Have You Hpa'd in the Past and Left it Behind?

alxndrhll

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'll have a dig around and see what I can find. Granted options for convenient posting are somewhat limited at present.

Aye, I hadn't realised how much HPA stuff I'd managed to accumilate until I came to listing it all up.

I imagine it'll very much be a case of keeping my eye on the classfieds on the off chance something that takes my fancy pops up.

hi guys - interesting thread.

I've got a stoner 63 which takes a normal v2 gearbox. I'm happy to run it till something goes wrong, but looking forward a bit I've been thinking about/ day dreaming about an HPA set up. As fun as a "wanker gun" would be, ROF isn't my primary consideration, as I suspect the bottleneck would be how quickly the box mags can feed. Accuracy and consistency are both good things, but my main consideration would be how many BB's it can shoot before something goes wrong. I'd be happy with doing - or rather - paying someone else - to fiddle about setting it all up, and point taken that its hardly "plug and play". But would an HPA set up be worth it for the sake of reliability and high volume of fire?

Thanks!!!

20 minutes ago, GeorgePlaysAirsoft said:

hi guys - interesting thread.

I've got a stoner 63 which takes a normal v2 gearbox. I'm happy to run it till something goes wrong, but looking forward a bit I've been thinking about/ day dreaming about an HPA set up. As fun as a "wanker gun" would be, ROF isn't my primary consideration, as I suspect the bottleneck would be how quickly the box mags can feed. Accuracy and consistency are both good things, but my main consideration would be how many BB's it can shoot before something goes wrong. I'd be happy with doing - or rather - paying someone else - to fiddle about setting it all up, and point taken that its hardly "plug and play". But would an HPA set up be worth it for the sake of reliability and high volume of fire?

Thanks!!!

Reliability is such a weirdly subjective term within airsoft. Could I honestly say HPA is, on the whole, more 'reliable' than the various other forms of slinging BBs down a barrel? Anecdotally, for my knowledge of the system I use, yes. But I'll qualify that with the fact that I know how to maintain my kit, and a lot of it comes with the benefit that maintainence is very easy. To a point that if something breaks (9 times out of 10 it'll be an o-ring), assuming I have spares on hand, I could very quickly get it back up and running in a safe zone. I tend to define 'reliability' as 'is it likely I can use this RIF for an entire day of play?'... hence my need to qualify my thoughts.

Much like an AEG or GBB if you look after your kit it'll tend to last longer, but that's not to say typical airsoft QC can't give you differing results from the chap standing next to you with an identical maintaince routine and 'identical' parts.

I've never run a support weapon, but I imagine another large consideration would need to be efficiency when it comes to air consumption. I'd expect a support weapon to churn through much more air than your typical HPA'd AR, which means you'll need to have a proper think about the type and size of tanks you're running alongside the engine you choose to use. Again anecdotally, Polarstar's tend to be more efficient than Wolverine engines. Even more so if you go with a Fusion Engine and slap a lightning banjo in it, but that's certainly not a small expense.

4 minutes ago, alxndrhll said:

snip

thanks for the answer. Agreed - defining reliability isn't as simple as it first appears. Being able to fix a problem in the safe zone would be amazing, but I would be a bit looser and say that if something was to go wrong, I could have it fixed and back ready to play within a month. As it stands I don't have the ability (nor the inclination tbh) to open up, diagnose, and fix problems within a gearbox, and practically speaking a month turn around for airsoft repairs from a third party is...unlikely! The other option I was considering is having a second gearbox to put in whilst the OG is off for repairs...

As for the tanks yes agreed - I have seen a nifty set up involving 2x 68/4500 tanks - do you think that would be sufficient for 1 day of walk on woodland hosing / 24h milsim type set up?

Thanks again

15 minutes ago, GeorgePlaysAirsoft said:

As for the tanks yes agreed - I have seen a nifty set up involving 2x 68/4500 tanks - do you think that would be sufficient for 1 day of walk on woodland hosing / 24h milsim type set up?

