So - Does This Count as a RIF? Trigger Warning: Contains Speedsoft

Speedbird_666

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Speedbird_666 changed the title to So - Does This Count as a RIF? Trigger Warning: Contains Speedsoft

Fuck off!

Seen one same as that in B&Q.

In the gardening section

🤭🤮 not my cup of tea,coffee,whisky or any other drink.

Regards 

I don't have an issue with it other than:

Try making a rational argument to a politician/political group that we need RIFs to play airsoft when these are/become available.

A platform specifically designed for airsoft use is always going to be superior to something based on a real firearm which has certain design compromises because it is a firearm.

Imo community would split over the suspension of disbelief element as some would shoot themselves in the foot and decide it's fine as they don't need a RIF to play speedsoft or a walk on skirmish.

I think the government will have another crack at airsoft sooner or later.

2 minutes ago, Cromulon1994 said:

Try making a rational argument to a politician/political group that we need RIFs to play airsoft when these are/become available.

A platform specifically designed for airsoft use is always going to be superior to something based on a real firearm which has certain design compromises because it is a firearm.

Imo community would split over the suspension of disbelief element as some would shoot themselves in the foot and decide it's fine as they don't need a RIF to play speedsoft or a walk on skirmish.

So are you saying that eventually,to continue playing, we will be using peashooters.

I'm not sure I understand.

Regards 

Join UKAPU. Stop this happening.👍👍👍

Regards 

Yes it is a RIF

RIF does not mean ‘looks like a real firearm’, but ‘anybody could think it’s a firearm’

Its not in the specified colours to meet IF status

In paintball a UK retailer of realistic paintball guns was visited by the Association of Chief Constables as part of a fact finding study.  They stated the obvious that the realistic guns would in their opinion be RIFs, and that the retailer ought to consider the implications of the VCRA in case they returned in a formal manner. The retailer introduced a voluntary UKARA style scheme.

However, less obvious to many was that they also considered every other  ‘non realistic’ paintball gun in stock to be potential RIFs unless they were in the specified IF colours. The company included these in their scheme and offered non scheme alternatives.

They received much criticism until they gave the above reasons, other retailers had a sharp intake of breath and twitching backsides.

This has been forgotten over the years and the scheme has been lost to history.

The UKPSF (recognised representarive body) have since reraised the question to the Home Office and a document sits on the internet stating that paintball either has get out clauses in that paintball guns are ‘low powered air weapons’ and skipped the more recent joules problem due to being designed for ‘frangible projectiles’ (in which case they are legally unlicenced firearms so are neither IFs nor RIFs) or aren’t firearms and fall into the VCRA.  It adds that UKPSF membership ‘might’ qualify as a scheme for the VCRA defence.  
Lots of ‘might be’ which are untested in court. 
I don’t plan on my potential RIFs and highly likely RIFs to be tested in court 

The Atom being a speedsofter design has paintball looks and is verging to ‘ergonomic’ design rather than copying the designs based around real gun physics.

Its up to a retailer whether they think the VCRA applies to their sales, and as long as people don’t act as dickheads there won’t be a court case to find out for sure 

28 minutes ago, Cromulon1994 said:

You don’t need a RIF to play airsoft.

But the industry arguement while the VCRA was being drafted was that players like to dress up and immerse in the game, part of which included having a degree of ‘realism’

As long as their are people dressing up, and particularly that there are sites and events catering to them, it doesn’t matter that there are  others playing who don’t  

So a pressure washer lance or garden watering attachment could be mistaken for a rif? They are in various colours. A short sighted,colour blind person could think they were firearms. 

I know I need a rif to play airsoft.

If I'm not allowed a gun in the real and universally accepted guise of a gun then I will step down and take up bloody basket weaving!

I play because I can dress up and run around like a nutter with a real looking gun.take that away and what's the point. 

Back me up guys......🙏

Regards 

So if I spray my dewalt drill black would that be a rif?

If I point it at a plasterer at work they invariably throw their hands in the air and say dont shoot.

😉

Regards 

@Shamal we are all (sadly) involved because we like to be tacticool one way or another 😁

That said it’s also very much about the competition and comradery, no different to someone who likes go-karting.

Go-karting is great because everyone is in the same 125cc kart, there isn’t only one guy on the circuit that has a 250cc / Hozelock

5 minutes ago, Davegolf said:

@Shamal we are all (sadly) involved because we like to be tacticool one way or another 😁

That said it’s also very much about the competition and comradery, no different to someone who likes go-karting.

Go-karting is great because everyone is in the same 125cc kart, there isn’t only one guy on the circuit that has a 250cc /

So am I wrong? 

Perhaps I dont like change.

