Taiwangun Shipping Disruption (Brexit Related Content)

Speedbird_666
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

3 minutes ago, Brophy said:

Yeah, I've just had the email through.

No doubt any cost savings will be like you say, swallowed by "handling fees"

TG stock a lot of stuff that’s not readily available from UK suppliers, so for me cost is a lesser issue, it’s about having choice of products.

For example, they have the CYMA blue edition MP5K in stock, which I’ve yet to see here in the UK. 

Handling fees are annoying, but it’s the import duty that will be the kicker, if it’s charged at all. 

Orders above £135 also attract import duty, which can range from 0% to 25% of the item’s value depending on what it is, what material it is made from and its declared value.

10 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

TG stock a lot of stuff that’s not readily available from UK suppliers, so for me cost is a lesser issue, it’s about having choice of products.

For example, they have the CYMA blue edition MP5K in stock, which I’ve yet to see here in the UK. 

Handling fees are annoying, but it’s the import duty that will be the kicker, if it’s charged at all. 

Sales valued up to £135:

Import VAT is due, and should be handled by the overseas seller registering with HMRC.  In which case you just pay the VAT and no extra fees

Sales over £135 will be handled as normal, you just pay their export price

Then on arrival in the UK you get a bill for import VAT, import duty and handling fees

We can try contacting UK retailers about items that we want but aren’t listed.  Most often they can then get them via their suppliers 

If we never do that then we are cutting them out of the loop and having the ‘unknown’ charges plus take the personal risk of an item crossing the border

A UK retailer can make a trade import, saving on postage of individual packages etc 

1 hour ago, GothicGhost said:

What happens if you get sent a broken gun and needs to be returned to TG?

Do we need to pay all the costs?

I think now I would rather only deal with Uk sellers for guns or other expensive gear.

If you’re doing a warranty/repair etc then you won’t owe any vat/duty on the item (you might on services/parts)

But customs won’t know unless it’s declared.

When you send it overseas to be serviced/repaired then you need to stick a customs declaration on it - (call it a warranty repair etc) and the same applies when they post it back

Of course if we buy from UK dealers then you would then handle your warranty with the UK dealer

• Supporters

Here's a thought - do we know if the UK sellers that TWG supply might have asked them to not apply for UK VAT thereby placing the £140 minimum order into effect? That way they keep the UK sales and TWG get the wholesale without the hassle of applying for UK VAT registration (along with the fees it incurs).

• Supporters
56 minutes ago, RonLancs said:

Dum dum here, so we pay TG X amount then when it comes into the UK we pay a fee to the carrier (UPS)? 

The price on TG is ex-vat. You buy it, they ship it, you pay the carrier the VAT, duty and handling fee.

Basically it used to be Cost price + Polish VAT + Shipping. Now it's Cost price + shipping + UK Import Duty + UK VAT + fees.

1 minute ago, Lozart said:

The price on TG is ex-vat. You buy it, they ship it, you pay the carrier the VAT, duty and handling fee.

Basically it used to be Cost price + Polish VAT + Shipping. Now it's Cost price + shipping + UK Import Duty + UK VAT + fees.

So when / who do I pay?

• Supporters
2 minutes ago, RonLancs said:

So when / who do I pay?

You pay TG the cost plus the shipping. You then pay the rest to the carrier.

26 minutes ago, Lozart said:

Somebody told me that in Poland Airsoft replicas are exempt from VAT (23%) which in my mind doesn't sound right!   I read (can't remember where) that someone got this info from TG themselves at a fair. 

As a test I've just gone through with a VPN to make an order on ZL currency and there's no mention of VAT. A CM.097E came to 1039zl (£202) Google currency conversion, however the same gun without a VPN, (so in the UK) came to £186.  So that tells me there is a VAT reduction going on but it's only 8% difference?

I did this real quick without logging in with my TG account so the numbers could be off, maths isn't my strong-point 🙂

1 hour ago, ak2m4 said:

Somebody told me that in Poland Airsoft replicas are exempt from VAT (23%) which in my mind doesn't sound right!   I read (can't remember where) that someone got this info from TG themselves at a fair. 

