Advice on Gearbox Shells and Compatability

lukeB

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm in the process of building both L119a1 and a2 rifles, currently using existing krytac receiver/gearboxes. (1 aeg, 1 hpa swappable uppers/lowers)

To take them to the next level in terms of aesthetics would be receiver trades, but the only blank aeg receiver I can find in stock overseas is a cyma m4 (M058).

Obvious choice would be a cyma shell but I was considering a lonex/RA shell or even the full lonex gearbox as a base.  Not sure how it compares to the nautilus.

Does anyone know which gearbox shells are compatible with a CYMA receiver (M058)  krytac/lonex/RA etc, or is the stock shell a safer choice?

Having sold most of my AEG's in favour of HPA I only intend on keeping 1 m4 aeg for milsims, as such there is no budget on the gearbox build, I just don't want to run into any incompatibility or reliability issues.

Goal is 370fps, normal rof nothing crazy, with reliability the most important attribute.

I did consider ngrs/systema/gbls as a base but non of those are going to allow a swappable hpa lower, not to mention I'd like to be able to tech/service the rifles myself.

• Supporters

So - are you planning on keeping the Krytac upper? Or replacing the entire receiver?

If you're keeping the upper I'd say you need to either get a new Krytac lower and have that engraved or engrave the one you have.

If I go down the engraving route it would have to be new uppers and lowers due to how different the trident receivers look.

Sensible option would be keep the krytac bodies, slap some paint on them, and not worry about being too visually accurate.

But when has airsoft ever been sensible :) 

• Supporters
1 hour ago, lukeB said:

Sensible option would be keep the krytac bodies, slap some paint on them, and not worry about being too visually accurate.

But when has airsoft ever been sensible :) 

Thing is, the whole L119Ax crowd are massive stitch counters who will just spend all day pointing out why you just have an M4.

If you want to build accurate replicas start with the blank recievers and then look for parts to fit. I've used E&C boxes in both my 119's but Tomtac boxes do fit in cyma receivers too . I do have a Krytac Nautilus box that I had considdered using in the A2 for the ambi controls but although it did fit somehow I wasn't happy with it. 

3 hours ago, Davegolf said:

Like an A2 without continuous upper rail 👀

Or barrel length 

4 hours ago, Lozart said:

Thing is, the whole L119Ax crowd are massive stitch counters who will just spend all day pointing out why you just have an M4.

It's an absolute sod, since my A1 gas build i'm now looking at my AEG's and thinking 'that stock tube needs correcting' 🤣

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.