🤔

Regards 

1 hour ago, Shamal said:

So a pressure washer lance or garden watering attachment could be mistaken for a rif? They are in various colours. A short sighted,colour blind person could think they were firearms. 

If I'm not allowed a gun in the real and universally accepted guise of a gun then I will step down and take up bloody basket weaving!

I play because I can dress up and run around like a nutter with a real looking gun.take that away and what's the point. 

Back me up guys......🙏

Regards 

If I point it at a plasterer at work they invariably throw their hands in the air and say dont shoot.

😉

Regards 

A pressure washer lance doesn’t usually look like the Atom. But if you dismantled one then maybe it could

The Atom is a stylised gun design, it’s designed to shoot things

The definition of a RIF under the VCRA covers what is perceived to be a firearm.

D6C9C1B1-6166-404C-887E-DC57CB6DED68.jpeg

Almost anything could be mistaken for a firearm if held in the appropriate manner and waved around so bystanders couldn't get a decent view of it.

We can all agree that people play for different reasons and I'm OK with speed-softers and paintballers etc. as long as they don't mix with my/our game style which is more milsim.

I'm definitely with Shamal that if it goes too far in the speedy direction then I'll be out 🙄 (I don't think it will though)

[1400 posts yay]

• Head Moderator
16 hours ago, Davegolf said:

RIF = Real Imitation Firearm, so hell no! 🤢🤬🙈

Realistic Imitation Firearm, so the impression of whether it looks real or not is with the person viewing it.  Whilst it does not look realistic to most airsofters, I expect that plenty of the public would be concerned if they saw it.

14 hours ago, Shamal said:

Dont quote me but  think you would get in trouble if the 'INTENT' is there.

Ie no one will call the police if you pointed a nerf gun at them, but if you sprayed a dewalt drill black and someone thought it was a real gun and felt in danger that is where things will get sticky

• Supporters
16 hours ago, Davegolf said:

Made by Hozelock I think 🤔 

We’ll seeing as most speedsofters do generally hose the F*ck out of everyone wouldn't Hozeloc be an appropriate manufacturer ?

🤔

13 hours ago, Tommikka said:

D6C9C1B1-6166-404C-887E-DC57CB6DED68.jpeg

Is that the new HPA one ? 😂

now if someone could add a top loading system for faster feeding then “oh they already did , it’s call a paint marker “😳

525261BD-A9E2-43E3-BC39-30F73FB52B4E.jpeg

• Supporters
On 08/01/2021 at 21:11, Shamal said:

Back me up guys......🙏

Regards 

😉

Regards 

Let's not forget that people have been shot and killed by armed response units for carrying a chair leg before now...

Shit I'd rock that!

Missing a huge blade trigger though :(

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Lozart said:

Let's not forget that people have been shot and killed by armed response units for carrying a chair leg before now...

Or looking vaguely like someone else.

16 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

Or looking vaguely like someone else.

The world goes mad, matter of years and you will need a license for a kitchen knife. I don’t want to point fingers but most ridiculous ideas and rules are coming from countries that rule(d) the EU.

Just a bit of a rant

It grated with me that Protek are calling the Atom a profession 'marker' for SpeedSoft, @Druid799 can be forgiven for referring to paint markers, but that still grates and people keep posting on the thread waving these blatent 'marker' words in my face.

'Marker' has its origin in forestry and farming when airgun technology was brought in to shoot balls of paint.  A collaboration between the  Nelson Paint company and Crossman.

These genuinely were designed to mark with permanent oil based paint, but were not markers - they were 'paint marking pistols', later there were mostly 'paint guns' and occasionaly 'paint marking guns'

Nelsons first paintball pistol wasn't a 'marking pistol' or a 'marker' but the 'Nelspot 707 pellet pistol' and its oil based paintballs were 'marking pellets' (In the example below  'use with 007 gun' referring to another Nelspot 007 model 'gun' not 'marker')

http://www.pettypb.com/707/707instructions.pdf

The second paintball gun still wasn't a marker but was the 'Daisy SplotchMaker'. (Maker not marker)

Only when the game begins to establish itself for franchising do we get the Survival Game company producing the first gun dedicated to the game for 'mass' production do we get the 'Survival Game Splatmaster marking pistol'

As time progressed non-oil based paintballs were produced, so that they no longer permanently marked your clothing (or required you to wash stains with petrol)

'Marker' came in the late 80's and 90s as part of a drive away from Rambo southern hicks and to curry favour with TV and advertising (Including televising a tournament at Disney World)

It is entirely a Politically Correct term, which only pays lip service to being politically correct with guns ho team names.

In airsoft how can the Atom be a marker other than a close up BB Chipping the finish on someones mesh grill?

End of rant

NelspotPaint.jpg

splatmaster.jpg

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.