As a test I've just gone through with a VPN to make an order on ZL currency and there's no mention of VAT. A CM.097E came to 1039zl (£202) Google currency conversion, however the same gun without a VPN, (so in the UK) came to £186.  So that tells me there is a VAT reduction going on but it's only 8% difference?

I did this real quick without logging in with my TG account so the numbers could be off, maths isn't my strong-point 🙂

It’s now irrelevant as to what the Polish VAT is.

Last year we were within the EU, so if you paid in accordance with local VAT rules then that was that.

Now we are not, so an EU seller doesn’t charge their VAT for export (or they charge the same price and don’t have to give their tax man a cut.

Our UK VAT is due on imports, either the Polish seller registers with HMRC for UK VAT and charges you then pays HMRC or they don’t charge you and it becomes due on point of arrival

2 hours ago, RonLancs said:

Dum dum here, so we pay TG X amount then when it comes into the UK we pay a fee to the carrier (UPS)? 

It depends on the level of the sale:

1) up to £135:

The overseas seller registers with HMRC, charges you with UK VAT included, puts all the details on the customs declaration and you pay no more on arrival

2) over £135:

The overseas seller doesn’t have to register, they don’t charge VAT

The parcel arrives at customs, you owe import VAT and they decide if import duty is due, you get a bill including a handling fee

3)up to £135 and the seller hasn’t  registered:

The parcel arrives at customs, no VAT declaration.  You get a bill for VAT and a handling fee for their time 

• Supporters
3 hours ago, ak2m4 said:

TWG & GF charge or rather CHARGED you 23%

Hungary is highest @ 27% blah blah blah...

it is there on the invoice if go into your GF account and look at detailed invoices

799ktQj.png

so now the VAT is collected & stays in UK

there may be some admin/fees on top

but overall the tax revenue is collected for UK purse

yes others will cream off admin crap too

• Supporters
7 hours ago, Tommikka said:

We can try contacting UK retailers about items that we want but aren’t listed.  Most often they can then get them via their suppliers 

If we never do that then we are cutting them out of the loop and having the ‘unknown’ charges plus take the personal risk of an item crossing the border

A UK retailer can make a trade import, saving on postage of individual packages etc 

This would be nice , just as long as some UK retailers(and I think it’s safe to say most established players know who I’m on about)step up there attitude to there customers As quite frankly there’s more than a few over here who’s customer service(or more precisely LACK off)really does suck and act as I’ve there doing us all a favour by taking our money off us . 

To be honest once I’m ready to order again I’m not even going to try and work it all out before hand I’m just going to slap my first big order in and see if I’m happy with the final price or if I feel like I’ve been buttfucked over the kitchen table without getting a reach around either ? 😳

Once it’s all done and dusted THEN I’ll decide wether I’ll be ordering again or looking for alternative sources for what I want .👍

I had an order in the TG basket for a few weeks for a CYMA 700A for £132.76.  They kindly sent an email every few weeks to me to remind me it was in there:

CM.700A (490FPS) - Olive Drab [CYMA]

CYMA | Dostępny

£132.76

I've just checked my basket and the same gun has reduced to £110.59.  That's about a 17% reduction, so UK customers aren't fully benefitting from not paying the local VAT rate in Poland (23%).  However, the RIF is still cheaper than in the UK, assuming you meet the minimum £140 threshold, and other discounts also complicate the calculation.

9 hours ago, RebelScum said:

I had an order in the TG basket for a few weeks for a CYMA 700A for £132.76.  They kindly sent an email every few weeks to me to remind me it was in there:

CYMA | Dostępny

£132.76

I've just checked my basket and the same gun has reduced to £110.59.  That's about a 17% reduction, so UK customers aren't fully benefitting from not paying the local VAT rate in Poland (23%).  However, the RIF is still cheaper than in the UK, assuming you meet the minimum £140 threshold, and other discounts also complicate the calculation.

