Leadly's Mtw Build Thread - a Dive Head First Into HPA

leadly

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I've been meaning to put together a build / life with an MTW thread for a while now but have never gotten round to it.

So let this be the first step of many.

I'll try to detail as best I can the general faffing and me being a bit of a pain in the arse (more on this later).

Why I chose to spunk a wedge on HPA stuff and just general thread that might perhaps help others decide if this is the path for them!

More at some point soon (probably when the kids have gone to bed), I'm typing this now while I'm supposed to be tidying up play-doh!

My MTW came with a tiny bit of wobble between the upper & lower reciever...was not overlay impressed with this, but the gun itself is great.  Have tested it now and shoots fine...need a range to properly test.  (Oh I fitted the Ratech magic pin today and works a treat..upper/lower now solid as a rock.

Looking forward to seeing future posts on your MTW build Leadly.  :)

• Supporters

i found using o-rings instead of a spring to hold the hop to the box works pretty well for minimising wobble, admittedly at the expense of making it a pain in the ass to get the upper and lower together.

Quite edit because that was a bit long winded.

Basically, I got a HPA starter kit from my mate Paul at http://www.ukfob.co.uk stuck some taps into my MK23 and AAP-01 mags and off I went. 

Paul ordered 7 of the new forged / Milspec MTW's. I took home a 10" Milspec with some heavy discount attached!

Unfortunately my dreams were shattered! 😂 I had grand plans of running a semi only MTW with no M.E.D......but it wasn't to be. 80 P.S.I is the minimum operating pressure for the Reaper engine, which put me around 365 FPS

The above, plus issues with the reaper engine not resetting sometimes for upto 5 seconds I took it back to Paul. 

He kindly let me borrow a Forged / Inferno to try out. Took it to Skirmish in Nottingham for a day.

It started off well enough, then the issues began.  The first problem probably being my own fault and not having the dwell or anything set correctly. I'm new to HPA and MTW'S so I had no clue.

The 2nd was it became increasingly difficult to engage safe and actually started firing by itself. Resulting in me shooting my mate in the leg.

Went back to Paul, found the trigger pull had adjusted itself to pretty much "engage semi and the it will just fire by itself" so re adjusted that played about with the dwell and got it hitting trees at 65m.

This is the part where I became a bit of a pain in the arse. The bad experience put me off so I took home another Milspec / Reaper M. 2 days went by and I went back and swapped it for the inferno!

Paul again was fantastic and very understanding that my lack of knowledge was probably putting me off the better choice.

And here we are.....

IMG_20201216_021636__01.thumb.jpg.3572aead617a3d418324a120d2b2b52d.jpg

The above with an ASG Strike Short dot and QD KAC supressor

And then I spent £15 on a Lee's Precision Engineering adapter so I can fit my MK23 Silverback supressor. 

Resulting in this...

IMG_20210112_202814__01.thumb.jpg.c5db047a98be39e04a6fdeb122f4907a.jpg

Honestly, it's ridiculous how quiet it is now with that on!

I'll do a comparison video soon!

Oh and I also got a 3litre dive tank. Not the biggest I know but I only live 2 miles from Go-Dive who are still open. I wanted something I can easily carry and fit in my classic mini!

IMG_20210114_192757.thumb.jpg.719475ac23c1e8eb07e0d1af98d47439.jpg

I was on the fence about a Milspec vs the Billet (Standard MTW) and the only thing that put me off was the single fire only and some posts i've seen saying people having reliability issues with the Reaper.  So standard MTW it is..

Just waiting for lockdown to end so I can get my dive tank filled and off to Thurlaston Range for some serious testing...and then a game.  :)

Fitted the magic pin and it's perfect...zero wobble and solid as a rock.  Took me a min to figure out how to remove the front takedown pin...(Small spring holding it in)

Btw..using the handpump is intresting... Once up to 2000psi it's quite a workout getting it to 3000psi.  :)

I've also got a KAC style supressor and even with the standard foam inside it,it's very quiet. 

MTW.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Managed to have a play around with the MTW again over the past few days.

I've had a few issues:

° The need to double tap to get it to fire a BB every 5 - 7 shots

° Inconsistent FPS 

°Irratic 20FPS jump up then down again

Stripped the engine and gave it a clean. It was pretty grubby to be fair. Re-lubed with some Zues Juice.

Tested again and the 20FPS jump has gone but I'm still left with a double tap needed every now and then and a variance of about 10 FPS.

So as suggested in the MTW discord I've got to have a play about with the lip tension of the phoenix hop. That's my job tonight with a lovely can of ale!

• Supporters

could be feedlips, or could be the mag, hpa's tend to be a fair bit more demanding on feeding.

i'm not familiar with the wolverine systems but you might have an fcu setting that controls how long the nozzle stays back for which could help feeding at the expense of rof.

I'd like to assume (I know, I know) that's it's not the mags as it does it with both my MTW mags and both my cheap nuprol ones.

The FCU has all of the settings.

