Taiwangun Shipping Disruption (Brexit Related Content)

Speedbird_666
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters
Just now, Tommikka said:

.... and of course after the politicians make their minds up about what the civil servants are to do

Actually that is how you THINK it works...

But in fact Whitehall try to influence the politicians

They (Senior Civil Servants @ Whitehall) don't care who wins the GE

not really, Whitehall simply gets new puppets to play with & pull the strings

You might think this is bit far fetched, but suggest you watch some episodes of "Yes Minister"

which many retired servants & politicians have said it was pretty accurate of how it all works

1 hour ago, Sitting Duck said:

You might think this is bit far fetched, but suggest you watch some episodes of "Yes Minister"

which many retired servants & politicians have said it was pretty accurate of how it all works

I watched it on the original showing.

The PM picks their favourite spin doctor and appoints them as advisor, calls them a civil servant and takes their influence.

Ministers attempt to make their mark and are advised / influenced by their departments Permanent Secretary.

Their whims are going to get nowhere during their appointment (especially when a PM is shuffling ministers out regularly)

If it was all down to Whitehall telling the PM what they can do with Brexit then there have been a few fast changes along the way with Boris at the helm.

Whitehall is a long way from the civil servants who will implement the outcome of Brexit of course, Boris and friends need to tell them what it is - whether that’s from the politicians or rubber stamping what their SCS tell them they’re allowed 

• Supporters
6 minutes ago, Tommikka said:

I watched it on the original showing.

The PM picks their favourite spin doctor and appoints them as advisor, calls them a civil servant and takes their influence.

Ministers attempt to make their mark and are advised / influenced by their departments Permanent Secretary.

Their whims are going to get nowhere during their appointment (especially when a PM is shuffling ministers out regularly)

If it was all down to Whitehall telling the PM what they can do with Brexit then there have been a few fast changes along the way with Boris at the helm.

Whitehall is a long way from the civil servants who will implement the outcome of Brexit of course, Boris and friends need to tell them what it is - whether that’s from the politicians or rubber stamping what their SCS tell them they’re allowed 

which is why I said...

1 hour ago, Sitting Duck said:

Whitehall TRIES to influence the politicians

there are some senior civil servants who strongly advise senior politicians

(and then are very uncooperative if the politician scoff their advice)

Some may argue that is what Whitehall is there for - to some extent is true

The point being is that many of these senior civil servants remain in their position

whilst the politicians move on/take the fall at ballot box

(sometimes as a casualty of Whitehall's advice/action)

Not saying Whitehall runs the government...

but it certainly advises or helps steer the ship a little more than people believe

I’ve just received delivery of an item purchased from the US. Expected delivery time was 5 days. It took 32 days to arrive at my door due to significant delays with Customs checks, brought on by ports/airports and international couriers currently in chaos prepping for Brexit.

If you’re thinking of order from overseas, I would certainly a) avoid the Christmas rush and wait until New Year before ordering; and b) be prepared to wait much, much longer for your item to arrive (and accept all the risks of loss and damage that come with that).

Brexit isn’t only about price hikes on imports (from the EU). It’s about our borders being a hot mess for a long while to come.

Enjoy that sovereign tea, eh

• Supporters
On 11/12/2020 at 21:26, Sitting Duck said:

Could suggest that TWG are pushing for any sales asap, give fence sitters a kick up arse

but hmmm really think it is about VAT/WTO issue & paperwork for shipping/customs etc...

And just now 7:00am TWG announce last push for 10% discount

#WINTER10

NB: if a gun has " NEW " in the description/pic the code does NOT WORK on it it seems

(even if they have had the item in stock for fucking weeks - if it says NEW it may not work)

eg: M904G - yup 10% off

but M904E - nope no discount even though it was stocked before BF 15% offer

(was thinking of buying the stock tube version £112 x .85 discount = £95 back then

but thought nah... gotta draw the line as I'm out of hiding spaces now)

Watch what you order - in case it has NEW in description

and order in next 24/48 hrs as this thread originally stated

as always be mindful of what/where you order from...

US/Japan have nearly always been stopped by Customs imho

Ordering from China late Jan (if it is awaiting stock) or early Feb

can get hit by Chinese New Year (12th Feb I think)

if the China crap is still in far east come then - you are gonna be in for a wait

It's Christmas - the whole world is going nutz after a fucking crazy 2020

The MSM are going full throttle with the world is ending come 01/01/2021 & Brexit

then in the next story...