Taking off 23% VAT would have resulted in a price of £107.94; the reduction is approximately 20% of the non-VAT price (£110.59)

Exchange rate fluctuations may have had an impact.

11 hours ago, RebelScum said:

CYMA | Dostępny

£132.76

Note that £133.76 to £110.59 is a 17% reduction, but that doesn’t indicate the percentage that had been previously added to the base price

£133.76 less £110.59 is a difference of £22.17, and that is both 17% of the £133 and 20% of the £110. (Approx)

To reverse calculate 23% you have to treat £133.76 as 123%
£133.76 / 123 * 100 or £133.76 / 1.23

The base price excluding Polish VAT was £108.75

• Supporters
10 minutes ago, Tommikka said:

Note that £133.76 to £110.59 is a 17% reduction, but that doesn’t indicate the percentage that had been previously added to the base price

£133.76 less £110.59 is a difference of £22.17, and that is both 17% of the £133 and 20% of the £110. (Approx)

To reverse calculate 23% you have to treat £133.76 as 123%
£133.76 / 123 * 100 or £133.76 / 1.23

The base price excluding Polish VAT was £108.75

Or just multiply the TWG price by 0.831

(Same meat different gravy)

£133.76 x 0.831 = £108.75 is what the price SHOULD be ex 23% VAT.

What they have done is knocked off 21% (just under)...

£110.59 x 1.21 = £133.89 (just under 21%) knocked off,

so TWG are likely skimming 2% admin fees...

Still cheap but not quite what it should be

• Supporters

Never hurts to simplify the workings out...

My missus works out percentages the long way,

I prefer to just say multiply by 1.2 for UK VAT.

Or x 1.23 for Polish VAT applied,

It is more of simplified method 1 sum on calculator or phone,

But as said same meat different gravy & all that...

End of day TWG "seem" to perhaps skimming 2%,

Not full exporting it zero 23% VAT - NEARLY at say just under 21%

12 minutes ago, Sitting Duck said:

As previously mentioned, it could be currency fluctuation. I've seen the prices go up and down a few quid each way quite a few times on TG.

I've no idea how frequently they update their conversion rates - it could be a built into their shops back-end system to pull the spot rate automatically.

• Supporters
16 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

As previously mentioned, it could be currency fluctuation. I've seen the prices go up and down a few quid each way quite a few times on TG.

I've no idea how frequently they update their conversion rates - it could be a built into their shops back-end system to pull the spot rate automatically.

Could be so you can apply the formula to UK prices,

and from the EU States in sterling etc....

I'm just showing you the x 0.831 formula to arrive back to ex 23%.

The currency fluctuation though "should" effect the inclusive,

as well as the ex-VAT price for UK.

It is fine though as a minor margin would allow for for discrepancies etc...

Poland's tax office have the authority in certain instances take money owed from your business account if they wish to.

Yup actually take the money from the account, where as UK can freeze the account, Poland can actually take money owed to them

1 hour ago, Sitting Duck said:

Or just multiply the TWG price by 0.831

(Same meat different gravy)

£133.76 x 0.831 = £108.75 is what the price SHOULD be ex 23% VAT.

What they have done is knocked off 21% (just under)...

£110.59 x 1.21 = £133.89 (just under 21%) knocked off,

Still cheap but not quite what it should be

Given that TG's UK prices change as the exchange rate fluctuates, I am not sure that they are skimming anything off.  If the item was put in his basket a while ago, there may have been enough fluctuation to account for the difference.

1 hour ago, Sitting Duck said:

Poland's tax office have the authority in certain instances take money owed from your business account if they wish to.

Yup actually take the money from the account, where as UK can freeze the account, Poland can actually take money owed to them

So can HMRC through Direct Recovery. The new rules came in a few years back just before I left the department. If you owed more than £1K in tax, and had over £5k stashed across your bank accounts, the money can be taken directly from the bank if you ignore HMRC trying to contact you.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.