Dwell, Rate of fire, semi / fire selection

I'm going to have a gander at the lip tension and try to re-adjust. After that I'll max the dwell out and see if it's gone away then adjust to suit.

Fixed it!

The phoenix hop unit has a collar inside it that adjusts bucking lip tension. This collar had jammed forward, making it incredibly difficult to poke a BB through the bucking.

So after a strip down and rebuild, I adjusted the tension and got a nice steady FPS with only 2-3 FPS variance. No jumps in FPS and no need to double tap! Very happy!

Game on!!

• 4 weeks later...

IMG_20210304_222200__01__01.thumb.jpg.b4d0c117028cb352a6b68fbed71d45d9.jpg

Got bush!?

New Magpul stock and a Nightstrike Diamondback angled fore grip!

You can't really see it but it looks like this:

Screenshot_20210304-223618__01.jpg.40d18545e28bd812bd6bd99f6b134c9a.jpg

Very comfortable with a lot of different grip options!

• 5 weeks later...

Well took out the MTW to the range yesterday and with a PTS suppressor on, my god it's quiet.

@ 100psi it was shooting @ 425fps, so I turned the regulator down just around 90psi (Can't remember exactly) and got it shooting @ 345 (ish) but shooting +/- 5fps. 

I've yet to fit the Wolverine filtered grip line, so that means I may have to adjust the regulator pressure.  Once that's done, I'm going to play with the DWELL settings as well.

I've got the Phoenix hop unit installed, but the accuracy is a bit meh... My TM is better..and both my ICS, G&G & Bolt M16 worked on by Negative Airsoft are much more accurate on 0.3g bb's.

I'm thinking the hop unit rubber just need bedding in..only fire about 1000's bb's yesterday.  I'm thinking of stripping the Phoenix hop unit to see if it's flathopped or just normal whatever the Phoenix setup is as standard.

Either way looking forward to getting some on the 17th @ NPF.

On 03/04/2021 at 14:58, Monkman said:

Well took out the MTW to the range yesterday and with a PTS suppressor on, my god it's quiet.

@ 100psi it was shooting @ 425fps, so I turned the regulator down just around 90psi (Can't remember exactly) and got it shooting @ 345 (ish) but shooting +/- 5fps. 

I've yet to fit the Wolverine filtered grip line, so that means I may have to adjust the regulator pressure.  Once that's done, I'm going to play with the DWELL settings as well.

I've got the Phoenix hop unit installed, but the accuracy is a bit meh... My TM is better..and both my ICS, G&G & Bolt M16 worked on by Negative Airsoft are much more accurate on 0.3g bb's.

I'm thinking the hop unit rubber just need bedding in..only fire about 1000's bb's yesterday.  I'm thinking of stripping the Phoenix hop unit to see if it's flathopped or just normal whatever the Phoenix setup is as standard.

Either way looking forward to getting some on the 17th @ NPF.

The Silent Industries arms are definitely worth a look. While aware the 1.0 is out of stock atm, my best results were with the 1.0 arm and a G&G Green in both the Pheonix and standard chamber (I personally really like the stock 'Billet' chamber and am yet to be convinced that the Phoenix is worth it in terms of both cost and faff), but I didn't do extensive testing of other known to be good combos for that to be definitive. If you're at all interested I have a 1.0 and 2.0 which I may consider parting with, I'd been holding onto them in case the eventual buyer of my Forged wanted them but I'm happy to offer them up if your interest is piqued. Feel free to message me if they take your fancy.

Edit: To save folks messaging me in the future, both arms have since been sold.

Edited by alxndrhll

I'm at Phoenix on Monday hunting YouTubers 😂 so hopefully now I've got it set up better it'll do the business!

80 P.S.I gets me around 360fps which will do me. Phoenix limit is 370fps for full auto (including HPA) so near enough a full auto capable DMR.

Exciting!!

7 hours ago, alxndrhll said:

The Silent Industries arms are definitely worth a look. While aware the 1.0 is out of stock atm, my best results were with the 1.0 arm and a G&G Green in both the Pheonix and standard chamber (I personally really like the stock 'Billet' chamber and am yet to be convinced that the Phoenix is worth it in terms of both cost and faff), but I didn't do extensive testing of other known to be good combos for that to be definitive. If you're at all interested I have a 1.0 and 2.0 which I may consider parting with, I'd been holding onto them in case the eventual buyer of my Forged wanted them but I'm happy to offer them up if your interest is piqued. Feel free to message me if they take your fancy.

Righto...I installed a G&G Green this afternoon as well as a flat nub I had spare lying around today.  I broke the plastic feed nozzle as well today..so lucky I had a spare, which was a bitch to fit back in.. lol.  I'll see how the setup runs when i'm out playing on the 17th.  So if i'm un-impressed with my G&G Green and nub, will pm you abou the 1.0 & 2.0.  :)

I’m using the 1.0. 
I have the Phoenix but never used it as it does look like a lot of faff.

Not a big fan of removing the hpa unit multiple times.

