem free day with the far cheaper gun. I definitely started to question the value of a not-so-cheap base gun plus upgrades etc.

Also I think a problem especially with the more "mature" of us, is we can do what we like,  with no parents to convince and jobs that allow us the luxury of spending on toys etc, we value them less. Imagine how excited you'd feel if you didn't have any or only a rubbish gun and you'd worked hard at your paper round or whatever just to save up. 

You don't sound so much apathetic as you do content - and that's fine. We all love our replicas but I'd suggest if you have to spend £500 on airsoft, keep it in the bank and arrange some excursions to new sites and use the cash to cover fuel and accommodation. Or spank it on pyro. 

congrats on promotion and pay rise, and great that you have an understanding wife.

hopefully you will get the chance to visit an airsoft shop when they reopen and can find something you like,  be that a gun, some gear or as @GeorgePlaysAirsoft suggested...  pyro.

i did see mention of funding a trip out to a different site to normal, and this is also a good option to consider 😃

starting with this months pay pack, i will be siphoning off a small amount of money each month to try and fund some visits to distant sites and pyro costs... (found TAG hand grenades, and fell in love with the loud, yellow bastards)

17 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

we're all in lockdown and we aren't allowed out to play so it's gonna be hard to get excited over buying new things.

lol, speak for yourself Adolf...   i got excited enough to splash out a massive chunk of change (that i didn't really have to spend...  oops) on a Tippmann m4v2 and some bits to bolt onto it whilst being locked down....  =P

but i am definitely looking forward to getting out to play again.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.