M14 DMR Project - E110 Cerakote, Winchester Trademarks and Wooden Stock Refinishing

Alimcd

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Good morning good sirs,

Now that I’ve sated myself for now with Hi-Capas, it’s time to have a closer look at something I started last year.

I wanted a DMR, people had started bringing semi-auto 450fps stuff to the field and I wanted something that actually felt and looked as if it could justify that role. The final straw was when chronoing in at Finmere, a new face boldly stated that his short-barrelled M4 derivative with an enormous scope was a DeE EmM ArRrR. That night I bought a Cyma M14 as a base.

Internally it’s all sorted. A few key internal switcharoos and a bit of TLC has given a stable output of c.435 with hop set for 0.4’s. The stock hides a Gate mosfet, the selector plate has been removed so the cut off lever cannot be lifted. The hop unit has been switched out for a TM, rubber and nub with the obligatory Maple leaf. I replaced the feed springs in some Cyma mid caps to make sure I had reliable, rattle-free mags and that’s the boring bit out of the way.

Externally is where I want a few pointers. Ive already replaced the Cyma stock with a Wooden jobby. The original finish was ‘orrid so it’s been sanded, stained and sealed with OSMO, a beeswax based finish. I’ve stuck a RIS top cover on there and a nice Hawke 3-9x50AO scope on there.

Here’s where the question lies. What to do to next. 

Ive gotten in touch with a local engraver to get some trademarks on the receiver. The Cyma has a printed serial number on the receiver but no actual trades, that’s got to change. I think I’ve settled on Winchester trades, a peculiar and scarce manufacturing run of RS M14’s. I’ve popped a picture of the markings. If anyone knows of anything even more obscure, I’m open to suggestions.

The other area that I need a hand with is finish. The Cyma paint is crap and there are seam lines on almost all of the cast metal bits. I’ll be doing some sanding and finishing before it all goes over to Mark at FMJUK for a Cerakote finish. I’m hovering over E110 Midnight to try and get that parkerised look. Am I looking at totally the wrong colour? Will I just end up with a blue M14? I’m really hesitant to just go with Graphite Black as I want a bit of flair. What’s the opinion on best Cerakote for a M14?

These threads are useless without pictures so I’ll make sure to take some when I’m back in work on Monday 

Ali

2A079D83-2D63-4D7C-B923-56C86101F876.png

F99F52B6-BAD1-4A37-8E09-41561D746DD4.png

• Alimcd changed the title to M14 Project Opinion Wanted

Sounds the nuts!  Far more effort than I put into mine.  Sounds like a fantastic rifle.

I always think that Cerakote looks like Cerakote tbh.  Matt Cerakote is a nicer smoother finish than Parkerizinging.   That E110 looks good on my monitor colour wise though.  

You could use a Duracoat home Parkerizing spray can, they ship to the UK. 

Having had a few messages back and forth now. I’m leaning towards the new “sheen” of the E110. The more parkerised finish might be a bit dull for what I’m after. 

What did you do with yours Mr Helmet?

Believe it or not, this is what progress looks like...

Mixed up some JB Weld to fill in the “made in China” on the trigger guard. Sanded down all of the seams.

Seeing the engraver tomorrow 

fun times

F52F9552-7380-41EE-987F-37F4D9735EC3.jpeg

Decided to strip the finish off of the stock as it wasn’t quite dark enough to look authentic.

Some sanding and staining later and it’s getting close to where I want it to be. 

Didn’t manage to get to the engraver today so that’s going to have to wait until after Christmas. Bah Humbag

6D43F0B5-0D8B-4ED4-8105-B8174F65F7F0.jpeg

Cosmetically, I wiped mine over with an oily rag...

Getting rather inspired by your efforts though.  I might add to the list of projects I have to do.  Got six rifles waiting for the local dip and strip to reopen as it is mind.   Couple need a 60's BSA enameled type finish and three for re-bluing.  It's the surface prep that takes the time I find.  

Are you playing Namsoft with the M14?

30 minutes ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

Cosmetically, I wiped mine over with an oily rag...

Getting rather inspired by your efforts though.  I might add to the list of projects I have to do.  Got six rifles waiting for the local dip and strip to reopen as it is mind.   Couple need a 60's BSA enameled type finish and three for re-bluing.  It's the surface prep that takes the time I find.  

Are you playing Namsoft with the M14?

Didn’t even realise it was a thing until now. This has been driven by the desire to have something that no one else on the field has.

Where can I find out about the Namsoft? This coming year I’m going to dip my toe into indoor, it’d be cool to dive into some more Milsim based scenarios too. Got a couple of half marathons in the calendar, so the more games I do the less boring training!

Different engraver found, waiting for quote.

Just incase anyone was having dificulty sleeping - here's what a £130 Cyma needed to be a DMR.