Shoppers are asked not to panic buy as no deal fear starts to spread...

image.jpeg.178ec0a62adcce2522bb3de7d8bdb63b.jpeg

Ho Ho fucking Ho

• Supporters
12 hours ago, Uncle Pauly said:

I’ve just received delivery of an item purchased from the US. Expected delivery time was 5 days. It took 32 days to arrive at my door due to significant delays with Customs checks, brought on by ports/airports and international couriers currently in chaos prepping for Brexit.

If you’re thinking of order from overseas, I would certainly a) avoid the Christmas rush and wait until New Year before ordering; and b) be prepared to wait much, much longer for your item to arrive (and accept all the risks of loss and damage that come with that).

Brexit isn’t only about price hikes on imports (from the EU). It’s about our borders being a hot mess for a long while to come.

Enjoy that sovereign tea, eh

Gerry Lynch on Twitter: ""Dad, that rat tasted weird." "Blue passports,  son, we got blue passports."… "

• Supporters
On 11/12/2020 at 20:56, Asomodai said:

Interesting from Airsoft World. 

IMG-20201211-WA0007.jpg

Many fair points indeed BUT equally I’d also say AW have an above average amount of brain damaged monkeys working for them so you can’t blame everything that goes wrong with your order from them on Brexit/coronavirus ?

7 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

Many fair points indeed BUT equally I’d also say AW have an above average amount of brain damaged monkeys working for them so you can’t blame everything that goes wrong with your order from them on Brexit/coronavirus ?

I could say that of the vast majority of Airsoft related shops :D

However in this case I don't doubt what they say is true. 

Tony Benn's stories about trying to specify the most efficient reactors when energy minister were well worth listening to.  The civil service wanted Magnox, the arms industry wanted Magnox and Magnox is what we all got, and indeed still pay for.  Fighting the civil service radicalised Benn.  He went into politics a decidedly middle of the road kind of chap.

The only state that uses Magnox now is North Korea.  The last UK Magnox was only shut down in 2015.   Lord only knows the extra cost over sixty years!

As for the Thick of It, I remember it coming out all too well.  After three decades of being involved in politics I was going for take the plunge working with one of the parties as a psephologist.  My girlfriend saw In the Loop and went ballistic, claiming that everyone involved from Malcolm Tucker down was shagging each other.   

As for Brexit, I ordered my last TW shipment weeks ago.  It weighed about as much as I do...

Last after the last Taiwangun order came through today.  Ordered on the 15th late at night.  

Since I seem to lose an AK mag each filmsim weekender, I decided to get a few spares.  Then I added a new 'fet for the G&G.  Then I thought about a couple of spare 1911 mags.  Then since i was ordering, I got some BBs....  

Update: AFAIK, all shipping to UK is now suspended until end of January (apart from food, medicine and other essentials).

Just had this confirmed by two retailers in Hong Kong, one in Russia and others across Europe. I assume US also.

Apparently due to new Covid restrictions relating to UK. Likewise, post from UK to overseas destinations is also on hold.

1 hour ago, Speedbird_666 said:

So it sounds like we have a trade deal.

Hopefully that still means cheap pew pews from Poland in the new year - once all this Covid stuff is sorted.

I did catch a snippet yesterday stating that we may have some how managed a free trade agreement, it will be of course at the cost of something Westminster gives zero craps about like fisherman or Ireland but whoop! We get to continue using TG and Gunfire for cheap!!!

19 minutes ago, sonofsammo said:

That's odd. I just got the same thing from gunfire...

10 minutes ago, Cannonfodder said:

Same here

D’oh! I got mixed up, you are correct, it’s Gunfire I got the message from. Still relevant to the thread though. 

• Supporters

So the EU trade agreement is no VAT on imports, but they do have customs duty now, which starts on imports of £135 last I checked. I'd like to hope that's just a temporary rule since the system's so backlogged right now perhaps, but legally I don't know of a reason for it.  Be interested to hear one, there's nothing in their terms of service.

Doesn't matter to me I buy either within the UK or from the US or Hong Kong but it's always good to know these things to keep options open in the future.

From what I gathered so far, it’s probably due to paperwork for export they now have to complete. I’m presuming that this £135 is a minimum spend, to cover/ justify filling out the paperwork?

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.