Gp Sr15 - Help Changing the Stock and Outer Barrel

THE FNG

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all,

I have a g&p sr15 that I am looking to modify and I need some assistance.

I have never modded anything that falls under the "m4" bracket, so this is a first for me.

What I want to do so swap the outer barrel so that a suppressor sits either flush against the end of the handguard/rail system, rather than further down at the end of the outer barrel that protrudes out of the rail system OR install a suppressor that is integrated underneath the rails. 

I also want to swap the "DMR style" stock for a standard AR style buffer tube so that I can put a crane or similar style stock.

Images below: top is current setup, bottom is what I'm aiming for.

Regarding the stock; I took off the dmr stock and I tried to attach a random m4 stock from my brothers old Asia Electric Gun SR15 (same model, different manufacturer mind) but I noticed that the bit that protrudes at the back of the receiver that guides the stock tube in place was considerably shorter on the g&p than the Asia gun. I screwed in the stock tube but when the screw went in all the way, the tube had around 1 or 2 inches of play, sliding backwards and forwards.

I then tried to install the shorter outer barrel system from the Asia sr15 onto the g&p sr15 but it was slightly too wide to slot into the front of the receiver.

I am now trying to find a stock tube that will fit and an outer barrel that will fit.

The outer barrel I'm after is around 13" I beleive (current stock barrel is 17").

Is there any specific tube or barrel that I need? Will it have to be g&p branded or are there certain compatibility with different brands?

Can anyone assist? 

GP-AEG-GP736.jpg

GP-AEG006_1_mark_1.jpg

First things first is the original outer barrel fitting tapered? Most G&Ps have a different fitting to TM spec AEGs as it gives a more solid fitting. However this also means you can only fit g&p barrels. 

As for the buffer tube I ended up spend nearly £40 on a g&p one after trying for ages to find one that fitted. The ones I could find that were the right length were still too loose. This meant that over time they worked themselves loose and chewed up my wiring. 

• Supporters

Is the barrel painted or polished on the receiver end? The polished ones are tapered so a normal "TM spec" one won't fit. There's a fair amount of aftermarket barrels out there for G&P taper though.

I guess this is untapered?

This would go into the cheap sr15 but the cheap sr15 out barrel would only go a few mm into the g&p sr15.

16109963750546764177045933102734.jpg

• Supporters
14 hours ago, THE FNG said:

I guess this is untapered?

This would go into the cheap sr15 but the cheap sr15 out barrel would only go a few mm into the g&p sr15.

16109963750546764177045933102734.jpg

Yeah the taper is pretty obvious 

G&P Tapered Aluminum GP-T Outer Barrel for G&P GP-T AEG Receivers (Length:  16" / C7 Profile / Black) | Pro Shop | Salient Arms

Seems it's just down to the size then. Bit odd that the cheap one goes in a bit but then stops.

• 3 months later...

Hey how did you get on? I have the same gun and had it for a year and it's been a bag of shit from out of the box... so far I have spent About £200 on upgrades and the last was to fit a madbull chamber but guess what it never fitted the upper chamber without sanding the chamber and then it never fed well lol 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.