Convert a GBB to HPA or Slap an Engine in an AEG!

Trixxeo

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

so I'm fully committed to HPA, have all the stuff I need, bar a gun! well my AAP01 is my current choice... but..! I want an actual RIF.. the 2 usual options of a gbb conversion via mags, or a full engine in an AEG.. cost being what it is, what's peoples opinions on either route?

6 minutes ago, Davegolf said:

P90 GBB has reservoir, HPA it, no mag faff 😁

I know the we p90 has the reservoir in the mag? what brand has an in body one?

7 minutes ago, Trixxeo said:

I know the we p90 has the reservoir in the mag? what brand has an in body one?

No, the P90 has a reservoir (well, technically an extension tank) in the gun.

tap that, no mag faffing.

LOADS of other issues you’ll need to overcome, but not that one lol

2 minutes ago, rocketdogbert said:

No, the P90 has a reservoir (well, technically an extension tank) in the gun.

tap that, no mag faffing.

LOADS of other issues you’ll need to overcome, but not that one lol

lol are those p90 related issues or just gbb to hpa in general?

I run both.  A WE 416 with an armorer works drum mag hpa tapped and a cyma AK with a kythera engine in it.

I love them both. The 416 for the clatter and the kythera for the ultra quietness of it. It depends what you want- noise or silence :)

7 minutes ago, Trixxeo said:

lol are those p90 related issues or just gbb to hpa in general?

The P90. AEG mags don’t fit, so you have to buy the gbb mags.

The trigger mechanism is appaling, fortunately Rhesus Customs have a fix if you’re tech minded.

The nozzle is a weak point, buy  spares, 

That’s your starter for 10

2 minutes ago, rocketdogbert said:

The P90. AEG mags don’t fit, so you have to buy the gbb mags.

The trigger mechanism is appaling, fortunately Rhesus Customs have a fix if you’re tech minded.

The nozzle is a weak point, buy  spares, 

That’s your starter for 10

I shall avoid the p90! I'm still undecided. if I go aeg to hpa it will probably be an mp5. gbb.. I dunno.. just nothing m4.. the platform is so boring after 17 years of them lol

18 minutes ago, sjhirst said:

I run both.  A WE 416 with an armorer works drum mag hpa tapped and a cyma AK with a kythera engine in it.

I love them both. The 416 for the clatter and the kythera for the ultra quietness of it. It depends what you want- noise or silence :)

that I haven't decided on yet lol. my only decision is no m4 platforms that's it!

OMFG no M4! that is a joy to hear lol!

Everyone has there preferences and tastes, personally I can’t stand hoses into mags 🤢

So to that end you’re looking at specific GBB guns you can connect air to grip or stock. Or engine in an AEG.

As above I suppose you have to ask;

Noise or stealth?

CQB or field?

Pistol, SMG or rifle?

You’ve got to give some inclination as to what YOU want to achieve?

The P90 does require effort, but all the best/interesting guns do.

The non metal front end kills it for me otherwise I’d have had one ASAP.

Ultimate no sweat performance would easily be MWS + HPA drum.

It's a hard choice.

GBB with tapped mags work but it's still a faf on the mag change, more so than with any other system. It can be done fairly cheaply if you can get the right adapters that replace the gas valves. The gun remains the same, And the pressure is done via a tamper lockable regulator on a HPA bottle. My shooting partner has a VFC 416 with steel internals and a M14 EBR with steel internals. In all honestly he spends more time tweaking them that actually shooting. The regs in particular seem really fussy when you try to dial in for 350fps with the heavier internals. It's taken him a fair few hours to get them where he wants them, and most of that was spent on an air rifle shooting range just playing to try find the sweet spot for skirmishing.

AEG with an engine I would say is the least immersive. The engines are nothing more than a solenoid and retractable nozzle. The gun is tapped rather than the mags so you can mag change plugged in without any additional faf. You do loose any sensation of recoil, the solenoid had virtually no mass, and so it's more like shooting a PCP air rifle. It's probably the easiest to set up as you only need the compatible engine, a single adapter set and bottle with the tamper lockable regulator.

The best I would say is the Daytona Airsoft system. It's a mechanical gas system with blowback. They have a good amount of mass to them, and add real recoil to the system. The gun is tapped, and the mags are regular AEG mags. The biggest problem is the base gun has to be compatible to the exact system you pick. It is far more restrictive with gun models, and because it's fully mechanical it requires a lot more servicing. It's also very expensive. The E&L AK conversion kit is $650 + the base gun. 

I am fresh from slapping an engine in an AEG and I have to say the whole process was completely painless.

I did do some research in advance for an ideal AEG for my needs, to suit me and my play style and for some experiences with said base gun.

Cylinder replacement in, all lined up perfectly, just need to tweak some settings but it was a great introduction for me personally.

I have the gun I wanted with the setup I wanted. Roll on 13th to christen her.

15 hours ago, Steveocee said:

I am fresh from slapping an engine in an AEG and I have to say the whole process was completely painless.

I did do some research in advance for an ideal AEG for my needs, to suit me and my play style and for some experiences with said base gun.

Cylinder replacement in, all lined up perfectly, just need to tweak some settings but it was a great introduction for me personally.

I have the gun I wanted with the setup I wanted. Roll on 13th to christen her.

I still can't decide. as I keep seeing people with really cool blowback ak's.. so the chatter from the bolt would sound cool.. I'm trying to get away from buying new guns after each game lol.. I had a bad habit of that years ago.. 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.