On 03/04/2021 at 15:28, alxndrhll said:

in case the eventual buyer of my Forged wanted them

Would love a forged but not sure I can justify two MTW’s 

1 minute ago, lukeB said:

I’m using the 1.0. 
I have the Phoenix but never used it as it does look like a lot of faff.

Not a big fan of removing the hpa unit multiple times.

Would love a forged but not sure I can justify two MTW’s 

The Phoenix is great (some argue borderline necessary) if you want to run ML buckings, I'd just never felt the need with G&G Greens performing as they were.

I had 3 at one point, granted I'd anticipated number 1 being gone before 2 and 3 turned up 😅.

I'd wanted two so I could one set up for a 10" rail/outer bareel and 285mm barrel with the hop set up to be running .32s-.36s outdoors, and a shorter 7" rail/outer barrel with a shorter inner barrel for CQB with a CO2 stock with the hop set up for 0.25s-0.28s. Very much a luxury given how easy it is to swap those components around, but the thought of having either of those set ups running perfectly and wanting to tear it down each time I wanted to change set up wasn't a reality I wanted to be in.

My mtw is currently setup as a mk12 dmr, but since I’m building a 7.62 kythera dmr I don’t really need both for that role. Have ugs stocks on order for both guns, hpa and 33g.

I also have an L119a1 aeg inferno build, which I would love to move to an mtw as it will most likely perform much better. I just can’t get past the looks of the billet upper.

Probably need to sell my billet and buy a forged.

Well quite a bit of fun was had at Phoenix on Monday. Turns out there were atleast 6 or 7 YouTube snipers there so I'm sure one of them will have footage of me getting hit!

There is also a possibility I may have hit a few of them, I did fire BB's in Mustangs general direction!

The MTW performed well enough. Every shot curved off to the right past 40m or so but a bit corrective shooting sorted that. I assume the hop unit might need looking at or possibly it could be some of my leaf wrap getting in the way?

It was an absolute pleasure to get some more close up kills without people hearing where the hail of 0.32's came from!

I've got some 0.36s on order to see if I can find some more range with them, especially at sites like phoenix which is pretty large and over grown!

Smaller sites, like Matlock and ones with a lot of buildings like Anzio where I'm at in a few weeks I'll stick to 0.32's.

One issue that has raised it's annoying head is the trigger has adjusted itself again so I can't engage safety, so I'll be putting a dab of thread lock on the if the grub screw is too small for thread tape.

I feel like I've cheated on my VSR a bit by not wanting to use it all day, but oh what fun this gun is!

Well, courtesy of @alxndrhll the MTW now has a 285mm 6.05mm PDI barrel and silent industries 1.0 arm. Also have the 2.0 incase I want to try a different nub.

PIcked up a G&G green hop rubber from UKFOB last night as well.

Pumped half a mag through it last night just to check it fires correctly after putting it all together. Fuck me the hop rubber was tight to get in. Liberal use of silicone oil and then a through clean after helped get it in!

The nozzle got stuck a few times but came unstuck with another trigger pull. I assume it may stop happening once the hop rubber breaks in a little, I fill my tank up and increase the pressure to accommodate the wider bore barrel. If in doubt, adjust the feed lips about!

Took the leaf wrap off for Anzio on the 17th, mainly so I could run my flash light.

I'll still be going full bush man, but might have ordered a new Viper Gen 2 plate carrier at UKFOB while I was getting my bucking for those moments when the bush isn't needed. (New CQB site and Gaol mainly)

IMG_20210408_230854__01.thumb.jpg.bb7e49c17435f4f7a82a4bbc93f67b09.jpg

Edited by leadly

• 2 weeks later...

Well that was quite interesting today... MTW was overhopping 0.3 & 0.32's...  Have a G&G Green in the Pheonix hop and firefly flat nub.  I bought a bottle of 0.4's yesterday and tried them today...WOW the range was amazing!! I was generally surprised.

Just need to source large amounts of 0.4 of above...more than the standard 1000 bb bottles.  Any know of or recommend large quantity of 0.4 Bb's?

**For giggles ran my G&G drum mag as well for one game, was fun...full auto a couple of times, but mainly single shot and never having to reload.. :)

• Supporters
24 minutes ago, Monkman said:

Just need to source large amounts of 0.4 of above...more than the standard 1000 bb bottles.  Any know of or recommend large quantity of 0.4 Bb's?

ain't that just the question......

you can get the geoffs in bags of 3000, although you'll be wincing every shot:

https://www.outdoorandtactical.co.uk/product/geoffs-precision-bbs-0-40g-3000-white

@Monkman I took my MTW to Anzio camp yesterday and had exactly the same issue. I was easily over hopping 0.32's.

I totally forgot I had a bag of 0.36's in my kit bag but ah well, never mind. I'm booking Anzio again for next month so will try the 0.36's then and report back!

The swerving issue I had last time has now gone away. It may have just needed a rebuild but it got the new barrel, 1.0 arm and bucking instead.

Wearing my KMCS with the MTW was brilliant once I got outside in the greener areas. Shot / had pinned down a decent amount of players by myself without them having a clue where I was.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.