Buying RIF

Gorilla316

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all. 

So I'm very new to Airsoft. I'm reading alot of rules and regulations. And not really seeing an answer to a question I have.

I want to spend some money on guns (not two-tone as I see them as a waste of money). But I'm aware you need a good "defence" i.e UKARA registration to buy realistic guns. 

I'm lucky to own a small film production company. And have brought two Glock 17s from an online retailer for a future production in 2021. These Glocks are none firing replicas. So all aboveboard.

My question is can I use my "film company" defence to buy my Airsoft replicas and use them as such..?

Thanks in advance.

4 hours ago, Gorilla316 said:

Hi all. 

So I'm very new to Airsoft. I'm reading alot of rules and regulations. And not really seeing an answer to a question I have.

I want to spend some money on guns (not two-tone as I see them as a waste of money). But I'm aware you need a good "defence" i.e UKARA registration to buy realistic guns. 

I'm lucky to own a small film production company. And have brought two Glock 17s from an online retailer for a future production in 2021. These Glocks are none firing replicas. So all aboveboard.

My question is can I use my "film company" defence to buy my Airsoft replicas and use them as such..?

Thanks in advance.

Or just do 3 games at a registered site👍🙂

Regards 

Are you buying them new or secondhand? 

I used to be a film student as far as im aware you can as long as you can prove how they will be used 😄

1 hour ago, Leonine said:

Are you buying them new or secondhand? 

I used to be a film student as far as im aware you can as long as you can prove how they will be used 😄

It is just a matter of convincing the seller that you have a valid use (as they are the ones risking a fine under the VCRA)

Or convincing customs if you are importing 

Note that being a film student is not a good enough Defence under the VCRA.  Student films do not need the viewer to cross their perception of reality, student films are there to demonstrate the student has taken in and applied the techniques of film production 

1 minute ago, Tommikka said:

It is just a matter of convincing the seller that you have a valid use (as they are the ones risking a fine under the VCRA)

Or convincing customs if you are importing 

Note that being a film student is not a good enough Defence under the VCRA.  Student films do not need the viewer to cross their perception of reality, student films are there to demonstrate the student has taken in and applied the techniques of film production 

Yea I know I was just stating that what I learned when I was a student doing film 🙂 it has to be a proper film or series to warrant the use of a realistic firearm etc 🙂 

My view is the VCRA is very unambiguous and ambiguous at the same time. The defences are very clear, the ambiguity creeps in when you apply the defence to your circumstance. If you are a film maker and I was selling you a rif I would ask proof of the production and how you would use them in the production. 

Otherwise what would stop people starting a production company on companies for £30 or whatever it is and they purchasing all the rifs they want. 

As it’s been said the vendor needs to do the due diligence as they are in the firing line if they sell to someone who they are unsure of. 

25 minutes ago, GenuineGerman said:

If you are a film maker and I was selling you a rif I would ask proof of the production and how you would use them in the production. 

But then unless you are an expert in documents or film etc you wouldn’t know. Anyone can get fake documents and give you a load of realistic “facts” about production etc. The same as someone buying a gun with a “ukara”. unless you know someone who can check the database. U are selling your gun based on trust and what you accept as proof. No matter what information you are given it can be faked in some form. 🧐

6 minutes ago, Leonine said:

But then unless you are an expert in documents or film etc you wouldn’t know. Anyone can get fake documents and give you a load of realistic “facts” about production etc. The same as someone buying a gun with a “ukara”. unless you know someone who can check the database. U are selling your gun based on trust and what you accept as proof. No matter what information you are given it can be faked in some form. 🧐

Exactly my point, the circumstance of the defence is where the selling needs to work on trust. 99% of people have a genuine reason to buy a rif and you can get a feel from someone If they are being suspicious.

You could just pay membership to the MVT and then buy one as a reenactor. 

As with real firearms being above board makes you an easy target for the law and the 1% who flout the rules ruin it for everyone else 

1 minute ago, GenuineGerman said:

Exactly my point, the circumstance of the defence is where the selling needs to work on trust. 99% of people have a genuine reason to buy a rif and you can get a feel from someone If they are being suspicious.

It’s like I will only sell to someone who either has a decent profile on the forum (active and who has made comments like yourself in past) or (Has been around for a while who owns guns), A picture or so from a site who they can name and I could contact if needed to. :) 

8 minutes ago, GenuineGerman said:

You could just pay membership to the MVT and then buy one as a reenactor. 

As with real firearms being above board makes you an easy target for the law and the 1% who flout the rules ruin it for everyone else 

Sorry I'm really new to this. What is MVT?. I'm more than happy to buy a membership to a registered authority.

I just don't wanna have to spend money on two-tone guns to just use them three times in order to gain the right to use realistic looking ones. If that makes sense.

6 minutes ago, Gorilla316 said:

Sorry I'm really new to this. What is MVT?. I'm more than happy to buy a membership to a registered authority.

I just don't wanna have to spend money on two-tone guns to just use them three times in order to gain the right to use realistic looking ones. If that makes sense.

MVT is the military vehicle trust, this means you get covered until there Public liability insurance for re-enactment events which is a defence for owning a rif 🙂

18 minutes ago, GenuineGerman said:

MVT is the military vehicle trust, this means you get covered until there Public liability insurance for re-enactment events which is a defence for owning a rif 🙂

I’m guessing they would still have to buy their guns tho 🧐🙂

The problem you will possibly face @Gorilla316is that some retailers may deny you. Some will accept too, same as here. It’s just based on what they personally accept to cover themselves....

Also for production etc it’s best buying second hand guns than new guns in my opinion as it’s cheaper...

2 hours ago, Leonine said:

I’m guessing they would still have to buy their guns tho 🧐🙂

The problem you will possibly face @Gorilla316is that some retailers may deny you. Some will accept too, same as here. It’s just based on what they personally accept to cover themselves....

Also for production etc it’s best buying second hand guns than new guns in my opinion as it’s cheaper...

Absolutely and owning a few blank firing rifs myself this is very expensive. 

I completely agree so retailers my choose to accept some may not. 

2 hours ago, Gorilla316 said:

One thing I would add to this is before you pay to join something like the MVT make sure you read through the T&Cs as they may have rules around weapons training and/or the amount of events you have to attend each season. 

For example the group I’m a member of me all have pli through the group but in order to have membership of the group we have to attend at least 3 events per season to qualify to maintain membership for the following year. In the case of this year it have been a couple of private events and we also run safe weapons training for members that do have rifs with is compulsory in order to gain/maintain membership. 

However not all groups do this. 

2 hours ago, GenuineGerman said:

Absolutely and owning a few blank firing rifs myself this is very expensive. 

I completely agree so retailers my choose to accept some may not. 

One thing I would add to this is before you pay to join something like the MVT make sure you read through the T&Cs as they may have rules around weapons training and/or the amount of events you have to attend each season. 

For example the group I’m a member of me all have pli through the group but in order to have membership of the group we have to attend at least 3 events per season to qualify to maintain membership for the following year. In the case of this year it have been a couple of private events and we also run safe weapons training for members that do have rifs with is compulsory in order to gain/maintain membership. 

However not all groups do this. 

Same here. We have to attend three games to keep membership of club.

Regards 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.