Space Force !

Druid799

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Well just when you think all the shits’n’giggles are coming to an end as general bonespurs leaves the White House something else pops up TO make you laugh one of those WTF ! Laughs .

Gentlemen (and the one or two ladies on here) I present to you the KA-BAR SPACE-BAR ! 😳

i shit you not this is real ! it’s one of the last Military things the trump administration authorized , a combat/utility knife for SPACE FORCE ! (They earned the exclamation mark just for existing) Now one would think you wouldn’t want sharp pointy tarey things near your space suit ? But hay it’s the trumpa lumpa’s SPACE FORCE ! So they can have WHAT EVER they want !🤣🤣🤣🤣

A07DA5A2-EE85-4210-B286-A94EBD04A625.jpeg

Well the Trump era lead to the replacement of the M9. Will the Biden era lead to a replacement of the M4?

As regards the knife, not bad looking if a bit simunition like. Would happily use one as a letter opener. 

• Supporters
5 hours ago, DerDer said:

Will the Biden era lead to a replacement of the M4?

Phase plasma rifle in the 40watt range ? 
we can hope .

• Supporters

what was wrong with the existing knife?

space suits tend to have a lot of kevlar in them anyway to prevent from precisely the problem of punctures from sharp objects so any knife isn't really going to be a massive help.

so that leaves internal/ground landing use and in both situations a regular pokeymajig will do the job.

• Supporters
41 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

what was wrong with the existing knife?

space suits tend to have a lot of kevlar in them anyway to prevent from precisely the problem of punctures from sharp objects so any knife isn't really going to be a massive help.

so that leaves internal/ground landing use and in both situations a regular pokeymajig will do the job.

I suspect it was more about them having something iconic to represent being a member of space force, hence it being a ka-bar, another iconic & prestigious brand, it was probably never intended for active service, more a display piece for the desks of high wanking do nothing officers 😏

• Supporters
11 minutes ago, Tackle said:

I suspect it was more about them having something iconic to represent being a member of space force, hence it being a ka-bar, another iconic & prestigious brand, it was probably never intended for active service, more a display piece for the desks of high wanking do nothing officers 😏

that does make sense.

remember seeing a thing about guns in space and it's interesting that for the most part they just straight up work without modification. there's supposedly issues with oil boiling off and long-term diffusion welding the parts together but can't imagine that'd be any more of a servicing challenge than you'd get on earth (eg rust, dust, sand etc)

They're replacing the M4 and saw. Currently undergoing trials. 

If you were to shoot a rifle in space the recoil would send you flying in the other direction 😂 

• Supporters
2 minutes ago, Hamisakim said:

They're replacing the M4 and saw. Currently undergoing trials. 

i'm guessing the trials result in "nope, nothing out there that offers enough to merit the replacement"

4 minutes ago, Hamisakim said:

If you were to shoot a rifle in space the recoil would send you flying in the other direction 😂 

true, although one would assume they'd be using an rcs pack which would compensate.

although i don't think they were really planning on actually fighting in space, it was more an xcom halo drop anywhere in the world kind of deal.

couldn't see it having much future, it's a lot of time, effort and expense to sustain when they could just build a couple of extra carriers.

I don't know, The Next Generation Squad Weapons (NGSW) Program appears to be in full swing with Sig, General Dynamics and Textron Systems all gunning for the program to replace the M4 and M249.  It seems a transition to the beefier 6.8mm round is inevitable considering the need to defeat actual body armour from conventional, near peer enemy forces the US is likely to encounter should it get into it with China, Russia etc.  My money is on Sig at this point.  They seem to be absolutely smashing it when it comes to small arms development.

As for the Space Force, the next significant war will see space playing a key role with TITAN, space and high altitude, aerial and terrestrial layer sensors for target nomination direct to fire command and control networks.  There is a whole lot going on up there that the average person doesn't know about.  It's not about people fighting in space with railguns or lasers or whatever.  It's about infrastructure that will tip the balance of a battle/war.

Space Force is just a ‘new’ part of Space Command, which has been around for nearly 40 years.

This isn’t about floating around in space having 007s moon raker style battles, it could end up more like RAF regiment operating gate barriers

"Some of this comes from officials, including the U.S. vice president," he said. "Even if the adults in the room understand this is mainly about satellites, everybody assumes that a Space Force is going to be an armed force. To suggest otherwise would get you laughed out of the room." 

https://www.space.com/united-states-space-force-next-steps.html

https://www.spaceforce.mil/About-Us/About-Space-Force/History/

• Supporters
9 hours ago, Tackle said:

I wish that was true BUT I’m afraid that’ll be a nope , apparently it really is gong to be issued to all members as a general utility knife in this form ! 🤦‍♂️

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporters

AND there’s more to add to the list of whatthefuckery !

a KA-BAR folding knife and a ‘tactical Pri-bar’ (how do you have a tactical pri-bar , in space ???) 😳

E7E07D2A-6248-4D12-8D5B-F6F7D54956FE.jpeg

• Supporters

Just what you need when your on a space walk repairing something on the International Space Station, a clumsy old pry bar........🤣

It's not even got a decent curved end to give a bit more leverage FFS, if I went in to a tool store & asked for a pry bar & was offered that I'd laugh in their face, I wouldn't give em a tenner for it.

Stupid yanks 🤬

• Supporters

• Supporters
On 23/01/2021 at 16:46, hitmanNo2 said:

I don't know, The Next Generation Squad Weapons (NGSW) Program appears to be in full swing with Sig, General Dynamics and Textron Systems all gunning for the program to replace the M4 and M249.  It seems a transition to the beefier 6.8mm round is inevitable considering the need to defeat actual body armour from conventional, near peer enemy forces the US is likely to encounter should it get into it with China, Russia etc.  My money is on Sig at this point.  They seem to be absolutely smashing it when it comes to small arms development.

Had a fondle of the Sig M249 replacement at the last DSEI show. Is nice.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.