What Would You do?

Cyberlawyer

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So I debated internally what to do with this or even if I should post it, but I have decided to post it on an anonymous basis and see what the forum advice is.

A couple of days ago I purchased a GBB pistol from a major airsoft retail establishment. The item arrived today by courier and I had my first chance to open it about an hour ago. To my surprise I discovered that this pistol is clearly not new. There are signs of paint wear on the sharp edges of breach block where the slide rubs it when cycling, paint wear on the the barrel threads and wear on the underside of the outer barrel from the slide cycling (yes I have cycled the slide as that was how I was able to see them, but only a couple of times and the wear is from way more cycling than that).  Now I’m not saying the gun has been extensively used and it seems in excellent condition, but it has clearly been fired before and more than just a couple of test shots for functionality checking.

Now my dilemma, I’m sure I could contact the

retailer and send it back for a refund, but this is the only one of this particular pistol I have found in the U.K. that anyone had in stock. So getting my money back is no help in terms of sourcing the pistol I want and the one I have seems to be functionally perfect and the marks that it has will appear on a brand new one after I put a few mags through it and holster it a couple of dozen times.

Part of me thinks I should just put it it out of my mind be glad I found the pistol I want and get on with it (in general I have no problems with buying lightly used well maintained GBBs from reputable sellers with exactly these types of marks). The other half of me is angry that I paid for a new pistol off of a retailers website and received one that has clearly been used before, however lightly.

What would you do?

Tricky, but good find 👍🏻

Like you say, you can’t get another soon. Personally I’d write to them in conciliatory tones, tell them you don’t want a refund, but a gesture of some kind would be appreciated (extra mag?).

7 minutes ago, rocketdogbert said:

Tricky, but good find 👍🏻

Like you say, you can’t get another soon. Personally I’d write to them in conciliatory tones, tell them you don’t want a refund, but a gesture of some kind would be appreciated (extra mag?).

+1 on that.

That would be my move.

Assuming a refund and sourcing another in a timeframe you're happy with is completely out of the question I'd likely contact them with whatever means you're most comfortable (I prefer email for this sort of thing so I have a 'log' of what is said, but appreciate some prefer a phonecall because you can be more personable) and explain the situation much as you have here. If it were me I'd likely be seeking a partial refund of some kind, failing that as @rocketdogbertsaid some for of compensation/gesture. What you'd consider appropriate/adequate is ultimately up to you, I personally hate it when the resolution to this sort of thing is a voucher for instance... but if that's of use to you because you plan on using the retailer again then it's better than nothing.

• Supporters

Sounds maybe a display model? The one they've had sat in the cabinet and been handled by customers visiting the shop/dry fired by them.

How much wear and tear that'd be is hard to gauge, but tbh it's up to you if you think it's too much for you to live with.

Maybe if you say what it is and see if folks like asomodai can find you a version for sale elsewhere?

• Supporters

I’m with all of the above fine gentleman , contact them via Email word it in a none confrontational way and send LOADS of pictures so they know your not trying to pull a fast one on them , don’t ask for anything straight off the bat wait and see if or what they offer in compensation , if no offer forward coming to you then broach the subject but play it fairly easy in there direction tell them you’d be happy with a partial refund , store credit or some goods(quite often shops’ll happily give credit or goods as it’s much easier to loose some freebies as write offs than to refund cash) as an offer of good will for there ‘error’ over the status of the gun ? 

Had the same a couple of years back with an AEG.  Box had no manual etc too.  I figured that it would look the same with regards wear after the first game, so was not too fussed.   I simply dropped them a line saying that this was the last time I was buying from them, and pointed out why.  

I got no reply and have since bought my toys elsewhere.  

I'm still happy with the rifle.  

I've experienced something similar, sent a few pics to the retailer and agreed a percentage refund. Leaves everyone with a reasonable deal and minimal inconvenience.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.