well, small update on my import duties tale...

i ordered a bunch of stuff from airsoft atlanta that totalled approx £290.  parcel got stopped by customs and i have been stung £65 of import duty...

on the other hand, i ordered a bunch of non-airsoft stuff from japan, and was expecting the parcel to be stopped at customs as every single parcel from japan has been in the past,  yet this time it passed straight through customs with no charges attached...   goods in the parcel totalled £120 and i wasnt charged VAT etc...

1 hour ago, Spartan09 said:

well, small update on my import duties tale...

i ordered a bunch of stuff from airsoft atlanta that totalled approx £290.  parcel got stopped by customs and i have been stung £65 of import duty...

on the other hand, i ordered a bunch of non-airsoft stuff from japan, and was expecting the parcel to be stopped at customs as every single parcel from japan has been in the past,  yet this time it passed straight through customs with no charges attached...   goods in the parcel totalled £120 and i wasnt charged VAT etc...

No rhyme or reason!🤔

Bit like suck it and see...

Regards 

3 minutes ago, Shamal said:

No rhyme or reason!🤔

Bit like suck it and see...

my thoughts exactly...    almost as if they are making the rules up as they go along

On 13/01/2021 at 16:08, Lozart said:

If your purchase is £135 or less (and the seller has registered for UK VAT) the VAT is paid at point of purchase and there will be no duty and Royal Mail won't charge.

If it's over £135 it'll be the same as it always was; cost of goods plus shipping and insurance for duty calculation, VAT calculated on that total, handling charge on top.

https://www.simplyduty.com/import-calculator/

So if you're spending say £260, would it make more financial sense/be cheaper to make two purchases of £130 and pay for delivery twice than buying a single £260 order that will be charged customs on top?

• Supporters
7 hours ago, The Commander said:

So if you're spending say £260, would it make more financial sense/be cheaper to make two purchases of £130 and pay for delivery twice than buying a single £260 order that will be charged customs on top?

Not really. The percentage duty and VAT is still the same. It's purely down to where the VAT is paid - at point of purchase or point of import. If it's paid at point of purchase Royal Mail would have no reason to charge you their extra handling fee so it might save you £8.

10 hours ago, The Commander said:

Duty is a minor percentage, probably 2%

20% VAT would be due on both methods 
On £260 you could save £5.20 at 2% duty by getting separate packages 

The level of handling fees could vary, usually a minimum of £8

So by getting separate packages you might save £13.20, but you would pay double in postage 

With the single package there is always the possibility that it doesn’t get picked up on entry and you get away with no charges 

• Root Admin

Not to mention that pretty much every courier (including Royal Mail) charges a service fee for prepaying your VAT and passing it through their network to get it to you as quickly as possible. On something like that I believe it's around £13.