Susat

GeneralJock

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So Santa brought me a lovely G&G L85A2 with SUSAT included.

I like the scope, as it has a nice mag/FOV combo - good for further-out targets, but still a decent width of view. It's also a bit of variety over the ordinary red dots and crosses.

I've had some fun with the L85 and got to know her quite well (more on that in another post) but the SUSAT has been a real pig.

I tried to zero the thing in over about 20m in the garden, but even at against the LH stop it was still firing left. I noticed there was some play on the SUSAT itself (tiny, but I guess it could be enough) so I dismantled the sight and right enough found two loose allen bolts on the underside which I duly tightened up. Didn't seem to be causing too much side-to-side movement, but was allowing the sight to move. I checked everything else and put it back together, onto the gun and it was feeling nice and secure but I could not get any improvement on the aim. Again, the SUSAT is hard against the LH stop, and while it's reduced the offset, it still well out - basically have to aim half way between the edge of the sight and the pin to hit the target.

I took the sigh off and put on the ELCAN I have for my M4 carbine. Half a click on that and it zeroed right in. Shot a few mags on single shot and burst and got good continuous results all the black centre.

Am I being too obivious here or is it likely that the SUSAT is just knackered? If one of the prisms is even slightly off then that would cause this problem. At full stop the sight is actually visibly out of line with the barrel of the L85, so it just can't be right.

Thought I would check with some experts on here before I send it back. Thanks for any comments!

Jock

Guest DrAlexanderTobacco
4 minutes ago, GeneralJock said:

Thought I would check with some experts on here before I send it back. Thanks for any comments!

Jock

Are the adjustment posts doing *anything* to adjust your point of aim? From my experience it's pretty common for some clone sights to look like you can zero them, but it's just for cosmetics.

• Supporters

it is sitting nice and securely on the rail? can be an issue if the rail isn't square but given the elcan worked then the rail itself is probably close enough but maybe the scope.

otherwise as above it could be the adjustments are placebo's, although for external adjustment scopes it's usually pretty easy to tell if the adjustment is actually doing anything.

either that, or without wishing to state the obvious, have you tried it all the way in the other direction? i swear manufacturers use different standards for marking adjustment directions just to troll.

I used to have a G&G SUSAT and it had exactly same problem - no amount of adjustment could compensate for how far off that was pointing either. I opened it up and tried to fix it but only had limited success - I did manage to get it pointing straight enough to be able to align it with where the rifle was shooting, but only with a compromised sight picture. Internally its build quality was *bad*.

Prior to that I had tried a STAR SUSAT and that was pretty useless as an aiming device too as the reticle would rotate around inside the sight if it was subjected to any significant vibrations (such as when firing).

In the end I just gave up & put a 20mm rail adapter + ACOG on my L85.

Thanks for the comments.

It's definately a functioning sight, I've attached a pic and you can see the body of the sight moves left to right depending on the direction of the set screws on either side - as you can see it's hard to the left.

This is the front of the SUSAT, initially you might think "hang on, that's pointing to the right". But of course the bottom of the sight is static onto the rail, it's the lenses and casing that physically moves left/right.

But yes @Adolf Hamster I did try the other way, because nor do I trust the markings on a replica sight and I thought maybe a prism arrangement was having some opposing effect, or I was just being an idiot. But it went right out of sight the other way. Also, if you pin the SUSAT down on the bench, loosen off both screws then look through it and move it left to right, you can see the reticule moving the right way, so if I could move it further left then I could get it on-target but I'm not going to start taking metal off.

So I reckon the reticule is just off-centre - either been dropped or just badly assembled at manufacture.

I think it's time for an email to the seller and ask if they'll just replace it. I'll let everyone know how I get on.

All the best!

Jock

SUSAT_0219.jpg

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.