do I Need a Sidearm.

DRay

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So we are in lockdown, no one can play airsoft and the closest you can get is room clearing the landing while you wife is out of the house. 

I have just acquired an ‘as new’ SA RRK E07. Bought the obligatory set of 3 high cap M4 mags, two new batteries for it, single point sling etc. 

I have never played with a sidearm (although have carried one many times in a professional capacity). I want one. But do I NEED one? Does it dramatically enhance your enjoyment/how steely you feel/how effective you are? 

And if we decide that I do need one (given the audience I strongly suspect the answer will be ‘carry another weapon!’) which one? G17 RIF or a Brownie seems the logical choice given that is what I have had issued to me. Other than that I can’t claim to know much about them other than I know that whilst I think a chrome snub nosed Colt is very pretty it isn’t very practical for someone who regularly gets through 1500 rounds in a morning without trying. 

Thoughts? 

I'd say 'no' you don't NEED one. Not straight away.

Depends on your game site really.  If there are elements of CQB the SA-E07 is at the limit of useable so if you want to get in there then a pistol would be handy.

Pistols are fun because of the realistic action but they are an extra thing to worry about getting ready for a game.  Not a big deal but keep in mind.

Have a few games to get a feel for it then you'll be able to make a more informed decision.  You'll get to see (and try) a few that people use.

Unfortunately I have to advise to stay away from the Brownies as they're the worst pistols WE make 😩 (extra sad because the MK3 is my fave pistol of all time)

Id say Running a regular carbine, a sidearm is entirely unnecessary. It is necesarry in other circumstances such as running a sniper rifle or in my case running a machinegun which is both too unwieldy to clear rooms with and more likely to jam through sheer volume of shots. (also its banned to clear buildings with full auto only replicas in a lot of places) However. When approaching airsoft its best not to think of necesarry or unnessecary. Running a good sidearm is a lot of fun. (like me running my revolvers. They are far from the most effective but are a lot of fun) Pulling your pistol and getting someone when your rifle runs out of ammo feels great. It is a lot of fun to mess around with a pistol. 

Similar to what EDcase said though it is not necesarry to enjoy airsoft, its just a fun little extra. Dont worry about it until you have been playing for a while longer. Id also say stay away from the we pistols in general. They are hit and miss. Army armament do good glock 17s for cheaper than we and theirs are 100% compatible with tokyo marui parts and of a similar quality to we. For browning high powers the only good option is the tanaka which is both discontinued and £250+ when you do find one.

That is a shame that there is no viable Brownie option (I feel like a manufacturer should address that because - aside from the slide taking the skin off your thumb webbing every time you make it ready - it was a truly brilliant service 9mm). 

I’ll hold off on the side arm then for now. 

22 minutes ago, EDcase said:

Depends on your game site really.  If there are elements of CQB the SA-E07 is at the limit of useable so if you want to get in there then a pistol would be handy.

I would agree about E07 being the limit of usable length for CQB other than that I am 6’5 and with the stock retracted it looks pretty small in my arms! I played with a firehawk in a couple of games and it looked ridiculous! 

Yeah its a very strange omission from the many manufacturers considering how ubiquitous it was.

Most things available are endless versions of 1911's and Glocks 🙄

If you're going to be playing at a woodland site then a sidearm isn't really needed. If you're playing cqb then the faster trigger response and small size they can be very useful. 

However, they're really fun to use and landing a pistol shot can be very satisfying. Like many things in this hobby what works for one may not work for another, so you'll have a better idea of what you want after a couple of games

9 minutes ago, AlphaBear said:

This works great for me as a side arm. Great for room clearing.  Just saying. 

image.jpeg.e7c3813a5f63cad65f786508f98ff07a.jpeg

I'd rather one of these. You don't have to worry about clearing a building if it's not there anymore 😁

bombing_run.jpg

Hi @DRay! 👋

Like mentioned above, it’s up to you?

Can be used for both CQB and Woodland.

Check out your favourite and compare reviews on YouTube? 

Gas, green gas or CO2?

Brands, go with Tokyo Marui’s, WE, not sure about the rest?
Mags size, slim mags can be tricky with gas (finishing a full mag), regular mags always the best, extended mags can be hit and miss, just my opinion and experience! 

Hope this helps? 🤔👍

💷GAMBLE💷

Team,

Really appreciate all the responses, lots of food for thought. There is a CQB place in Portsmouth in the WW2 tunnels under a fort that I am dying to try once lockdown ends. 

I think I’ll use that as decision point for whether to get a sidearm; if the carbine feels like running round with a musket I’ll have a look for a second hand GBB

Hopefully the opportunity to borrow one for a game if someone has an extra 9mm in the safe zone will present itself at some point. 

Dan

I sometimes run with two. We m9 in chest holster and tm p226 on hip or drop leg.

Never really use em but they are there just in case😉

Regards 

Of course you need a side arm

who doesn’t like carrying more than one pew pew

i have found myself getting quite close to opposition in clearing the village type games, or storming the base scenarios, so I do end up well within aeg minimum engagement distances.

that being said, I just bought a Mk23  as they are awesome and should out range my Krytac 😂

you will also suddenly find a need for BFG’s , that’s another story

enjoy your side arm shopping 

they are awesome fun 

Need absolutely not even if you were a sniper with a MEP and MP5K would be the best choice of back up. bug good god GBB pistols are so much fun and can be effective even in would land but especially in CQB. So yes get a pistol  and get a Tokyo Marui.

26 minutes ago, Enid_Puceflange said:

you will also suddenly find a need for BFG’s 

I have never seen the sense in spending 80 pounds on something that you throw on to concrete! They are beautifully made with a lovely machined finish and people hurl them on to hard,rough ground.wtf?

Sometimes they dont even go off and then you have to back track to locate them and hope they are still where they landed. I have known them to have mysteriously disappeared into the nth dimension when the owners have gone to collect them!??

Waste of coin in my opinion.

🖖

Live long and prosper.

Regards 

On 20/01/2021 at 20:58, Shamal said:

I have never seen the sense in spending 80 pounds on something that you throw on to concrete! They are beautifully made with a lovely machined finish and people hurl them on to hard,rough ground.wtf?

Sometimes they dont even go off and then you have to back track to locate them and hope they are still where they landed. I have known them to have mysteriously disappeared into the nth dimension when the owners have gone to collect them!??

🖖

Live long and prosper.

Regards 

there are more than just impact grenades

try looking up timed grenades, I use Dynatex timed

great in the woods 👍

apologies to OP , I have taken this off topic

Edited by Enid_Puceflange

18 minutes ago, Shamal said:

🖖

Live long and prosper.

Regards 

As Enid said,  I've used a timed Dynatex BFG to good effect though a window.  Its great hearing the panic on the other side before the bang 😁

Of course there's the other definition of BFG...

Spoiler

BIG FUCKING GUN 😆

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.