Which Couriers Will Ship Rifs?

Matt.2504

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi Guys,

I need your help

I am currently in the process of purchasing a 2nd hand rifle and am struggling to find a courier. 
The issue is that the seller doesn’t live near to a post office so the standard Parcelforce 48hr service is out of the question ( according to parcelforces rules rifs can only be shipped via their 48hr service and have to physically be dropped off at a post office, not picked up from the someones house).

are there any other couriers that can be used?

unfortunately this rifle isn’t one that can be easily broken down into two parts and shipped seperately before anyone suggests that normally clever idea

Hi,

Ive used Parcel2Go during lockdown they can collect from the shippers address and deliver to you. Can be a little be more expensive but they use quite a few different couriers and have a app.

Cheers

GG

I wouldn’t recommend parcel 2 go personally.

I once sent a RIF with them that the buyer claimed arrived broken (it could have, or he could have tried something and broke it I have no way of ever knowing) and couldn’t claim back as it was a RIF also send something else (random eBay item) which took almost two weeks to get to the buyer with no tracking details whatsoever ever and no help from them about finding it.

I would suggest you either ask the seller when he is able to get to a post office (if he wants the money he needs to make a trip) or hold off and find another seller

This is something the seller should have considered before listing it to be honest.

Parcel force is the only one that has been reliable for me. Anyway it's the sellers problem not yours. If they are not willing to do the leg work walk away.

1 hour ago, Albiscuit said:

I wouldn’t recommend parcel 2 go personally.

I once sent a RIF with them that the buyer claimed arrived broken (it could have, or he could have tried something and broke it I have no way of ever knowing) and couldn’t claim back as it was a RIF also send something else (random eBay item) which took almost two weeks to get to the buyer with no tracking details whatsoever ever and no help from them about finding it.

I would suggest you either ask the seller when he is able to get to a post office (if he wants the money he needs to make a trip) or hold off and find another seller

This is something the seller should have considered before listing it to be honest.

To be fair that is a good shout, ive only sent stuff with them to people i know.

As everyone else has said walk away if they aren't willing to ship

ParcelForce48 are the ONLY ones who will officially take RIFs

They do have a pickup service but obviously costs a bit more.

If you use anyone else and it gets lost/broken then you will not be able to claim any refund.

Some also state that if they find a package containing banned items (ie RIFs) they will be destroyed.

ParcelForce will do pickup of ParcelForce48 from my uncles cottage, and he lives in an island cottage rebuilt from his North Sea beach coming.  This guy is a mentalist, he’s featured on Scottish TV a few times as a ‘pioneer’ of sustainable energy, but in fact he grew up copying the old folks who stripped down starter motors and rigged them up for wind power.  It was that or no electricity.  

When ParcelForce are willing to provide a pickup service to him I find it hard to believe someone else can’t.

Pickup costs £1.80 more than drop off at a post office - which doesn’t need a post office. For example my preferred ‘post office’ is the counter at the garage around the corner.  (Pre Covid the Post Office counter was open about 22 or 23 hours a day as it’s in a 24 hour garage.  They shortened the hours in Covid)

Beware when a seller asks you to choose a courier, as it’s then your problem that you pick a courier that voids it’s insurance because RIFs are on their restricted / prohibited list. If the seller picks an inappropriate carrier / method then that’s their problem when it goes wrong, you pick it and that’s your problem 

12 hours ago, EDcase said:

ParcelForce48 are the ONLY ones who will officially take RIFs

They do have a pickup service but obviously costs a bit more.

If you use anyone else and it gets lost/broken then you will not be able to claim any refund.

Some also state that if they find a package containing banned items (ie RIFs) they will be destroyed.

9 hours ago, Tommikka said:

ParcelForce will do pickup of ParcelForce48 from my uncles cottage, and he lives in an island cottage rebuilt from his North Sea beach coming.  This guy is a mentalist, he’s featured on Scottish TV a few times as a ‘pioneer’ of sustainable energy, but in fact he grew up copying the old folks who stripped down starter motors and rigged them up for wind power.  It was that or no electricity.  

When ParcelForce are willing to provide a pickup service to him I find it hard to believe someone else can’t.

Pickup costs £1.80 more than drop off at a post office - which doesn’t need a post office. For example my preferred ‘post office’ is the counter at the garage around the corner.  (Pre Covid the Post Office counter was open about 22 or 23 hours a day as it’s in a 24 hour garage.  They shortened the hours in Covid)

Beware when a seller asks you to choose a courier, as it’s then your problem that you pick a courier that voids it’s insurance because RIFs are on their restricted / prohibited list. If the seller picks an inappropriate carrier / method then that’s their problem when it goes wrong, you pick it and that’s your problem 

the issue is that according to parcelforces prohibited list, rifs have to be dropped off at the post office in order to be shipped, they are not allowed to be collected from somebody’s house.

BC5FC5C9-1DB9-40DB-A8F7-D94B713B5071.png

I've sent a few via UPS in the past and had no issues, they collected from my home address also... 

Of course you can use any company usually without a problem but its a gamble because if there's a problem with lost/damaged items you'll loose your money.

(Mind you, I don't know anyone who got compensation from ParcelForce either)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.