Pistol Mag Release Mechanisms.

emilianoksa

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I wonder if somebody could kindly explain how they work.

I know it is all to do with a spring.

What I don't know is whether the slot in the mag when engaged releases or compresses the spring.

In other words, is the spring under compression when the mag is in the grip. Or does the mag itself first compress the spring as it slides into the grip and then release it?

Sorry if it is a stupid question.

I want to buy a pistol display stand which holds the gun solely by the grip. Some of these appear to grip the mag like the pistol grip does. Others don't. They appear to be shorter and don't engage the release mechanism, and serve only as a support for the weight of the gun.

If the ones that grip the mag are keeping the spring under compression, they would weaken it over time, and would therefore not be a good way to store and display your pistol.

Those kinds of mechanisms rarely rely on springs staying always compressed, so my guess is that the system is relaxed at first (no mag), spring then gets compressed (mag is being inserted) and released again (mag seated) and then the spring gets compressed to allow the magazine to be removed.

It depends upon the gun. As @Skarasays, most pistol (and rifle) retention systems work via a brief compression then return to uncompressed (or unflexed, as most are torsion style springs) 

Either way them springs are really flimsy with very little yield strength (yes had to google the englando translation) so having them always compressed will likely cause "enervation" (is that correct?) thus constant replacement of the part.

I had also considered the type of stand that supports the barrel rather than the grip, but they don't look as good, are often too low and rarely have provision to stop the grip from slipping.

On the pistol grip display stands can the plastic grip of a hi capa manage to support the weight of the metal frame and slide, or will it weaken in time?

I assume most polymers are tough enough, but don't know about the TM ABS.

2 minutes ago, emilianoksa said:

On the pistol grip display stands can the plastic grip of a hi capa manage to support the weight of the metal frame and slide, or will it weaken in time?

As long as the slide isn't made of tungsten, depleted uranium or granite it should be fine :D

• Supporters
55 minutes ago, Skara said:

enervation" (is that correct?)

i think from the context i'd use "creep"

as has been mentioned the 1911 style mag release is default resting position of a slight amount of tension with the catch being pushed out of the way during insertion and popping back.

there might be slightly more tension with mag in compared to mag out but it's not enough to really cause worry (at least in the kind of timespans shorter than something else failing due to age)

6 hours ago, emilianoksa said:

Thanks.

And I suppose springs are easy enough to replace. 

Depends upon the gun. Glocks are just a torsion pin, but others are more complex and spares may not be available

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.