Obviously depends on what you wind up needing to have your PSI set to, and just how much hosing you're doing. I've personally never managed to empty a single 48/3000 in a day so I'm struggling to see how you'd be able to churn through a pair of 68/4500s. Not to say you couldn't, but I dread to think what the ammo bill would be if you were to do so 😅.

I will caveat that by saying I run HPA largely due to the ease of maintenance and the ability to set my FPS and have it sit there consistently. I use the MTW because of real steel compatability. I don't make much use of many of the other 'advantages' (read as, stupidly high rate of fire) and predominantly only fire in semi unless the surrounding foliage sees fit that I need to briefly switch.

I believe @Adolf Hamster had a HPA'd MG42 at some point so he may be able to shed more light, but I could be entirely misremembering.

I'll also say I ended up doing a u-turn on my eventual conclusion at the end of this thread.

• Supporters
3 hours ago, GeorgePlaysAirsoft said:

unless you're running true wanker rate of fire (and tbh even if you are) if it's properly maintained (cleaned and greased every now and then) the reliability is much better than an aeg of equivalent performance.

the simpler systems like the polarstar jack are stupidly easy to take apart for servicing although it's not the best system for accuracy.

mate of mine had a fusion engine for 5+ years with zero servicing still perfectly functional.

the only reason i ever took mine apart was to do things like swap poppets/nozzles for setup reasons rather than to fix any problems.

the good thing about rate of fire is if its too fast for the box you just turn it down until the box can feed.

have a read here will give you a better idea of what's involved, fitting an engine is actually pretty easy- it's dialing it in to perfection is hard.

• 4 weeks later...
On 21/01/2021 at 20:27, alxndrhll said:

Appreciate all the thoughts, it's been useful to hear other folks thinking aloud. I've gone through all the pro's and con's and figured out what it is I want out of the hobby from this point forward and have decided to hang up the tanks, lines, regulators and scuba tanks in favour of GBBRs. I think I'm just in a very different place with the hobby from where I was way back when, when HPA was the logical choice. I feel I've given it enough thought and consideration at this point and I keep landing on the same answer, and it's one I'm happy with. Thanks again for the input folks!

P.S. @Davegolf Y'all got any of those nubs left? 😅

dchappele.jpg.121e4dee60914fa07b480149319626cb.jpg

Interesting topic, and I’m glad to see you’ve had the courage of your convictions to go ahead and flog all the HPA gear.  Personally I have a massive downer on the way some HPA users can take the piss when power playing with them, and suffice to say I’ve had bad experiences playing against them on sites that should know better.  Not all bad, but enough to make me groan when I spot a line on a certain type of character.

Anyway, what have you ended up with?  My friend Boomer got me in the MWS platform late last year, and although I was skeptical at first I completely get it now, and I’m a massive advocate.  I have a milsim game coming up where I needed an AK, and after putting a lot of time and effort into fiddling with version 3 gearboxes, I’ve just given up on AEG’s.  I think once you go GBBR, it’s very difficult to go back on the sewing machine.  I’m wondering same applies to your old HPA rigs - is it impossible to go back to AEG’s?

I love my MWS, but I’ve ended up buying a GHK AK74 and put some thought and effort into how I want it.  I’ve successfully done the devil hunter mod on the mags, which was very reasonable at $27 a mag to convert. A pair of 20oz paintball tanks and Madbull converter allow me to run liquid Co2 in the AK mags, and I’m getting 2 or 3 mags full of bb’s per fill, and the mags take 50 bb’s.  And they work fine at really cold temps. The kick and feedback from the gun are tremendous, and it seems almost as accurate as my MWS now I have a Crazyjet hop/bucking/barrel combo on it. 

To me this seems like the ideal middle ground between a intensely boring sewing machine and a soulless brad nail gun.  It also seems like the closest we can get in the UK to owning and enjoying an actual firearm without loads of hassle and tedious range etiquette.  And get this - I’m actually allowed to shoot it at other people at skirmishes.  

I know you tried messing around with 33g Co2 stocks, but have you considered gas in the mag systems?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.