Reducing FPS

GeneralJock

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi Everybody,

I know the above will surprise everyone, but I am looking to lower the FPS on an ASG L96 bolt action so that my son (who is under 18) can use it at a local club. The club's limit is 350FPS on snipers if they are used by someone under 18. The ASG fires 415FPS +/- 10% out of the box. It's not a great range for upgrade parts in general, but it was a cheap Black Friday deal and a good gun for him to learn up on.

I'm pretty handy at modding things, so I have come up with the idea of snipping a couple of coils off the bottom of the spring, and reattaching the spring collar so that it will fit straight back in. This has to mean the spring will store less energy = lower FPS. I may bugger the gun, but I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Has anyone done this? If not, can you recommend where I can find a lower power spring (I think an M90 would do) that would fit this ASG? I haven't much experience with bolt action snipers, so I'm not sure if they are all the same springs or not.

Thanks for any advice or tips!

Jock

Most sniper rifles are much of a muchness and to be fair that ASG is probably a copy of something.

The trick is to find out of what and then either clip the spring or get a lower power spring to suit.

While you are hunting to find out what it is a clone of. I would recommend you look at what cheap upgrades you can do to the hop to improve consistency. Just replacing the bucking for under £10 can make a huge difference.

Every cheap sniper i have ever seen tends to be pretty terrible in that department.

1 hour ago, Groot said:

The trick is to find out of what and then either clip the spring or get a lower power spring to suit.

Yeah, I'm realising there is a big branding thing going on with fewer manufacturers than sellers. From your reply you don't think clipping the spring's a bad idea? I am sure I will work out where to find a generic replacement. Thanks for the advice.

2 minutes ago, Chev Chelios said:

I left a TM VSR10 cocked for a week, I cant remember how much power it lost but it was enough for me to replace the spring.

LOL... nice. All I need is a cheap chrono and I could try that!

54 minutes ago, ak2m4 said:

Acetech AC5000 is generally my goto but we just got these in stock. £25

chrono1-800x800.jpg

Interesting. How consistent are they?

Yeah, I'm realising there is a big branding thing going on with fewer manufacturers than sellers. From your reply you don't think clipping the spring's a bad idea? I am sure I will work out where to find a generic replacement. Thanks for the advice.

Nothing wrong with clipping a few coils to drop 5 - 10 FPS
Clipping to drop 60 or so, could result in a short spring. 
It will work but you will probably end up with a nicer pull with a weaker spring. Rather than pulling a shortened harder one. 

You also have the potential of joule creep to worry about.

So I would do the following.  

* First step is get access to a chrono.
* Do any upgrades to the hop and ptfe the unit for airseal.

* Take the bolt apart, check the quality of the oring. Replace and lube as necessary

* Decide on what weight ammo it going to be used.
* Set the hop

You are now ready to chrono and work out if you need to remove a few coils or if a new spring is a better option.

WOW.

Well guys I got mangled (on a bloody v-pub) with a few mates the other night, and the following day one of them said "Did you get that chrono you were talking about?". I said "What chrono?". We all laughed.

Next day, that HT Chrono dropped onto my doormat from Amazon. Absolutely no memory of buying it.

Anyhoo, clearly fate. It's a fantastic little unit! I chrono'd the guns, and it reported pretty much bang on the same as the professional chrono at the club. It will record up to 20 shots in a burst and give you the FPS for each shot, and the average over all the whole burst. You can set the weight of the BBs and the calibre, and the unit gives to the estimated range and shot energy. Chargable through a mini-USB and as light as a feather. Zero instructions with it, so press press shit randomly and you'll figure out how it works. Wifi too, but no idea what that's for. Thoroughly recommend. Even when smashed up, I managed to locate what seems to be the cheapest chrono on the web. I'm well pleased. Must get battered more often... oh hang on, not possible.

Anyway, totally recommend it. Hope it doesn't fail after a week but we'll see.

Also - the ASG L96 chrono'd at 410 FPS straight out of the box on 0.20g BBs, coming down to 315FPS with 0.30g BBs which is the weight recommended in the manual.

Thanks for all the other replies and advice guys, appreciated.

Jock

On 29/11/2020 at 22:32, Groot said:

Nothing wrong with clipping a few coils to drop 5 - 10 FPS
Clipping to drop 60 or so, could result in a short spring. 
It will work but you will probably end up with a nicer pull with a weaker spring. Rather than pulling a shortened harder one. 

You also have the potential of joule creep to worry about.

So I would do the following.  

* First step is get access to a chrono.
* Do any upgrades to the hop and ptfe the unit for airseal.

* Take the bolt apart, check the quality of the oring. Replace and lube as necessary

* Decide on what weight ammo it going to be used.
* Set the hop

You are now ready to chrono and work out if you need to remove a few coils or if a new spring is a better option.

Excellent advice thanks. I'll go shooting with it this weekend, then it's coming apart on the kitchen table on Sunday.

On 02/12/2020 at 22:20, GeneralJock said:

Also - the ASG L96 chrono'd at 410 FPS straight out of the box on 0.20g BBs, coming down to 315FPS with 0.30g BBs which is the weight recommended in the manual.

Stated site FPS limits are usually with 0.20g's though - you may want to check with them.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.