Gearbox casing is fine with no obvious defects, more for the ceremony than anything I've polished the rails with Mothers Aluminum polish. Who knows if it makes any difference but it makes me THINK the piston cycles better. Stock cylinder head was also fine so I've kept that and the stock cylinder in place. Unfortunately, the airseal was non-existant, I've kept the Cyma piston but changed out the piston head for a ported aluminum jobbie I had laying around. The stock nozzle wasn't great, so I splashed out on a Prometheus which seals and feeds. ASG M125 spring with a bearing spring guide coupled with a Modify 6.03 barrel if giving the desired FPS.

There was no reason to change out the gearset but a saw a deal on some standard ratio Prometheus V7 gears that I couldn't resist... Quick shim and that's all happy. Stock bushings are fine. If you remove the selctor bar from the V7 gearbox, the cut off lever cannot be lifted. This gives a clean and reversible semi only lock.

The Cyma motor wasn't great so I switched that out for an ASG Infinity 30,000. The ASG motors are a bit on the big side so a fair bit of filing had to happen to allow for proper motor height adjustment. Cabling was switched out for some decent gauge stuff and a Gate trigger cable was put in place. Currently there's a NanoHard in the stock set to no active-brake and 7.4V battery protection. Active brake was making the spring go TWANG bizarrely, but the gun doesn't require AB on a 7.4 and the trigger response is spot on.

Finally, the Cyma Hop unit was not a great casting and actually asymetrical. I got a TM unit from FireSupport and went with the obligatory ML Macaron/Omega nub route.

Fun project internally, but as usual I've spent more than the base gun on UpGrAdEs!

I still can't hit anything, but I certainly cant blame the M14

• Alimcd changed the title to M14 DMR Project - E110 Cerakote, Winchester Trademarks and Wooden Stock Refinishing

Have a look at Gunman sites.  Eversley has three or so Namsoft games a year.  Bravo Sierra airsoft also does two games in Kent both Namsoft.  Bloody good weekends out.  Any probs finding them give me a shout.

I run too mate.  Best of luck with half marathons.  I do trackwork/crosscountry to get my Kung Fu stronger.  Never tried running that seriously at all!  

• 3 weeks later...

FINALLY, going to see the engraver on Tuesday before work. 

Work’s been total chaos so pretty much everything has been put on hold for a while.

I think the engraver is quite excited too. In 32 years he’s not been asked to do anything similar

• 2 weeks later...

The engraver has some mock-ups for me on Alu sheet before going to town on the actual receiver. 

Interestingly, he phoned me earlier to ask me to bring him some form of letter to accept any legal culpability of him working on the receiver. His concern lay in someone “me” trying to make a toy gun more realistic and the potential for disaster that had in the world at large.

Hands up, good guy for being careful!

I’m seeing him in the morning to give him a waiver and show him some details of my local site, UKARA, have a waffle about what Airsoft is etc

if anyone has seen the French comedy “diner du contes” you’ll know what he’s in for 

that is nice work he should think about offering his services in airsoft community more! be a nice wee earner for him lol

Incredibly professional bloke. He’s even offered to replace the receiver if he knackers it! 

Assuming this all goes to plan, I’m definitely going to be asking him to have a crack at some other stuff for me. I’ll definitely ask him if he’s open to more jobs from this crowd, as you say it could be a decent earner for him.

Seeing the sample, I’m really looking forwards to progressing this. Once the engraver is finished, Mark at FMJUK is next and that deep, dark blue Cerakote is going to look sexy as hell!

• 4 weeks later...

Collecting the freshly engraved receiver in the morning. 

After dropping off my bits, one of the Oxford Colleges dropped a huge job in the engraver's lap  so it's taken a bit longer than normal. Not fussed, not going to be playing for a while!

Can't wait to see how it's come out. Next step will be Cerakote.

Doesn’t hurt to ask. He’s a very welcoming chap to talk to.

The only thing you’ll need to give him is a letter to explain that the RIF in question is for collection/skirmishing purposes and you stand to make no financial gain reproducing someone’s trades etc.

I don’t blame him for being thorough covering his back!

• 2 weeks later...

Heard back from Mark at FMJUK, he should have started spraying the M14 parts. E110 is oven-cure so shouldn’t be long before I can reassemble.

I bagged up screws and such for each step of disassembly separately so it should be fairly easy to pop it all back together. Still, although it’s not my first rodeo, I’ve printed out the TM exploded view to have at hand.

Might redo the cables while I’m at it. I’m not expecting extra pew, it’s already wired for a Gate, so it’s just 2.4mm tab to deans but it’s not the tidiest job. Let’s see how much it nags at me before the receiver comes back!

Now that the cerakoted parts are on their way back to me, I've given the stock one last rough-up with some fine grit paper and rub-down with some OSMO. It's a nice balance between having a deep, rich lustre and looking too clean and shiny.

She's gonna be purty

6DD706B5-7F3B-450D-8300-4AD8CABF98CB.jpeg

Edited by Alimcd

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.