Semi Auto Gas Leaking Mag Fix - Easy Peasy, Maybe....

Tezza

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So buddy's, here we go about my progressively leaking mag, and the fix that I found that worked for me:

My gas pistol mag started leaking a bit and with time then continued to get worsse and became emptied after several days of not even using it.

Not knowing about if there was any fix, I tried to source a good mag or two, but at around £27 a throw best price new, and not being able to source used on the forum I decided to examine the mag to see if I could find the cause.

BTW it really does not matter what gas blowback make/model pistol that I am talking about because I reckon that this sort of a generic tale.

KerPow, what did I find>>>

Well, I held the mag in one hand and tried to charge it with gas and tried to see if I could identify where any leaks might be coming from, and - Hey Presto!

There was a slight gas leakage from between the bottom of the mag which is screwed on, and the body of the mag.

On mine when I took a careful look all over and under the mag I noticed a screw at the bottom next to where the gas filling valve is, and taking a very high grip screwdriver I forced a small amout of extra hard tightening.

No worries if I stripped the thread coz it seemed knackered anyway...

AND THAT FIX WORKED!!!

All has been completely gas tight for a week or so and with only around 25 or so shots being tried out now again to check if it was still gas tight.

Hope this helps some of you guys out there, I guess after a while the meet connection between these parts may simply need a tighten up from time to time.

Stay safe,

Tezza.

Well to be fair it's not something I'd recommend. Overtightening the screw can lead to stripping threads and generally unnecessary stress on the magazine itself. It also won't work with pinned magazines (mk23 ones for example).

Better to take the mag apart and apply silicone grease/oil to the seal (square o-ring) and valve rings.

Do it right, do it once. And it takes 5 minutes.

There are other, more invasive, permanent fixes like sealing the base shut with silicone but they are a last resort kind of operation. To try when the only alternative left is to bin the whole mag.

Good advice, and thanks for that.

I was not advocating 'over-tightening', but a good and a bit of a strong tighten up when after with some use the screw could do with a tighten after settleing in, maybe only less than a quarter turn or whatever might be appropriate.

As said, it worked for me...

Worth a try...

Bit like what was in the old days many moons ago, a 500 mile service when all nuts and bolts would get a tighten up after a settling in on motorbikes, and cars.

And, I am talking donkeys ago as was in the old days...

A nip up can't do any harm, and I reiterate, it worked for me.

Stay well buddy's.

On 18/01/2021 at 23:22, Adolf Hamster said:

it must be noted this isn't guaranteed to work on all brands of gas magazines, some use pins, some the seal isn't oriented in a way that more tension will fix the problem etc.

Quite right, and thanks for that.

I said:

'...and taking a very high grip screwdriver I forced a small amout of extra hard tightening up of the screw'

That is; 'a small amount'., and as said maybe even a little less than a quarter of a turn, that would probably never strip any thread coz I don't recomment OVER tightening, just a nip up...

With caution it can't do any harm and believe me when I say that I myself really did nip the screw up VERY tight - maybe a good half at least or more of a turn and without the thread stripping, and I say just use your intuition and if you should strip the thread (Very unlikely imo) then nothing ventured nothing gained when the leaking mag is scrap anyway.

If I was a Barrister, erm, I would say 'I rest my case', LOL.

Cheers all, don't take all such stuff too literally, chill....

FINAL COMMENT: If the mag is leaking then its scrap, so worth a try, and as said, it really did work for me.

Don't shoot the messenger mates.

I totally agree when you say, quote:

'Better to take the mag apart and apply silicone grease/oil to the seal (square o-ring) and valve rings.

Do it right, do it once. And it takes 5 minutes.

There are other, more invasive, permanent fixes like sealing the base shut with silicone but they are a last resort kind of operation. To try when the only alternative left is to bin the whole mag'.

But I say again, nipping up the screw a bit is worth a try...

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.