Self Contained HPA/Co2 Setups - Looking for Advice

Lozart

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

I've been looking into an HPA conversion on one (or more) of my DMR setups for the consistency of FPS etc. The part that has always put me off is the whole tank and line malarkey and while I'm sure that's fine for 40RPS BB hoses I'm looking at semi only, targeted shots so the limits imposed by CO2 bulbs aren't going to be such a problem!

I'm a complete noob at this sort of stuff other than having a bog standard Tippmann paintball marker donkey's years ago so here's the question. If I go CO2 as the power source is there any major issues with mixing manufacturers, which engines work well for what I'm trying to do and is there anything I need to consider before jumping in? I'm looking at doing my MK12 first as it's the easiest to get parts for but my M14 EBR is also an option assuming I can get something with a suitable offset nozzle. I like the look of the purely mechanical systems (Kythera, PDiK etc) but the only offsets I can see are the Wolverine Hydra and the P* F2 so any suggestions there would be helpful too.

Additionally is it something I should look at second hand parts for or am I best off going new?

You have the Wrath Co2 stocks that will fit on an AEG Ar15 type pew pew the 12g version gets around 150-250 shots adjustable power 175-600 FPS with a 0.2g. Then you can use whatever engine you like to fit in the gearbox shell.

If a buffer tube is not going to work you can get things like the Mancraft U Shape reg and do the same thing but hide it in a solid stock ETC.

Another option to think about that I have been using for the last few years is direct filling Co2 into GHK blowback magazines (Called the devil hunter mod) and am over the moon with the results. 

• Supporters
14 minutes ago, Chev Chelios said:

You have the Wrath Co2 stocks that will fit on an AEG Ar15 type pew pew the 12g version gets around 150-250 shots adjustable power 175-600 FPS with a 0.2g. Then you can use whatever engine you like to fit in the gearbox shell.

If a buffer tube is not going to work you can get things like the Mancraft U Shape reg and do the same thing but hide it in a solid stock ETC.

Another option to think about that I have been using for the last few years is direct filling Co2 into GHK blowback magazines (Called the devil hunter mod) and am over the moon with the results. 

I've been looking at the Wraith stocks for the EBR as it has the Crane stock on it but my MK12 is the full stock style so maybe the Wraith adaptor on a standard reg hidden in the stock?

How does the blowback mag power the HPA engine then? 

With a full stock I would go with something like https://shop-mancraft.com/en/co2-adaptors/184-hrr-with-u-shape-expansion-chamber.html around £150 vs £250 for the Wrath stock I have one for my bolt action and with a bit of fettling it fits in the stock so an A2 style full stock will take it no problem. I have only put around 100 shots through it due to being covid so no experience over the longevity of it yet.

Sorry I should of been a bit more specific I dont use the GHK mag filled with Co2 to power a HPA engine I use it to power GHK gas blow back rifles. Get sub 10" groups at 70 meters with a 370mm barrel with all the fun of a bolt lock and blowback.

• Supporters

Cool, thanks for that. I have looked at a gas gun but as I already have the AEG MK12 and I'm happy with the externals, hop barrel etc it's not a route for me right now.

The Mancraft expansion chamber was something I looked at but they say it does 40-70 shots per cartridge. Must be running it pretty high FPS! Is yours with one of their SDiK units or something else?

• 1 month later...

I imagine you'd get plenty of shots even on a 12g bulb, though if you can I'd definitely recommend going for the 33g Wraith stock if it would fit your build. I've been tempted to explore some sort of CO2 option when I finally HPA my TM m14, as having it all self-contained is ideal and as you said you don't need a huge tank if you're running semi-auto only, though I fear I may have to go the tank route with the Polarstar F2 I plan on fitting into it.

I run a Wolverine Bolt in one of my VSRs and it typically gets me around 140 shots per 12g bulb while I'm running it at 2.3J on .48s. I'll swear by Wolverine products when it comes to anything HPA; their kit is fantastic, if a little on the pricey side!

On the topic of purely mechanical systems... I can see the allure, but it's not a big deal. Batteries for HPA setups are tiny and pretty unobtrusive and you won't be running out of juice; my battery barely loses any charge through a whole skirmish day. I've heard they can be not as consistent as battery powered setups, but that's literally just 2nd hand rumour I've heard and I have no experience that would either confirm or disprove this.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.